Help needed with gnu version of updatedb - Setup

This is a discussion on Help needed with gnu version of updatedb - Setup ; I am trying to use the gnu update program with the following command: updatedb --localpaths='/home/backups_01' --output=$HOME/.locate/ locate.db Nothing happens at all. Have I got the options write. This not the slocate version at slocate.trakker.ca. - voipfc...

  1. Help needed with gnu version of updatedb

    I am trying to use the gnu update program with the following command:

    updatedb --localpaths='/home/backups_01' --output=$HOME/.locate/
    locate.db

    Nothing happens at all. Have I got the options write.

    This not the slocate version at slocate.trakker.ca.

    - voipfc

  2. Re: Help needed with gnu version of updatedb

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.setup, in article
    <1184808404.923331.8540@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, voipfc wrote:

    >I am trying to use the gnu update program with the following command:
    >
    >updatedb --localpaths='/home/backups_01' --output=$HOME/.locate/
    >locate.db

    Assuming that is actually one line with the last option reading
    '--output=$HOME/.locate/locate.db' and whatever $HOME expands to
    in the environment you are running does contain the .locate
    directory - OK

    >Nothing happens at all.

    How are you running the command? Is this from a command-line - if so,
    by who, and exactly what happens - does the prompt return immediately
    with no message anywhere? Is this a cron job? If so, is $HOME
    defined in the cron environment (run a cron job that runs the command
    'set > /tmp/cron.environment' to see what that is)? Is there any log
    output (perhaps /var/log/cron)?

    >Have I got the options write.

    Assuming the caveats noted above - it looks OK.

    >This not the slocate version at slocate.trakker.ca.

    So, exactly which is it? Does 'updatedb --version' tell? (There are
    several versions - some of which have been "improved" which could cause
    problems. The only GNU version I have immediate access to is version 4.1
    from a long time ago, and that is a fairly simple Bourne shell script.)

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread