And away we go - Setup

This is a discussion on And away we go - Setup ; took off from work early so I could give this a try. My primary partition has been shrunk and a new partition created. So far so good. It's done the resizing and now is "Scanning all devices". I hope this ...

  1. And away we go

    took off from work early so I could give this a try.
    My primary partition has been shrunk and a new partition created. So
    far so good. It's done the resizing and now is "Scanning all devices".
    I hope this works, otherwise, I'll have to start from scratch.

  2. Re: And away we go

    Mr. N. Marsall wrote:
    > took off from work early so I could give this a try.
    > My primary partition has been shrunk and a new partition created. So
    > far so good. It's done the resizing and now is "Scanning all devices".
    > I hope this works, otherwise, I'll have to start from scratch.

    Ok, well Gentoo didn't go well so I went back and did Mandriva
    instead... not too shabby. I'm doing the initial updates now via the
    "Software Management" system... one question...

    Now that I have Ubuntu and Mandriva, how do I tell which one to boot
    into? I've got grub going on, but I have no idea what to do with it.

  3. Re: And away we go

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:06:31 -0300, Mr. N. Marsall wrote:

    > Mr. N. Marsall wrote:
    >> took off from work early so I could give this a try.
    >> My primary partition has been shrunk and a new partition created. So
    >> far so good. It's done the resizing and now is "Scanning all devices".
    >> I hope this works, otherwise, I'll have to start from scratch.

    > Ok, well Gentoo didn't go well so I went back and did Mandriva
    > instead... not too shabby. I'm doing the initial updates now via the
    > "Software Management" system... one question...
    >
    > Now that I have Ubuntu and Mandriva, how do I tell which one to boot
    > into? I've got grub going on, but I have no idea what to do with it.

    Open konqueror... in the navigation box type;

    info:grub

    If you have any questions, after reading, come back here.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  4. Re: And away we go

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:57:34 -0500, imotgm decided to tell us about:

    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:06:31 -0300, Mr. N. Marsall wrote:
    >
    >> Mr. N. Marsall wrote:
    >>> took off from work early so I could give this a try.
    >>> My primary partition has been shrunk and a new partition created. So
    >>> far so good. It's done the resizing and now is "Scanning all devices".
    >>> I hope this works, otherwise, I'll have to start from scratch.

    >> Ok, well Gentoo didn't go well so I went back and did Mandriva
    >> instead... not too shabby. I'm doing the initial updates now via the
    >> "Software Management" system... one question...
    >>
    >> Now that I have Ubuntu and Mandriva, how do I tell which one to boot
    >> into? I've got grub going on, but I have no idea what to do with it.

    > Open konqueror... in the navigation box type;
    >
    > info:grub
    >
    > If you have any questions, after reading, come back here.

    I did a google search and found out how to edit my grub loader. But
    that's not the hugest (??) problem(s)

    I've lost access to my external hard drive. It shows up on fdisk -l as
    /dev/sda

    [root@localhost Desktop]# fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 4639 37262736 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 9251 9729 3847567+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda3 4640 7035 19245870 83 Linux
    /dev/hda4 * 7036 9250 17791987+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda6 9251 9352 819252 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    Partition table entries are not in disk order

    Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

    but I can't seem to see it in my "Place" window. It's not there on Ubuntu
    either (I had to reinstall Feisty cuz my X configs got messed up somehow).

    The other prolem is that I now have 2 swap spaces. The first is too big
    and the second is way too small. I tried to install Oracle-XE on the
    Ubuntu portion, but it complained about the size of my swap space. So I'd
    like to know if it's possible to take from one and add to the other.
    GParted seems to be a decent tool, although I think it caused more
    problems than it solved.

    --
    /home/john/tmp/ngSig.txt

  5. Re: And away we go

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marsall wrote:

    > Now that I have Ubuntu and Mandriva, how do I tell which one to boot
    > into? I've got grub going on, but I have no idea what to do with it.

    Probably Mandriva took care of that automatically. Just reboot and see if
    you get a choice between the two.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  6. Re: And away we go

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:

    > So I'd like to know if it's possible to take from one and add to the
    > other. GParted seems to be a decent tool, although I think it caused
    > more problems than it solved.

