When I configure a 2.6.19-rc5 linux kernel for "built-in" raid
support, I do not get the expected /proc/mdstat entry. I set the
following kernel parameters for this :

CONFIG_MD=Y
BLK_DEV_MD=y
MD_RAID0=y

When I configure the kernel for modular raid support in otherwise
identical fashion, I do get the expected /proc/mdstat "file". I have
no difficulty configuring "built-in" support under kernel 2.6.13 on
another 32 bit X86 based system with IDE drives. The system I am
trying to set up raid support for is X86_64 based, and has only SATA
drives. I have not configured IDE support for it. Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.