A funny thing happened on the way to an installation - Setup

This is a discussion on A funny thing happened on the way to an installation - Setup ; My UPS died and I procrastinated on replacing it. I was doing yum -y upgrade when power dropped. It demoralized the entire OS losing track of installed software and corrupted the rpm database beyond my ability to recover it. So ...

  1. A funny thing happened on the way to an installation

    My UPS died and I procrastinated on replacing it. I was doing

    yum -y upgrade

    when power dropped. It demoralized the entire OS losing track of installed
    software and corrupted the rpm database beyond my ability to recover it. So I
    bit the bullet. I backed up all my data to a USB drive and reinstalled FC7.

    Now my experience has been installing FC4, upgrading to FC6 and then FC7. (And
    yes starting with RH 5.1 and getting to 8 but that is another story.)

    I remember FC4 going quickly, FC6 being a bit slow and FC7 taking five hours by
    the clock. I was prepared for another five hours on reinstalling FC7 and it took
    a bit under one hour.

    Duh!?

    If you are not in a hurry this makes no difference. You can sleep through five
    hours. And the copying to and from the USB drive was at least another hour for
    90Gs of files.

    [Cue Popiel theme]

    But wait! There's more!

    Everything that has a convenient measure runs faster. Most of my tasks were
    fast enough to begin with. But now yum upgrade is many times faster every step
    of the way than it was on the 4 to 6 to 7 migration version. This is worth the
    extra effort of copying and restoring and doing a new install with the next
    version instead of an upgrade.

    I do not explain it. I only report it. Your mileage will vary.

    --
    Reference to scholars is meaningless without further definition else you
    have to consider the opinions of National Merit Scholars are authoritative.

  2. Re: A funny thing happened on the way to an installation

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:07:09 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > My UPS died and I procrastinated on replacing it. I was doing
    >
    > yum -y upgrade
    >
    > when power dropped. It demoralized the entire OS losing track of installed
    > software and corrupted the rpm database beyond my ability to recover it.

    rpm --rebuilddb didn't fix it?

  3. Re: A funny thing happened on the way to an installation

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:07:09 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> My UPS died and I procrastinated on replacing it. I was doing
    >>
    >> yum -y upgrade
    >>
    >> when power dropped. It demoralized the entire OS losing track of installed
    >> software and corrupted the rpm database beyond my ability to recover it.

    > rpm --rebuilddb didn't fix it?

    No. I don't recall the exact message but it was something very dejected and
    hopeless. Sorry to anthromorphize but it couldn't get started. I found pieces of
    the database but no way to put it back together. I guess yum was in the middle
    of updating it when the power dropped. That suggests it does not follow good
    design policy of keeping the old until the new has been created. Or maybe I know
    a lot less than I think I do. I have no problem with the latter.

    --
    Drug use is a vice. Stealing to pay for drugs is a crime. The cost of drugs
    is high because the vice is considered a crime. Is there any sense in this?

+ Reply to Thread