Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)? - Setup

This is a discussion on Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)? - Setup ; Hi, I am new to Linux. I have some webpages with shockwave multimedia clip. But Firefox 2.0 not support it and prompt me to use Netscape 6 or higher. So I download Netscape 9 (the most update version) and follow ...

  1. Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    Hi,

    I am new to Linux. I have some webpages with shockwave multimedia
    clip. But Firefox 2.0 not support it and prompt me to use Netscape 6
    or higher.

    So I download Netscape 9 (the most update version) and follow the step
    to run Netscape ( ./navigator ) in termnial.

    No error shown, meanwhile noting pop-up, Netscape browser not pop-up
    too.

    Anyone could run Netscape successfully? Could you teach me?

  2. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    In comp.os.linux.setup michaelleungcw@yahoo.com:
    > Hi,

    > I am new to Linux. I have some webpages with shockwave multimedia
    > clip. But Firefox 2.0 not support it and prompt me to use Netscape 6
    > or higher.

    It would really help if you could provide one or another URL that
    doesn't work for you, so other can have a look.

    [..]

    #bofh excuse 45: virus attack, luser responsible

  3. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    On Jul 18, 3:53 am, Michael Heiming
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.setup michaelleun...@yahoo.com:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I am new to Linux. I have some webpages with shockwave multimedia
    > > clip. But Firefox 2.0 not support it and prompt me to use Netscape 6
    > > or higher.

    > It would really help if you could provide one or another URL that
    > doesn't work for you, so other can have a look.

    Sorry Michael. It is still under development and yet to be available
    to public.

    My netscape 9 not working(even can not open). Do anyone sucessfully
    install & run the netscape? Please give me some hints. I have
    followed all the steps stated under official Netscape website but it
    doesn't work for me.

    Thx
    > [..]
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpu...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 45: virus attack, luser responsible

  4. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    Michael writes:

    > On Jul 18, 3:53 am, Michael Heiming
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.setup michaelleun...@yahoo.com:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> > I am new to Linux. I have some webpages with shockwave multimedia
    >> > clip. But Firefox 2.0 not support it and prompt me to use Netscape 6
    >> > or higher.

    >> It would really help if you could provide one or another URL that
    >> doesn't work for you, so other can have a look.
    >>

    > Sorry Michael. It is still under development and yet to be available
    > to public.
    >
    > My netscape 9 not working(even can not open). Do anyone sucessfully
    > install & run the netscape? Please give me some hints. I have
    > followed all the steps stated under official Netscape website but it
    > doesn't work for me.
    >
    > Thx

    I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but have you installed the Flash player?

    I have no problems playing flash media clips using FF 2.x on F7.

    More information here:

    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...Platform=Linux

    HTH,

    Marc Schwartz

  5. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    > I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but have you installed the Flash player?
    >
    > I have no problems playing flash media clips using FF 2.x on F7.
    >
    > More information here:
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...od_Version=Sho...
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc Schwartz

    Since the original file is made by Director year ago. It could only
    be played by shockwave player. It is an good idea to convert it to
    Flash format but I not find any "media converter provide Director file
    > Flash File".

    BTW I find an old version of Netscape 7 and successfully install it
    onto my FC 7 now. Unfortunately Adobe seem not support linux to run
    Shockwave format file. Shame on them.

    Michael

  6. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    hmm why dont you just download the windows schockwave player from
    somewhere and run it on Fedora using wine
    Then play your shockwave files using the schockwave player.
    You could also possibly try to install netscape for windows on linux
    using wine ....
    .... may be that will do.

    xask.linus
    Deepak

    On Jul 20, 12:43 pm, Michael wrote:
    > > I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but have you installed the Flash player?

    > > I have no problems playing flash media clips using FF 2.x on F7.

    > > More information here:

    > >http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...od_Version=Sho...

    > > HTH,

    > > Marc Schwartz

    > Since the original file is made by Director year ago. It could only
    > be played by shockwave player. It is an good idea to convert it to
    > Flash format but I not find any "media converter provide Director file
    >
    > > Flash File".

    > BTW I find an old version of Netscape 7 and successfully install it
    > onto my FC 7 now. Unfortunately Adobe seem not support linux to run
    > Shockwave format file. Shame on them.
    >
    > Michael

  7. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    On Jul 20, 7:36 pm, xask wrote:
    > hmm why dont you just download the windows schockwave player from
    > somewhere and run it on Fedora using wine
    > Then play your shockwave files using the schockwave player.
    > You could also possibly try to install netscape for windows on linux
    > using wine ....
    > ... may be that will do.
    >
    > xask.linus
    > Deepak
    >
    > On Jul 20, 12:43 pm, Michael wrote:

    Thx Deepak,

    I have installed & firefox(Windows). Now I could run the Shockwave
    file. I further configure the Wine's Default's profile as "Windows
    98). The performance is better than in other versions(2000, XP).

    BTW I find an alternative solution from China. Saying install a java
    class module and make the Linux Firefox & Netscape running Shockwave
    file. Need little time for simple translation it, I will keep guys be
    updated.

    Thx.
    Michael

  8. Re: Anyone know how to play shockwave file in Fedora 7 (FC 7)?

    Wish my translation is accurate.

    Original (http://big5.yesky.com/b5/os.yesky.com/lin/
    407/2588907.shtml)

    Testing platform: kernel 2.2.16 REDHAT 7, KDE 2.X, Netscape, Mozilla
    and Konqueror
    Result: Pass

    Step
    1) download flash_Linux.tar.gz (suggested to use Netscape browser)
    to /usr/src
    2) Decompress flash_Linux.tar.gz

    cd /usr/src
    gunzip < flash_Linux.tar.gz | tar -xvf -

    Notes: flash_Linux.tar.gz contain 2 files (libflashplayer.so and
    ShockwaveFlash.class)

    Netscape 4.75 Linux

    1) logon as root
    2) copy the above files to /usr/lib/netscape/plugins (Netscape 4.75
    plugin folder).
    If not find the folder, search it by "find / -name plugins -print
    | grep -i netscape"

    cp /usr/src/flash_Linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/netscape/
    plugins
    cp /usr/src/flash_Linux/ShockwaveFlash.class /usr/lib/netscape/
    plugins

    3) Restart browser

+ Reply to Thread