Starting from scratch - Setup

This is a discussion on Starting from scratch - Setup ; Hi Group, I have a Compaq Presario with an 80Gig HD. I used QTParted to create 2 partitions of approximatly equal size and now I am trying to install Gentoo from a live install CD. Based on the install program, ...

  1. Starting from scratch

    Hi Group,

    I have a Compaq Presario with an 80Gig HD. I used QTParted to create
    2 partitions of approximatly equal size and now I am trying to install
    Gentoo from a live install CD. Based on the install program, I
    *think* Gentoo is being installed in the first partition on /dev/hda
    but I'm not sure. Will it create its own swap space in this partition
    or will it overtake the second partition and use it? I want to use
    the second partition for a different Linux distro like Ubuntu or
    Mandriva. Please note: I am only posting via Google Groups because
    I have no other means. I would normally be using Pan so this post may
    not look like it's coming from a Linux machine, although I assure you
    that it is.. I am installing the OS now but am using the Live CD to
    access the internet.

  2. Re: Starting from scratch

    In comp.os.linux.setup printdude1968@gmail.com :
    > Hi Group,

    > I have a Compaq Presario with an 80Gig HD. I used QTParted to create
    > 2 partitions of approximatly equal size and now I am trying to install
    > Gentoo from a live install CD. Based on the install program, I
    > *think* Gentoo is being installed in the first partition on /dev/hda
    > but I'm not sure. Will it create its own swap space in this partition
    > or will it overtake the second partition and use it? I want to use
    > the second partition for a different Linux distro like Ubuntu or
    > Mandriva. Please note: I am only posting via Google Groups because
    > I have no other means. I would normally be using Pan so this post may
    > not look like it's coming from a Linux machine, although I assure you
    > that it is.. I am installing the OS now but am using the Live CD to
    > access the internet.

    Firstly there is zero requirement to use Linux accessing this
    group, anyone is welcome. Of course it might look strange if you
    point out being a Linux pro behind comparison while using Outcrap
    to bring over the message...

    Concerning your problem, you could just start with an empty
    partition table, leave it to the installer to create partitions
    and leave enough free space for the second installation.

    Yes a separate partition for swap is the way to go.

    Good luck

    Germany is proud to be the first country in the world to
    tax private computers that are deemed to be "Internet-capable".

  3. Re: Starting from scratch

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup printdude1968@gmail.com :
    >> Hi Group,

    >> I have a Compaq Presario with an 80Gig HD. I used QTParted to create
    >> 2 partitions of approximatly equal size and now I am trying to install
    >> Gentoo from a live install CD. Based on the install program, I
    >> *think* Gentoo is being installed in the first partition on /dev/hda
    >> but I'm not sure. Will it create its own swap space in this partition
    >> or will it overtake the second partition and use it? I want to use
    >> the second partition for a different Linux distro like Ubuntu or
    >> Mandriva. Please note: I am only posting via Google Groups because
    >> I have no other means. I would normally be using Pan so this post may
    >> not look like it's coming from a Linux machine, although I assure you
    >> that it is.. I am installing the OS now but am using the Live CD to
    >> access the internet.

    > Firstly there is zero requirement to use Linux accessing this
    > group, anyone is welcome. Of course it might look strange if you
    > point out being a Linux pro behind comparison while using Outcrap
    > to bring over the message...
    >
    > Concerning your problem, you could just start with an empty
    > partition table, leave it to the installer to create partitions
    > and leave enough free space for the second installation.
    >
    > Yes a separate partition for swap is the way to go.
    >
    > Good luck

    Thank you for your kind words. FYI - the printdude1968@gmail.com is
    simply what I use when I don't have access to either my desktop or
    laptop, which is what I am on now... Ubuntu Studio. Some would call it
    a sockpuppet, but I could care less.

    Here is what my configuration is meant to look like once all the
    partitions are complete

    /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 swap
    31.87 Gig 30.92 Gig 11.74 Gig

    What I want to do is
    a) Install Ubuntu Feisty on /dev/hda1
    b) Install Mandriva on /dev/hda2
    c) Have both use the same swap space

    As I am not sure how to do this, I will simply start with Ubuntu and see
    what it does. If there is the option to choose the swap space, then
    that is what I will do.

  4. Re: Starting from scratch

    Mr. N. Marsall wrote:

    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup printdude1968@gmail.com :
    >>> Hi Group,

    >>> I have a Compaq Presario with an 80Gig HD. I used QTParted to create
    >>> 2 partitions of approximatly equal size and now I am trying to install
    >>> Gentoo from a live install CD. Based on the install program, I
    >>> *think* Gentoo is being installed in the first partition on /dev/hda
    >>> but I'm not sure. Will it create its own swap space in this partition
    >>> or will it overtake the second partition and use it? I want to use
    >>> the second partition for a different Linux distro like Ubuntu or
    >>> Mandriva. Please note: I am only posting via Google Groups because
    >>> I have no other means. I would normally be using Pan so this post may
    >>> not look like it's coming from a Linux machine, although I assure you
    >>> that it is.. I am installing the OS now but am using the Live CD to
    >>> access the internet.

    >> Firstly there is zero requirement to use Linux accessing this
    >> group, anyone is welcome. Of course it might look strange if you
    >> point out being a Linux pro behind comparison while using Outcrap
    >> to bring over the message...
    >>
    >> Concerning your problem, you could just start with an empty
    >> partition table, leave it to the installer to create partitions
    >> and leave enough free space for the second installation.
    >>
    >> Yes a separate partition for swap is the way to go.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    > Thank you for your kind words. FYI - the printdude1968@gmail.com is
    > simply what I use when I don't have access to either my desktop or
    > laptop, which is what I am on now... Ubuntu Studio. Some would call it
    > a sockpuppet, but I could care less.
    >
    > Here is what my configuration is meant to look like once all the
    > partitions are complete
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 swap
    > 31.87 Gig 30.92 Gig 11.74 Gig
    >

    > What I want to do is
    > a) Install Ubuntu Feisty on /dev/hda1
    > b) Install Mandriva on /dev/hda2
    > c) Have both use the same swap space
    >
    > As I am not sure how to do this, I will simply start with Ubuntu and see
    > what it does. If there is the option to choose the swap space, then
    > that is what I will do.

    Both Ubuntu and Mandriva have a partitioner which will allow you to select
    the partitionm to use. Mandriva will allow you to install a default
    partition arrangement on /dev/hda2. I am not sure about Ubuntu. I think
    that you may have to partition it manually.

    You will find a gap in the sequence of partitions. At the moment, you will
    have two primary partitions, but the number is limited Any partitions
    created as logical drives in the extended partition start at No. 5, and any
    unused numbers are skipped. That may mean that /dev/hda2 will need to be
    renumbered, so set up /dev/hda1 first.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Perhaps the most important thing we give each other is our attention.
    -- Dr R. N. Remen.

  5. Re: Starting from scratch

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marsall wrote:

    > /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 swap
    > 31.87 Gig 30.92 Gig 11.74 Gig

    That's way too much swap space.

    An old rule of thumb was that the swap size should be the double of the
    RAM. That's probably too much these days, but I certainly wouldn't exceed
    the size it suggests.

    On the other hand, too much swap doesn't hurt; it's just a waste of disk
    space.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

+ Reply to Thread