X Setup for Thinkpad T43 - Setup

This is a discussion on X Setup for Thinkpad T43 - Setup ; Hi All, I'm trying to setup Red Hat v9 on a ThinkPad T43. Everything seems ok except the X Windows setup. I'm trying to configure KDE but am not getting the settings right. The screen just goes blank when I ...

  1. X Setup for Thinkpad T43

    Hi All,

    I'm trying to setup Red Hat v9 on a ThinkPad T43. Everything seems ok
    except the X Windows setup. I'm trying to configure KDE but am not
    getting the settings right. The screen just goes blank when I try to
    load X. I've tried updating the XF86Config file but I;m not getting
    it right. Has anyone successfully set this up and, if so, could you
    post the settings for Monitor, Device, etc.

    Thanks for any help,
    Steve

  2. Re: X Setup for Thinkpad T43

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:56:15 -0400, Steve Harp wrote:

    > I'm trying to setup Red Hat v9 on a ThinkPad T43. Everything seems ok
    > except the X Windows setup. I'm trying to configure KDE but am not
    > getting the settings right. The screen just goes blank when I try to
    > load X. I've tried updating the XF86Config file but I;m not getting it
    > right. Has anyone successfully set this up and, if so, could you post
    > the settings for Monitor, Device, etc.

    Is there a reason for using such a old version, circa 2003, of Redhat?
    Try a more contemporary LiveCD like Fedora 7 or Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS 2007,
    and see if they work. Your system may just be too new for Redhat 9 to
    handle correctly without lots of tweeking.

    Anyway, I've had the X configure problem numerous times on many different
    machines. It's usually caused by the X configure utility reading your
    video hardware incorrectly. The only solution I've found is to edit the
    X config file manually correcting the errors. Just running the utility
    again won't correct the errors.

    Does your system drop to a terminal when the X server fails? Can you
    post the XF86Config file?

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread