Slackware: switching to libata - Setup

This is a discussion on Slackware: switching to libata - Setup ; Just a set of short notes on something I toyed with.. I installed Slackware 12 on a machine here, and it initially installed so that it used the "traditional" (P)ATA driver for the disks (an old laptop with just ATA ...

  1. Slackware: switching to libata

    Just a set of short notes on something I toyed with..

    I installed Slackware 12 on a machine here, and it initially installed so
    that it used the "traditional" (P)ATA driver for the disks (an old laptop
    with just ATA support).

    I wanted to play around a bit, though, and decided that I want to see
    whether I could switch to the new libata driver. After a few missteps
    I now have the system running without the old ATA driver.

    - recompile the system with libata built in (apparently even this could
    be a module), and with 'sd_mod' disk driver module
    - ATA CD/DVD drives require sr_mod in addition to regular cdrom support
    - create initrd image in stages
    - build the /boot/initrd_tree with required modules
    mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.21.5-XXX -m ext3:sd_mod -f ext3 -r /dev/sda2
    (change kernel version and root device above to suit)
    - add "SCSI disk" device nodes into /boot/initrd_tree/dev
    mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda b 8 0
    mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda1 b 8 1
    mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda2 b 8 2
    mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda3 b 8 3
    chgrp disk /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sd*
    (change the above to suit the partitioning of your boot disk)
    - create initrd image out of the initrd_tree directory hierarchy
    mkinitrd -k 2.6.21.5-XXX -m ext3:sd_mod -f ext3 -r /dev/sda2
    - create sda device entries to /dev as well (needed to re-run lilo)
    mknod -m 660 /dev/sda b 8 0
    mknod -m 660 /dev/sda1 b 8 1
    mknod -m 660 /dev/sda2 b 8 2
    mknod -m 660 /dev/sda3 b 8 3
    chgrp disk /dev/sd*
    - change /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf to reflect new disk partition
    names
    - run lilo to rebuild boot data

    As to what is the benefit of this, I don't think there's any -- but
    I just wanted to see whether an ATA-only system really can be built
    without the old ATA drivers. In a way this also might slightly reduce
    the system codebase size, as the SCSI disk driver is "anyway" required
    by USB memory sticks and such.

    There might be differences in the driver efficiency, but I didn't
    run any tests to determine these -- the overall feel of the system
    is the same, anyway - so it doesn't feel any faster/slower than it
    felt with the old ATA drivers.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

  2. Re: Slackware: switching to libata

    Juha Laiho wrote:

    > Just a set of short notes on something I toyed with..
    >
    > I installed Slackware 12 on a machine here, and it initially installed so
    > that it used the "traditional" (P)ATA driver for the disks (an old laptop
    > with just ATA support).
    >
    > I wanted to play around a bit, though, and decided that I want to see
    > whether I could switch to the new libata driver. After a few missteps
    > I now have the system running without the old ATA driver.
    >
    > - recompile the system with libata built in (apparently even this could
    > be a module), and with 'sd_mod' disk driver module
    > - ATA CD/DVD drives require sr_mod in addition to regular cdrom support
    > - create initrd image in stages
    > - build the /boot/initrd_tree with required modules
    > mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.21.5-XXX -m ext3:sd_mod -f ext3 -r /dev/sda2
    > (change kernel version and root device above to suit)
    > - add "SCSI disk" device nodes into /boot/initrd_tree/dev
    > mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda b 8 0
    > mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda1 b 8 1
    > mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda2 b 8 2
    > mknod -m 660 /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sda3 b 8 3
    > chgrp disk /boot/initrd_tree/dev/sd*
    > (change the above to suit the partitioning of your boot disk)
    > - create initrd image out of the initrd_tree directory hierarchy
    > mkinitrd -k 2.6.21.5-XXX -m ext3:sd_mod -f ext3 -r /dev/sda2
    > - create sda device entries to /dev as well (needed to re-run lilo)
    > mknod -m 660 /dev/sda b 8 0
    > mknod -m 660 /dev/sda1 b 8 1
    > mknod -m 660 /dev/sda2 b 8 2
    > mknod -m 660 /dev/sda3 b 8 3
    > chgrp disk /dev/sd*
    > - change /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf to reflect new disk partition
    > names
    > - run lilo to rebuild boot data
    >
    > As to what is the benefit of this, I don't think there's any -- but
    > I just wanted to see whether an ATA-only system really can be built
    > without the old ATA drivers. In a way this also might slightly reduce
    > the system codebase size, as the SCSI disk driver is "anyway" required
    > by USB memory sticks and such.
    >
    > There might be differences in the driver efficiency, but I didn't
    > run any tests to determine these -- the overall feel of the system
    > is the same, anyway - so it doesn't feel any faster/slower than it
    > felt with the old ATA drivers.

    Would you be so nice as to post on what hardware you did this on? I've been
    interested in doing this on a Compaq Presario R3000. Anything you post
    would be most welcomed.

    Thank you,

    --

    Jerry McBride

  3. Re: Slackware: switching to libata

    Jerry McBride said:
    >Juha Laiho wrote:
    >
    >> Just a set of short notes on something I toyed with..
    >>
    >> I installed Slackware 12 on a machine here, and it initially installed so
    >> that it used the "traditional" (P)ATA driver for the disks (an old laptop
    >> with just ATA support).
    >>
    >> I wanted to play around a bit, though, and decided that I want to see
    >> whether I could switch to the new libata driver. After a few missteps
    >> I now have the system running without the old ATA driver.

    >Would you be so nice as to post on what hardware you did this on? I've been
    >interested in doing this on a Compaq Presario R3000. Anything you post
    >would be most welcomed.

    Jerry, this was done on a Compaq Evo N800c. However, I would expect this
    to pretty much work on more or less any "well-known" ATA controller chip.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland