Hi ,

I am working on Fedora core 5 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 and gcc
version 4.1.0 .

I need to setup squid which will authenticate using NTLM
(Windows NT lan manager) protocol . For starting to install squid i
started with 3 phases :-

1) Install Windows 2k3 server and make it a domain controller with AD
account with domain joining permissions .
2) Install Samba binary with sources .
3) Install Squid .

For samba , i chose to samba version 3.0.25b and squid version
2.6.STABLE14 version .

In the 1st phase , i went about setting up a win2k3 server and made it
a domain controller and created an AD user and password . I also
switched off 2 policies in win2k3 server , 1) smb signing 2) secure
channel policy . Both were not suited for my needs .

In the 2nd phase , i chose to install the samba sources . I went
through a couple of posts regarding squid + ntlm setup procedure .
Both the posts had made it compulsory to rebuilt the samba sources and
samba sources are required for squid installation .

I downloaded the samba package and copied to /opt
directory . I Compiled Samba with following options.

../configure --with-winbind --with-winbind-auth-challenge --with-
configdir=/etc/samba
make
make install

I also made a samba start-up script below -
#!/sbin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) 2001 by Sun Microsystems, Inc
# All rights reserved.
#
#ident "@(#)samba 1.1 01/09/24 SMI"
case "$1" in
start)
[ -f /etc/sfw/smb.conf ] || exit 0
/usr/sfw/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/sfw/sbin/nmbd -D
/usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd -D
;;

stop)
pkill smbd
pkill nmbd
pkill winbindd
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 { start | stop }"
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0

Then i ran the following commands :-

ln -s /etc/init.d/samba /etc/rc2.d/S99sambastart
ln -s /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so /usr/lib/nss_winbind.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so /usr/lib/nss_winbind.so.2

my /etc/samba/smb.conf file is
[global]

workgroup = supplicant
netbios name = server
server string = SambaServer
#hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/8 127.0.0.1
#guest account = pcguest
log file = /log/samba/log/log.%m
max log size = 50
log level = 3 passdb:5 auth:10 winbind:10
max log size = 1500
security = domain
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
local master = no
os level = 20
domain master = no
password server = 10.116.21.150
encrypt passwords = no
winbind use default domain = Yes
winbind uid = 10000-65000
winbind gid = 10000-65000
[homes]

comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes

[printers]

Then i added my system to domain supplicant using the following
command
net rpc join -S wipro-f2poxi2vk -USUPPLICANT/dennis
It asked :-
Enter password :
Joined domain SUPPLICANT

Then to confirm the installation of samba with AD integration -
wbinfo -a SUPPLICANT\\dennis%'ntlm@123' , and output was

plaintext password authentication succeeded
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

then ,
wbinfo -p , output was
Ping to winbindd succeeded on fd 4

But , when i did

wbinfo -g , output was
Error for looking up groups .

I also tried ,

wbinfo -u , output was
Error for looking up users .

Also in the win2k3 server on the AD user's and computers
page , my computer name is present confirming that i have finally
added myself to the domain . But it is not able to lookup for groups .
I do not know Why ?

With this problem i decided to contine with the proceeding with the
3rd phase , installation of squid .

I downloaded squid and moved to /opt directory .
For compilation

#./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-async-io --exec_prefix=/usr --
bindir=/usr/sbin --libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid --localstatedir=/var --
sysconfdir=/etc/squid --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/
man --enable-gnuregex --with-pthreads --enable-
storeio="aufs,diskd,ufs,null" -enable-poll --enable-delay-pools --
enable-carp --enable-snmp --enable-icmp --enable-basic-auth-
helpers="LDAP,NCSA,PAM" --disable-ident-lookups --disable-wccp --
enable-external-acl-helpers="ldap_group,unix_group,wbinfo_group" --
enable-auth="ntlm,basic" --enable-basic-auth-helpers="winbind" --
enable-ntlm-auth-helpers="winbind,SMB" --with-winbind-auth-challenge --
with-samba-sources="/opt/samba-3.0.10/source"

while configure , it errors out
*************
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
With pthreads
Store modules built: aufs diskd ufs null
Removal policies built: lru
ICMP enabled
Delay pools enabled
Web Cache Coordination V1 Protocol disabled
SNMP monitoring enabled
Forcing poll() to be enabled
Disabling Ident Lookups
Auth scheme modules built: ntlm basic
ERROR: Basic auth helper winbind does not exists

My winbind is perfectly running as a daemon . My winbind version
is 3.0.21b-2 .

I do not know where i have gone wrong in both the errors while
squid installation . to summarize the error is have ,
1) wbinfo -g - Error looking up groups
2) ./configure erroring out because
ERROR: Basic auth helper winbind does not exists

Could any one please help me ! I read many docs regarding Squid
+NTLM setup and FAQ's and help blogs !