How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5 - Setup

This is a discussion on How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5 - Setup ; Hi! I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5. Downloaded from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/pen...oducts/rpPppoe It's a dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet working with windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even ...

  1. How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    Hi!
    I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with
    CentOS 5.
    Downloaded from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/pen...oducts/rpPppoe
    It's a dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet
    working with windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even
    blinking of my MODEM ROUTER, WHICH I CONNECTED THROUGH RJ-45 LAN port.
    I am listing the steps but any how I am not able to connect with
    internet. Please show me path!

    1. first I had test ifconfig eth0
    >> OUTPUT comes like

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14..................
    inet6 addr:.........
    UP BROADCAST..............

    2. Then With
    pppoe-setup
    1. userneme : .............
    2. Interface: eth0
    3. demand value: 100000
    4. DNS: server
    5. passwd:
    6. re-type passwd:
    7. firewall: 0
    8. Accept settings: y
    9. pppoe-start

    >> eth0 also not assigned by any IP address
    >> eth0 not activated at the time of booting
    >> all has been worked from 'root'

    ping www.google.com or firefox access > www.google.com [not working]

  2. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 03:54, jatrojoomla escreveu:

    > Hi!
    > I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with
    > CentOS 5.
    > Downloaded from
    > http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/pen...oducts/rpPppoe It's a
    > dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet working with
    > windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even blinking of my MODEM
    > ROUTER, WHICH I CONNECTED THROUGH RJ-45 LAN port.

    i believe you are doing a great confusion here:

    if you have a router connected to the pc by LAN, you should not use pppoe
    protocols, instead just plain tcp/ip on lan.

  3. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    On Aug 6, 8:15 am, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 03:54, jatrojoomla escreveu:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with
    > > CentOS 5.
    > > Downloaded from
    > >http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/pen...pPppoeIt's a
    > > dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet working with
    > > windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even blinking of my MODEM
    > > ROUTER, WHICH I CONNECTED THROUGH RJ-45 LAN port.

    > i believe you are doing a great confusion here:
    >
    > if you have a router connected to the pc by LAN, you should not use pppoe
    > protocols, instead just plain tcp/ip on lan.

    It's modem-router for ADSL connection means you could connect either
    from USB port or RJ-45 LAN port. both have on that device
    with windows 2000 I am only use this modem lan port there & PPPoE for
    windows working fine there

  4. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 05:34, jatrojoomla escreveu:

    > It's modem-router for ADSL connection means you could connect either
    > from USB port or RJ-45 LAN port. both have on that device
    > with windows 2000 I am only use this modem lan port there & PPPoE for
    > windows working fine there

    you only need to conf pppoe or pppoa protocols if you have a simple adsl
    modem that connects to a usb port or if the modem is internal. if it is
    actually a router (is it?) you will not use pppoe protocols anymore.
    Anyway, ethernet devices (your eth0) don't work with ppp protocols.

    Try to simple configure your lan (eth0) and remember to use the modem adress
    as the default gateway.

    example of eth0 settings

    ip=192.168.1.1
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    gateway=192.168.1.254 (this must be the router ip, check in it's manuals or
    in your win2k settings the gateway it is using)

    and you will get internet... know that most linux users change there usb
    adsl modems to lan->adsl bridges ou adsl-routers just to don't have to deal
    with the pppoe configuration pain. and you are trying to do the opposite
    forget pppoe, the router will take care of that by it's own.

    regards

  5. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    > you only need to conf pppoe or pppoa protocols if you have a simple adsl
    > modem that connects to a usb port or if the modem is internal. if it is
    > actually a router (is it?) you will not use pppoe protocols anymore.
    > Anyway, ethernet devices (your eth0) don't work with ppp protocols.
    >
    > Try to simple configure your lan (eth0) and remember to use the modem adress
    > as the default gateway.
    >
    > example of eth0 settings
    >
    > ip=192.168.1.1
    > netmask=255.255.255.0
    > gateway=192.168.1.254 (this must be the router ip, check in it's manuals or
    > in your win2k settings the gateway it is using)
    >
    > and you will get internet... know that most linux users change there usb
    > adsl modems to lan->adsl bridges ou adsl-routers just to don't have to deal
    > with the pppoe configuration pain. and you are trying to do the opposite
    > forget pppoe, the router will take care of that by it's own.
    >
    > regards

    it's my single PC with Windows 2K & CentOS Installed. from this PC I
    am directly connecting through my modem via LAN port Internet from
    WIN2k. & My ISP not given me any IP address just a user name &
    password.
    They also give me pppoe Suit to install & configure on Win2k for
    connecting internet.

    same thing I am now trying to do with CentOS.