    It doesn't really matter that your swap space is divided in two, but if
    you want, delete both partitions, then create a single swap partition,
    and use mkswap to set it up.

    Remember to modify /etc/fstab in consequence.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  7. Re: And away we go

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:24:46 +0000, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:

    > I did a google search and found out how to edit my grub loader. But
    > that's not the hugest (??) problem(s)
    >
    > I've lost access to my external hard drive. It shows up on fdisk -l as
    > /dev/sda
    >
    > [root@localhost Desktop]# fdisk -l
    >
    > Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/hda1 1 4639 37262736 83 Linux
    > /dev/hda2 9251 9729 3847567+ 5 Extended
    > /dev/hda3 4640 7035 19245870 83 Linux
    > /dev/hda4 * 7036 9250 17791987+ 83 Linux
    > /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    > /dev/hda6 9251 9352 819252 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    >
    > Partition table entries are not in disk order

    Your first problem is here. You need to get your partition order
    straightened out. Get a live CD. (PCLinuxOS is a good one) Boot the live
    CD, and log in as root. Open a konsole window and enter;

    [root@fatman ~]# fdisk /dev/hda

    The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 14593.
    There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
    and could in certain setups cause problems with:
    1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
    2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

    Command (m for help): m Command action
    a toggle a bootable flag
    b edit bsd disklabel
    c toggle the dos compatibility flag
    d delete a partition
    l list known partition types
    m print this menu
    n add a new partition
    o create a new empty DOS partition table
    p print the partition table
    q quit without saving changes
    s create a new empty Sun disklabel
    t change a partition's system id
    u change display/entry units
    v verify the partition table
    w write table to disk and exit
    x extra functionality (experts only)

    Command (m for help): x

    Expert command (m for help): m
    Command action
    b move beginning of data in a partition
    c change number of cylinders
    d print the raw data in the partition table
    e list extended partitions
    f fix partition order
    g create an IRIX (SGI) partition table
    h change number of heads
    m print this menu
    p print the partition table
    q quit without saving changes
    r return to main menu
    s change number of sectors/track
    v verify the partition table
    w write table to disk and exit

    Expert command (m for help): f

    Here you'll get a message about how fdisk will fix your partition table. I
    can't show that, because mine is already correct, as shown.

    Nothing to do. Ordering is correct already.

    Expert command (m for help): r

    Command (m for help): w

    [root@fatman ~]#

    At this point you will need to mount your Mandriva / partition from it's
    new, and proper designation, and edit /etc/fstab so that the proper
    /dev/hda(n) is associated with / and /home and swap. You then need to
    re-edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the Mandriva entry reflect the
    corrected partition numbers, so that grub can find the Mandriva kernel and
    initrd, as well as the proper root=/dev/hda(n) for the kernel to find /.

    When you've done that, come back, and we can address the problem with the
    USB disk. Don't worry about the swap partitions for now.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

  8. Re: And away we go

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, imotgm wrote:

    > > Partition table entries are not in disk order

    > Your first problem is here. You need to get your partition order
    > straightened out.

    No, this doesn't matter at all. See

    Yves Bellefeuille

  9. Re: And away we go

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:44:57 -0400, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, imotgm wrote:
    >
    >> > Partition table entries are not in disk order

    >> Your first problem is here. You need to get your partition order
    >> straightened out.

    > No, this doesn't matter at all. See

    The people discussing this at that site are mostly clueless. None seems to
    even know what the message means. That you would cite this, after
    instructing the OP to create a partition on nonexistent space, puts your
    own level of "clue" in serious doubt.

    Partitions out of order for someone who obviously does not know what he's
    doing will lead to disaster somewhere down the road. Best get them fixed
    now before there is important data on the machine, and the wrong partition
    gets formatted or deleted, at some future date. When he tries to add a new
    partition, or tries to merge two, that are numerically side by side, but
    in fact are at opposite ends of the disk... sounds like a sure-fire recipe
    for disaster to me. There are reasons for putting things in order. If
    there were not there would be no reason to generate a warning that such is
    not the case.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

+ Reply to Thread