insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists - Setup

This is a discussion on insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists - Setup ; On my RedHat9 machine I have an HP (USB port) printer locally connected on /dev/usb/lp0. I noticed that when the machines boots, I get an error from insmod: insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists insmod: insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/usb/printer.o ...

  1. insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists

    On my RedHat9 machine I have an HP (USB port) printer locally
    connected on /dev/usb/lp0. I noticed that when the machines boots, I
    get an error from insmod:

    insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists
    insmod: insmod: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/usb/printer.o failed
    insmod: insmod: insmod printer failed

    This is seen when I boot to runlevel 5 to KDE. I switched to boot to
    runlevel 3 to see what would happen. I don't get the insmod warnings
    booting to runlevel 3. Does anyone know what this is all about?

  2. Re: insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists

    On Aug 8, 9:43 pm, tek wrote:
    > On my RedHat9 machine I have an HP (USB port) printer locally
    > connected on /dev/usb/lp0. I noticed that when the machines boots, I
    > get an error from insmod:
    >
    > insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists
    > insmod: insmod: insmod
    > /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/usb/printer.o failed
    > insmod: insmod: insmod printer failed
    >
    > This is seen when I boot to runlevel 5 to KDE. I switched to boot to
    > runlevel 3 to see what would happen. I don't get the insmod warnings
    > booting to runlevel 3. Does anyone know what this is all about?

    Strange? After an hour of booting and rebooting I discovered that my
    USB connected DVD drive was the issue. It didn't matter whether it was
    on or off. As long as the drive was connected, the printer.o module
    was being loaded. By mistake no doubt because I have two other USB
    devices connected which do not cause any strange insmod warnings. So,
    the resolution is to just ignore it since the printer still works once
    the machine fully boots up.

  3. Re: insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists

    tek wrote:
    > On Aug 8, 9:43 pm, tek wrote:
    >> On my RedHat9 machine I have an HP (USB port) printer locally
    >> connected on /dev/usb/lp0. I noticed that when the machines boots, I
    >> get an error from insmod:
    >> insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists
    >> insmod: insmod: insmod
    >> /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/usb/printer.o failed
    >> insmod: insmod: insmod printer failed
    >> This is seen when I boot to runlevel 5 to KDE. I switched to boot to
    >> runlevel 3 to see what would happen. I don't get the insmod warnings
    >> booting to runlevel 3. Does anyone know what this is all about?

    > Strange? After an hour of booting and rebooting I discovered that my
    > USB connected DVD drive was the issue. It didn't matter whether it was
    > on or off. As long as the drive was connected, the printer.o module
    > was being loaded. By mistake no doubt because I have two other USB
    > devices connected which do not cause any strange insmod warnings. So,
    > the resolution is to just ignore it since the printer still works once
    > the machine fully boots up.

    That doesn't make a lick of sense. Have you tried switching to a different usb
    port to see if the behavior tracks the drive or the port? Also you might look at
    the earliest usb lines in dmesg to see if there is something strange there. I
    can't imagine why any manufacturer would associate a printer function with a DVD
    drive even a burner.

    --
    The Iraqi government has not prosecuted a single Iraqi for killing American
    troops. At least the government supports its citizens.

  4. Re: insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists

    On Aug 9, 12:13 am, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > tek wrote:
    > > On Aug 8, 9:43 pm, tek wrote:
    > >> On my RedHat9 machine I have an HP (USB port) printer locally
    > >> connected on /dev/usb/lp0. I noticed that when the machines boots, I
    > >> get an error from insmod:
    > >> insmod: insmod: a module named printer already exists
    > >> insmod: insmod: insmod
    > >> /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/kernel/drivers/usb/printer.o failed
    > >> insmod: insmod: insmod printer failed
    > >> This is seen when I boot to runlevel 5 to KDE. I switched to boot to
    > >> runlevel 3 to see what would happen. I don't get the insmod warnings
    > >> booting to runlevel 3. Does anyone know what this is all about?

    > > Strange? After an hour of booting and rebooting I discovered that my
    > > USB connected DVD drive was the issue. It didn't matter whether it was
    > > on or off. As long as the drive was connected, the printer.o module
    > > was being loaded. By mistake no doubt because I have two other USB
    > > devices connected which do not cause any strange insmod warnings. So,
    > > the resolution is to just ignore it since the printer still works once
    > > the machine fully boots up.

    > That doesn't make a lick of sense. Have you tried switching to a different usb
    > port to see if the behavior tracks the drive or the port? Also you might look at
    > the earliest usb lines in dmesg to see if there is something strange there. I
    > can't imagine why any manufacturer would associate a printer function with a DVD
    > drive even a burner.
    >
    > --
    > The Iraqi government has not prosecuted a single Iraqi for killing American
    > troops. At least the government supports its citizens.
    > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3832
    > nizkorhttp://www.giwersworld.org/nizkook/nizkook.phtml
    > Mission Accomplishedhttp://www.giwersworld.org/opinion/mission.phtmla12

    I sure have. I moved everything to different ports and booted the
    machine each time I added a new device. Once I got to the DVD drive
    that's when the insmod messages started being displayed. The drive is
    made by Memorex.

+ Reply to Thread