    Thanks & regards

  6. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 14:06, jatrojoomla escreveu:

    > it's my single PC with Windows 2K & CentOS Installed. from this PC I
    > am directly connecting through my modem via LAN port Internet from
    > WIN2k.

    And what are the settings in win2k? post then here so we can understand what
    do you have in there.
    give us the ip adress in win2k, the netmask and the gateway that is been
    used.

    > & My ISP not given me any IP address just a user name &
    > password.

    wrong, i have an IP, we all got to have an ip... proabably that ip stays on
    the modem.
    when you are behing a gateway it is not easy to see your ip, for that goto
    to www.whatismyip.com to see you internet ip.

    didn't you found an adress to access you modem configuration?

    > They also give me pppoe Suit to install & configure on Win2k for
    > connecting internet.

    only needed when you connect your modem to a usb port on the pc.

    > same thing I am now trying to do with CentOS.

    no, you are connecting to a lan cable with a ethernet card, ethernet cards
    don't use ppp protocols. you would only need pppoe configs if you wore
    connecting your modem trought usb.

    you are going the wrong way, unistall everything of pppoe you have installed
    and start from the beguining... forget ppp protocols, forget what you have
    installed in win2k cause you have made a mess in there installing lots of
    ****s you don't need...
    just configure your ethernet card and nothing more.

  7. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    > > it's my single PC with Windows 2K & CentOS Installed. from this PC I
    > > am directly connecting through my modem via LAN port Internet from
    > > WIN2k.

    > And what are the settings in win2k? post then here so we can understand what
    > do you have in there.
    > give us the ip adress in win2k, the netmask and the gateway that is been
    > used.

    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************

    These are the only steps need to do when I configure Internet from
    Win 2K. No IP adress needs to assign. This I had done more then 100
    times from my pc on last 2 years.
    1. Install Internet (Modem) & Lan (Lan Card etc...) Hardware.

    2. Go to -> My NetWork Places -> Properties -> Local Area Connection -
    > Properties->

    Click on Install Button -> Add Protocol ...........
    [from browse disk > D:\Software\BSNL\RASPPPOE] that provided by ISP.

    3. Go to Start Button -> Run -> (Type) raspppoe & (Click) OK Button.

    4. Go to -> My NetWork Places -> Properties -> screen open
    (Double Click on) Connection through Intel(R) PRO_100 VE Network
    Connection
    -> User Name & Password.

    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************

    > > & My ISP not given me any IP address just a user name &
    > > password.

    > wrong, i have an IP, we all got to have an ip... proabably that ip stays on
    > the modem.
    > when you are behing a gateway it is not easy to see your ip, for that goto
    > towww.whatismyip.comto see you internet ip.
    >
    > didn't you found an adress to access you modem configuration?

    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************
    I AGREE WE ALL HAVE IP ADDRESS. BUT MY IP ADDRESS DYNAMICALLY CHANGE
    AFTER EVERY NEXT LOGIN, I AM A PHP DEVELOPER SO I DONT NEED TO GO ANY
    OTHER SITE. FROM PHP SCRIPT ANY TIME I CAN GOT MY PRESENT IP ADDRESS.
    FROM www.whatismyip.com I HAD CHECK ALSO SO MANY TIME WITHIN LAST
    YEAR. IT'S DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED.

    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************

    OKAY I AM TRYING AGAIN!!

  8. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 15:45, jatrojoomla escreveu:

    > I AGREE WE ALL HAVE IP ADDRESS. BUT MY IP ADDRESS DYNAMICALLY CHANGE
    > AFTER EVERY NEXT LOGIN,

    So? most of us have ips like that...

    > I AM A PHP DEVELOPER SO I DONT NEED TO GO ANY
    > OTHER SITE. FROM PHP SCRIPT ANY TIME I CAN GOT MY PRESENT IP ADDRESS.
    > FROM www.whatismyip.com I HAD CHECK ALSO SO MANY TIME WITHIN LAST
    > YEAR. IT'S DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED.

    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************

    > OKAY I AM TRYING AGAIN!!

    yeah, keep trying to put ethernet cards working with ppp protocols, you
    might get a miracle there... or just stick with your win2k that you need to
    reconfigure 100 times in 2 years, cause obviosly you're too dumb to
    configure a pc.

    regards

  9. Re: How to -- PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with CentOS 5

    any way it's very poor experience to continue discussion with you. Try
    to correct or rectify your communication style. It's very rude &
    unsocial.

+ Reply to Thread