Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition of External Drive - Setup

This is a discussion on Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition of External Drive - Setup ; Hello all, I have some experience running IRIX from my chemistry research and I would really like to install Linux on my laptop. Right now it is already running Windows XP and I would like to keep it there. (Some ...

  1. Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition of External Drive

    Hello all,

    I have some experience running IRIX from my chemistry research and I
    would really like to install Linux on my laptop. Right now it is
    already running Windows XP and I would like to keep it there. (Some
    of the software that I'm running requires Windows.) My hard drive
    is kind of small, but I have an external hard drive with plenty of
    space. My partitions on the second hard drive are set up such that
    the second primary partition is unused. This is where I would like to
    install Linux.

    I don't know too much about the different versions, but I was able to
    get a copy of Solaris 10 and I attempted installing it and really got
    no where. During the setup it eventually decided that it needed to
    restart, still only on disk 1 out of 5. I thought OK, that's fine.
    It then started up as if I still needed to do that first part of the
    install. So, I took the disc out and restarted again. It started to
    reboot, and I changed in my BIOS to start from the USB. It would try
    to start from the USB and then show a black screen and reboot and this
    would have continued forever had I not changed it back to starting
    from the regular disk. I downloaded GRUB, but I could only get it to
    recognize the hard drive with Windows.

    So, having done all of that, I really have nothing to show, except I
    can no longer access that partition from Windows (if I reformatted it,
    I probably could). How can I get this to work? Is there an easier
    Linux version to install and setup? Fedora? SUSE?

  2. Re: Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition of External Drive

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, pauljohns@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have some experience running IRIX from my chemistry research and I
    > would really like to install Linux on my laptop.

    [...]

    > I don't know too much about the different versions, but I was able to
    > get a copy of Solaris 10 and I attempted installing it and really got
    > no where.

    Solaris isn't Linux. It may be a good choice for you, but it isn't Linux.

    > Is there an easier Linux version to install and setup? Fedora? SUSE?

    Have a look at
    http://distrowatch.com/
    and in particular at
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  3. Re: Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition of External Drive

    On 2007-07-21, pauljohns@gmail.com wrote:

    > I don't know too much about the different versions, but I was able to
    > get a copy of Solaris 10 and I attempted installing it and really got
    > no where.

    Solaris isn't Linux.

    > So, having done all of that, I really have nothing to show, except I
    > can no longer access that partition from Windows (if I reformatted it,
    > I probably could). How can I get this to work? Is there an easier
    > Linux version to install and setup? Fedora? SUSE?

    Fedora is by design a bit of a beta distribution. If you want something
    RedHat-like, you might try CentOS. SuSE might also work.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: Installing Linux on a Computer Running XP on 2nd Partition ofExternal Drive

    pauljohns@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have some experience running IRIX from my chemistry research and I
    > would really like to install Linux on my laptop. Right now it is
    > already running Windows XP and I would like to keep it there. (Some
    > of the software that I'm running requires Windows.) My hard drive
    > is kind of small, but I have an external hard drive with plenty of
    > space. My partitions on the second hard drive are set up such that
    > the second primary partition is unused. This is where I would like to
    > install Linux.
    >
    > I don't know too much about the different versions, but I was able to
    > get a copy of Solaris 10 and I attempted installing it and really got
    > no where. During the setup it eventually decided that it needed to
    > restart, still only on disk 1 out of 5. I thought OK, that's fine.
    > It then started up as if I still needed to do that first part of the
    > install. So, I took the disc out and restarted again. It started to
    > reboot, and I changed in my BIOS to start from the USB. It would try
    > to start from the USB and then show a black screen and reboot and this
    > would have continued forever had I not changed it back to starting
    > from the regular disk. I downloaded GRUB, but I could only get it to
    > recognize the hard drive with Windows.
    >
    > So, having done all of that, I really have nothing to show, except I
    > can no longer access that partition from Windows (if I reformatted it,
    > I probably could). How can I get this to work? Is there an easier
    > Linux version to install and setup? Fedora? SUSE?

    Maybe you want to try topological linux. Its a distro which runs
    completely in your XP-Partition. How to install you can find here:

    http://sourceforge.net/project/shown...ease_id=323422

    HTH Martin

+ Reply to Thread