Spin up time - Setup

This is a discussion on Spin up time - Setup ; Hi all, is there a tool or something that can tell me the spin up time of a hard disk? Thanks -- SteM...

  1. Spin up time

    --
    SteM

  2. Re: Spin up time

    SteM wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > is there a tool or something that can tell me the spin up time of a hard
    > disk?
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > SteM

    Stop watch and your ears?

  3. Re: Spin up time

    Sorry ?
    --
    SteM

    "The Natural Philosopher" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > SteM wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > is there a tool or something that can tell me the spin up time of a hard
    > > disk?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > SteM
    > >

    > Stop watch and your ears?

  4. Re: Spin up time

    SteM wrote:
    > Sorry ?

    Switch on machine and start stop watch
    Wait till the head goes think and stop stopwatch.

    Look at reading on stopwatch.

    > --
    > SteM
    >
    > "The Natural Philosopher" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> SteM wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> is there a tool or something that can tell me the spin up time of a hard
    >>> disk?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> --
    >>> SteM
    >>>

    >> Stop watch and your ears?

  5. Re: Spin up time

    The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    > SteM wrote:
    >> Sorry ?

    > Switch on machine and start stop watch
    > Wait till the head goes think and stop stopwatch.
    >
    > Look at reading on stopwatch.
    >
    >> --
    >> SteM
    >>
    >> "The Natural Philosopher" ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Stop watch and your ears?

    That is a pretty good answer, actually.
    I have another approach if you have multiple SCSI disks.
    I have six, and they are set to start only when the SCSI controller starts
    them. When booting Linux it starts one at a time and you can see that
    happening on the screen. When it starts each SCSI controller, it pauses as
    it goes through the list of 16-1 devices on each SCSI controller and you can
    time them with a stopwatch. Two of my SCSI hard drives have a little relay
    or something in them so you can hear this click. The other SCSI hard drives
    are small (17+ Gigabytes) and they make no sound at all.

    It may be that the manufacturer of your hard drive(s) publishes this
    information and if so, you could just look it up. It is not very long (5
    seconds or so IIRC).

    ^^-^^ 07:45:01 up 4 days, 29 min, 2 users, load average: 4.49, 4.35, 4.15

+ Reply to Thread