How can I stop the cursor blinking? - Setup

This is a discussion on How can I stop the cursor blinking? - Setup ; Hi, I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard ...

  1. How can I stop the cursor blinking?

    Hi,

    I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to
    switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP
    I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard and there it is, it's called
    Cursor Blink Rate.

    But on Linux I've been to the KDE Control Centre / Peripherals /
    Keyboard .. and there are some options but nothing that affects the
    cursor's blink speed.

    Surely this can't be right?

    Apparently there is a way similar to in Gnome to XP but I can't find
    anything on KDE.

    Please help. I'll be very grateful to you forever!!!

    TIA
    Pablo.

  2. Re: How can I stop the cursor blinking?

    Pablo Contreras wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to
    > switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP
    > I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard and there it is, it's called
    > Cursor Blink Rate.
    >
    > But on Linux I've been to the KDE Control Centre / Peripherals /
    > Keyboard .. and there are some options but nothing that affects the
    > cursor's blink speed.
    >
    > Surely this can't be right?
    >
    > Apparently there is a way similar to in Gnome to XP but I can't find
    > anything on KDE.
    >
    > Please help. I'll be very grateful to you forever!!!

    Have you tried right clicking on the console?

    --
    Dawid Michalczyk - Cool 3D wallpapers:
    http://www.art.eonworks.com/free/wal...wallpaper.html

  3. Re: How can I stop the cursor blinking?

    In article <2irca391slh7unint87shgg20p3l119p52@4ax.com>,
    Pablo Contreras wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to
    > switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP
    > I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard and there it is, it's called
    > Cursor Blink Rate.
    >
    > But on Linux I've been to the KDE Control Centre / Peripherals /
    > Keyboard .. and there are some options but nothing that affects the
    > cursor's blink speed.
    >
    > Surely this can't be right?
    >
    > Apparently there is a way similar to in Gnome to XP but I can't find
    > anything on KDE.
    >
    > Please help. I'll be very grateful to you forever!!!
    >
    > TIA
    > Pablo.

    If you're referring to the cursor in konsole, simple pull down the "Settings"
    menu, select "Configure Console" and uncheck "Blinking Cursor".

    W.

  4. Re: How can I stop the cursor blinking?

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:19:13 +0200, Dawid Michalczyk
    wrote:

    >Pablo Contreras wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to
    >> switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP
    >> I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard and there it is, it's called
    >> Cursor Blink Rate.
    >>
    >> But on Linux I've been to the KDE Control Centre / Peripherals /
    >> Keyboard .. and there are some options but nothing that affects the
    >> cursor's blink speed.
    >>
    >> Surely this can't be right?
    >>
    >> Apparently there is a way similar to in Gnome to XP but I can't find
    >> anything on KDE.
    >>
    >> Please help. I'll be very grateful to you forever!!!

    >Have you tried right clicking on the console?

    Yes, I see what you mean, certainly there is an option in Configure
    Konsole available on the right-click menu which allows you to switch
    off the cursor blinking. It is called "Blinking Cursor" and appears
    under the "General" tab of the dialog.

    Thing is, I mean the what in Windows is referred to as the System
    Caret. This is the cursor that comes up when for example you type-in
    a URL into your favourite browser, or directly type in a file name
    into an Open dialog box of your text editor, or even the straight-bar
    thing that lets you type text into your OpenOffice.org word processor.

    In Windows this is treated like a System Resource and as such is
    controlled by the System. When you write a Windows app you have to
    "request" the system cursor be present in your application if you
    want it, so as to prevent any other Windows application from using it
    at the same time. Being new to Linux I don't know how the same thing
    is treated the same way so that why I was posting here in the hope
    that one of you guys could help me out.

    Thanks a lot!! ;-)
    Pablo.

  5. Re: How can I stop the cursor blinking?

    On 25 Jul 2007 19:15:35 GMT, watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:

    >In article <2irca391slh7unint87shgg20p3l119p52@4ax.com>,
    > Pablo Contreras wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to
    >> switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP
    >> I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard and there it is, it's called
    >> Cursor Blink Rate.
    >>
    >> But on Linux I've been to the KDE Control Centre / Peripherals /
    >> Keyboard .. and there are some options but nothing that affects the
    >> cursor's blink speed.
    >>
    >> Surely this can't be right?
    >>
    >> Apparently there is a way similar to in Gnome to XP but I can't find
    >> anything on KDE.
    >>
    >> Please help. I'll be very grateful to you forever!!!
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Pablo.
    >>

    >If you're referring to the cursor in konsole, simple pull down the "Settings"
    >menu, select "Configure Console" and uncheck "Blinking Cursor".
    >
    >W.

    No I was referring to the general cursor used in by system.

    Pablo.

  6. Re: How can I stop the cursor blinking?

    pablo contreras wrote:
    > On 25 Jul 2007 19:15:35 GMT, watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:
    >
    >> In article <2irca391slh7unint87shgg20p3l119p52@4ax.com>,
    >> Pablo Contreras wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am using KDE 3.4.0 on SuSE Linux 9.3 and I'm trying to find a way to
    >>> switch off the cursor blinking which is driving me crazy. On Win XP
    >>> I can just go to Control Panel / Keyboard and there it is, it's called
    >>> Cursor Blink Rate.
    >>>
    >>> But on Linux I've been to the KDE Control Centre / Peripherals /
    >>> Keyboard .. and there are some options but nothing that affects the
    >>> cursor's blink speed.
    >>>
    >>> Surely this can't be right?
    >>>
    >>> Apparently there is a way similar to in Gnome to XP but I can't find
    >>> anything on KDE.
    >>>
    >>> Please help. I'll be very grateful to you forever!!!
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Pablo.
    >>>

    >> If you're referring to the cursor in konsole, simple pull down the "Settings"
    >> menu, select "Configure Console" and uncheck "Blinking Cursor".
    >>
    >> W.

    > No I was referring to the general cursor used in by system.
    >
    > Pablo.

    Dunno. Uzed to be i curses..lord knows where it is these days.

+ Reply to Thread