Re: Help Installing Yum - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Help Installing Yum - Setup ; On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, gnosbush wrote: > When installing it I get the following: > > [root@server installed-files]# rpm -Uhv yum-3.2.1-1.src.rpm > warning: yum-3.2.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID > 69886cc7 > 1:yum > ########################################### [100%] This ...

  1. Re: Help Installing Yum

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, gnosbush wrote:

    > When installing it I get the following:
    >
    > [root@server installed-files]# rpm -Uhv yum-3.2.1-1.src.rpm
    > warning: yum-3.2.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
    > 69886cc7
    > 1:yum
    > ########################################### [100%]

    This is what's supposed to happen. Your package was installed.

    --
    Yves Bellefeuille

  2. Re: Help Installing Yum

    On 13 Jul, 23:57, gnosb...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 5:51 pm, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, gnosbush wrote:
    > > > When installing it I get the following:

    > > > [root@server installed-files]# rpm -Uhv yum-3.2.1-1.src.rpm
    > > > warning: yum-3.2.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
    > > > 69886cc7
    > > > 1:yum
    > > > ########################################### [100%]

    > > This is what's supposed to happen. Your package was installed.

    > > --
    > > Yves Bellefeuille
    > >

    > It didn't though until I used the centos version. Do you have any
    > idea how to get around the 'Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) =
    > 2.4 is needed by package' error?

    You installed the SRPM, or source rpm. Look in /usr/src/redhat/ for
    the files from that source RPM you could use to rebuild the software.
    I really wish that source RPM's were named .srpm, instead of .rpm, to
    make the difference clear.

    You need to install the binary RPM, probably yum-3.2.1-1.i386.rpm

  3. Re: Help Installing Yum

    Nico wrote:

    > On 13 Jul, 23:57, gnosb...@gmail.com wrote:

    >> > This is what's supposed to happen. Your package was installed.

    >> > --
    >> > Yves Bellefeuille
    >> >

    >> It didn't though until I used the centos version. