Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms - Setup

This is a discussion on Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms - Setup ; Greetings: I would like to add Gentoo to my machine as a second Linux distro. I put the Live CD in the drive and booted up.. no problems. I went to the GTK install and started it up and was ...

  1. Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    Greetings:

    I would like to add Gentoo to my machine as a second Linux distro. I
    put the Live CD in the drive and booted up.. no problems. I went to the
    GTK install and started it up and was presented with a screen which was
    very confusing. I read the docs and it said that if I selected the
    preferred method, as long as I have more than 8 Gig free that I wouldn't
    lose anything. But then I saw something on the install page that said I
    would lose all my data. I do NOT want to lose Ubuntu. All I want to do
    is add Gentoo as an alternative boot option.

    So then I backed out (phew) and came back to my trusty Ubuntu and
    started to use GIYF to find out a detailed set of instructions (I'd like
    to print something out so I have it next to me) but my google search

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=gentoo...&start=10&sa=N

    didn't reveal anything.

    If I do an fdisk -l from the command line I see

    Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 9352 75119908+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 9353 9729 3028252+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 30401 244196001 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

    But I'm not sure what to next.

    I like Gentoo but I don't want to lose my Ubuntu.
    Does anyone know where I can find a concise set of instructions
    (preferably step-by-step) which will show me the process of adding
    Gentoo to my PC while at the same time, not losing Ubuntu?

    Thanks

    --
    N. Marshall
    There are 10 types of people in the world:

  2. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:

    > I would like to add Gentoo to my machine as a second Linux distro.

    [...]

    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/hda1 * 1 9352 75119908+ 83 Linux
    > /dev/hda2 9353 9729 3028252+ 5 Extended
    > /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    Your hard disk is apparently fully used with two partitions: a Linux
    partition and a swap partition. There's no space left to install Gentoo.
    You want to free up some space and install Gentoo there.

    Here are the suggested steps:

    1. Make a backup. What follows is safe, but make a backup anyway.

    2. Boot from a CD and use a program such as parted (partition editor),
    GParted or QTParted to "shrink" the Ubuntu partition (/dev/hda1). I
    suggest you reduce it to half its size, leaving the other half for Gentoo.
    This should be plenty of space for both.

    Apparently the Gentoo CD doesn't include a parted program; you can use
    a live CD such as Knoppix, http://www.knoppix.org/ , Damn Small Linux,
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ , or GParted-LiveCD,
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php .

    3. In the space you freed up, create a new partition in the extended
    partition. This will be /dev/hda6.

    4. Install Gentoo in this new partition.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  3. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to add Gentoo to my machine as a second Linux distro.

    > [...]
    >
    >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >> /dev/hda1 * 1 9352 75119908+ 83 Linux
    >> /dev/hda2 9353 9729 3028252+ 5 Extended
    >> /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    > Your hard disk is apparently fully used with two partitions: a Linux
    > partition and a swap partition. There's no space left to install Gentoo.
    > You want to free up some space and install Gentoo there.
    >
    > Here are the suggested steps:
    >
    > 1. Make a backup. What follows is safe, but make a backup anyway.
    >
    > 2. Boot from a CD and use a program such as parted (partition editor),
    > GParted or QTParted to "shrink" the Ubuntu partition (/dev/hda1). I
    > suggest you reduce it to half its size, leaving the other half for Gentoo.
    > This should be plenty of space for both.
    >
    > Apparently the Gentoo CD doesn't include a parted program; you can use
    > a live CD such as Knoppix, http://www.knoppix.org/ , Damn Small Linux,
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ , or GParted-LiveCD,
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php .
    >
    > 3. In the space you freed up, create a new partition in the extended
    > partition. This will be /dev/hda6.
    >
    > 4. Install Gentoo in this new partition.

    Merci monsieur Bellefeuille si vous ete un homme. Si vous ete une
    femme, merci mme. ou mlle Bellfeuille.

    My keyboard is not set up for French characters and I would assume from
    your name, that you are indeed Francophone... j'habite en Dieppe NB et
    je parle un peut de francais.

    --
    N. Marshall
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those that know binary
    Those that do not know binary

  4. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > You could also delete the swap partition and create a new smaller one.
    > In the old days a swap partition as big as RAM or bigger was
    > recommended, but you probably don't need more than 512 MB.

    Indeed, the swap partition is huge, but not huge enough for Gentoo, I
    think: you should have at least 10 Gb, because of all the compiling you do.

    I should warn the original poster than Gentoo isn't the right distribution
    for a novice user (or for someone with a slow computer).

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  5. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:30:50 -0400, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to add Gentoo to my machine as a second Linux distro.

    > [...]
    >
    >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    >> /dev/hda1 * 1 9352 75119908+ 83 Linux
    >> /dev/hda2 9353 9729 3028252+ 5 Extended
    >> /dev/hda5 9353 9729 3028221 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    > Your hard disk is apparently fully used with two partitions: a Linux
    > partition and a swap partition. There's no space left to install Gentoo.
    > You want to free up some space and install Gentoo there.
    >
    > Here are the suggested steps:
    >
    > 1. Make a backup. What follows is safe, but make a backup anyway.
    >
    > 2. Boot from a CD and use a program such as parted (partition editor),
    > GParted or QTParted to "shrink" the Ubuntu partition (/dev/hda1). I
    > suggest you reduce it to half its size, leaving the other half for Gentoo.
    > This should be plenty of space for both.
    >
    > Apparently the Gentoo CD doesn't include a parted program; you can use
    > a live CD such as Knoppix, http://www.knoppix.org/ , Damn Small Linux,
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ , or GParted-LiveCD,
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php .
    >
    > 3. In the space you freed up, create a new partition in the extended
    > partition. This will be /dev/hda6.

    Having shrunk primary partition /dev/hda1 and not touched the already full
    extended partition, just how do you propose the primary space magically
    jump to the extended partition? He needs to either create another primary
    partition in the newly created free space, or delete the existing extended
    partition, and then create a new extended partition starting at the next
    block after the shrunk /dev/hda1 and ending at the end of the disk. If the
    latter is chosen, he will then need to re-create a swap partition, as well
    as a logical partition, or two, for the Gentoo installation.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  6. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Bill Marcum wrote:
    >
    >> You could also delete the swap partition and create a new smaller one.
    >> In the old days a swap partition as big as RAM or bigger was
    >> recommended, but you probably don't need more than 512 MB.

    > Indeed, the swap partition is huge, but not huge enough for Gentoo, I
    > think: you should have at least 10 Gb, because of all the compiling you do.
    >
    > I should warn the original poster than Gentoo isn't the right distribution
    > for a novice user (or for someone with a slow computer).

    Hmmm... a 10 gig swap? Well that seems a bit much to me but what do I
    know. So back to the drawing board. Given the configuration I have,
    and the fact that I will have to repartition /dev/hda1, can anyone
    recommend a good distro (not Red Hat although I would go with Fedora)
    that I could load on... just to get experience with another distro aside
    from Ubuntu?

    I have CDs with the following:
    Live CD of DSL, INSERT, SLAX, and Puppy Linux
    Minimal install of Debian, SUSE and Gentoo

    Entire Fedora 6 Linux distro ready to install
    Bootable versions of KNOPPIX and BackTrack live CDs
    Combination live CD/installer for Ubuntu, Gentoo and Madriva Linux
    Slackware Linux single install CD
    ISO image for Freespire combination live/install CD

    http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ch+Top+Sellers

    --
    N. Marshall
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those that know binary
    Those that do not know binary

  7. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, imotgm wrote:

    > Having shrunk primary partition /dev/hda1 and not touched the already full
    > extended partition, just how do you propose the primary space magically
    > jump to the extended partition? He needs to either create another primary
    > partition in the newly created free space...

    You're right, of course. Since the extended partition contains only the
    swap partition, I would suggest deleting it and creating a second primary
    partition (/dev/hda2) for Gentoo.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  8. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:

    > Hmmm... a 10 gig swap? Well that seems a bit much to me but what do I
    > know.

    No, not 10 Gb for the swap partition, but for the Gentoo partition.

    > So back to the drawing board. Given the configuration I have, and the
    > fact that I will have to repartition /dev/hda1, can anyone recommend a
    > good distro (not Red Hat although I would go with Fedora) that I could
    > load on... just to get experience with another distro aside from Ubuntu?

    Are you aware of the descriptions at
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major ?

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  9. Re: Adding a second distro..how to in simple terms

    Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Mr. N. Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm... a 10 gig swap? Well that seems a bit much to me but what do I
    >> know.

    > No, not 10 Gb for the swap partition, but for the Gentoo partition.
    >
    >> So back to the drawing board. Given the configuration I have, and the
    >> fact that I will have to repartition /dev/hda1, can anyone recommend a
    >> good distro (not Red Hat although I would go with Fedora) that I could
    >> load on... just to get experience with another distro aside from Ubuntu?

    > Are you aware of the descriptions at
    > http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major ?

    Ahhh... maintenant je comprend. I think I will stick with my original
    idea of adding Gentoo. I'll probably give it a try on the weekend
    unless I get brave before the. At least I'm using a backup strategy so
    if I lose it all, I'll be able to get it back.

    BTW - What distro do you use?

    --
    N. Marshall
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those that know binary
    Those that do not know binary

+ Reply to Thread