Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu Version 7.04 - Setup

This is a discussion on Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu Version 7.04 - Setup ; I've just gotten two CDs with Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu Version 7.04. I tried running Linux XP off the CD to see what it was like. Questions: --------------- (1) If I install Linux XP, rather than running from ...

  1. Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu Version 7.04

    I've just gotten two CDs with Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu
    Version 7.04.

    I tried running Linux XP off the CD to see what it was like.

    Questions:
    ---------------

    (1) If I install Linux XP, rather than running from the CD, will
    it overwrite what's already on my Windows ME system?? ( I have a
    backup of everything that I'm interested in keeping: documents,
    programs, Microsoft Outlook Express mailboxes.)

    (2) Is there a way to copy or move my files from Windows ME while
    logged into Linux-XP?? Is there a way to see the files so that I can
    move them??

    (3) I have a copy of my Microsoft Outlook Express mailboxes. Are
    they convertible to whatever the new mail system is??

    (4) Do I want to retain my Windows ME OS and add Freespire Linux-
    XP as a dual-boot or should I wipe the harddrive and start from
    scratch with only one operating system??

    (5) Is there a good set of directions for getting started on Linux-
    XP when you're never laid eyes on it before?? I do have a brain; I
    worked on computer helpdesks for over 13 years as a senior-level
    analyst.

    Thanks.

    Barb

  2. Re: Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu Version 7.04

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:43:04 -0700, The Moose wrote:
    > I've just gotten two CDs with Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu
    > Version 7.04.
    >
    > I tried running Linux XP off the CD to see what it was like.

    Never will use or tried, Firespire.

    > Questions:
    > ---------------
    >
    > (1) If I install Linux XP, rather than running from the CD, will
    > it overwrite what's already on my Windows ME system?? ( I have a
    > backup of everything that I'm interested in keeping: documents,
    > programs, Microsoft Outlook Express mailboxes.)

    My recommendation. download/burn/boot gparted cd from
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

    defrag and scan disk your windows partition to free up at least 10 gig
    for a linux install. It is possible to have a
    multiboot system, window, frespire, ubuntu,,,,,,

    Boot gparted cd, select a disk drive, shrink the windows partition to
    create your 10 gig of free space for each linux install.

    Click Apply. Click free/unformatted space, set it
    Extented, click apply, click free space in unfomatted space, select
    partition type swap and make it around 512 meg bytes or size of your
    ram whichever is greater. Click apply.

    Now exit gparted cd, insert ubuntu cd, click install and during the
    partition phase, indicate you want custom/manual. Click the free
    unformatted partition and set type as ext3 and / as mount point,
    then click apply.

    That way if it gets screwd up, you clicked/enterned the wrong commands.

    > (2) Is there a way to copy or move my files from Windows ME while
    > logged into Linux-XP?? Is there a way to see the files so that I can
    > move them??

    You should be able to copy from windows to linux. You use the ls
    command to list files on any mounted partition and mv command for
    moving files around.

    > (4) Do I want to retain my Windows ME OS and add Freespire Linux-
    > XP as a dual-boot or should I wipe the harddrive and start from
    > scratch with only one operating system??

    I have never had to wipe/install to make a dual boot system.

    > (5) Is there a good set of directions for getting started on Linux-
    > XP when you're never laid eyes on it before?? I do have a brain;

    Basic problem will be the different apps.
    http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
    http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...ndows_software

    > I worked on computer helpdesks for over 13 years as a senior-level
    > analyst.

    Sorry to hear that. It going to make it harder to drop old habits. :-D
    Just think of linux as going from win 3.1 to XP.

    You will find the Gnome desktop manager a little harder to use than
    windows.

    If you install kubuntu or KDE desktop manager, you would soon find
    yourself at home on linux faster.

    For some basic Linux 101,
    http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandrak...and-Line.html/

  3. Re: Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu Version 7.04

    On Jul 23, 6:18 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:43:04 -0700, The Moose wrote:
    > > I've just gotten two CDs with Linux XP Freespire Edition and Ubuntu
    > > Version 7.04.

    > > I tried running Linux XP off the CD to see what it was like.

    > Never will use or tried, Firespire.
    >
    > > Questions:
    > > ---------------

    > > (1) If I install Linux XP, rather than running from the CD, will
    > > it overwrite what's already on my Windows ME system?? ( I have a
    > > backup of everything that I'm interested in keeping: documents,
    > > programs, Microsoft Outlook Express mailboxes.)

    > My recommendation. download/burn/boot gparted cd fromhttp://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_...
    >
    > defrag and scan disk your windows partition to free up at least 10 gig
    > for a linux install. It is possible to have a
    > multiboot system, window, frespire, ubuntu,,,,,,
    >
    > Boot gparted cd, select a disk drive, shrink the windows partition to
    > create your 10 gig of free space for each linux install.
    >
    > Click Apply. Click free/unformatted space, set it
    > Extented, click apply, click free space in unfomatted space, select
    > partition type swap and make it around 512 meg bytes or size of your
    > ram whichever is greater. Click apply.
    >
    > Now exit gparted cd, insert ubuntu cd, click install and during the
    > partition phase, indicate you want custom/manual. Click the free
    > unformatted partition and set type as ext3 and / as mount point,
    > then click apply.
    >
    > That way if it gets screwd up, you clicked/enterned the wrong commands.
    >
    > > (2) Is there a way to copy or move my files from Windows ME while
    > > logged into Linux-XP?? Is there a way to see the files so that I can
    > > move them??

    > You should be able to copy from windows to linux. You use the ls
    > command to list files on any mounted partition and mv command for
    > moving files around.
    >
    > > (4) Do I want to retain my Windows ME OS and add Freespire Linux-
    > > XP as a dual-boot or should I wipe the harddrive and start from
    > > scratch with only one operating system??

    > I have never had to wipe/install to make a dual boot system.
    >
    > > (5) Is there a good set of directions for getting started on Linux-
    > > XP when you're never laid eyes on it before?? I do have a brain;

    > Basic problem will be the different apps.http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/...valent_to_Wind...
    >
    > > I worked on computer helpdesks for over 13 years as a senior-level
    > > analyst.

    > Sorry to hear that. It going to make it harder to drop old habits. :-D
    > Just think of linux as going from win 3.1 to XP.
    >
    > You will find the Gnome desktop manager a little harder to use than
    > windows.
    >
    > If you install kubuntu or KDE desktop manager, you would soon find
    > yourself at home on linux faster.
    >
    > For some basic Linux 101,http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/Mandrak...and-Line.html/

    Thanks, BT.

    My printer just ran out ink and I don't have a CD writer so I'm off to
    hunt up some resources.

    Just think of linux as going from win 3.1 to XP.
    Trying to scare me off, huh!??

    Thanks.

    Barb

+ Reply to Thread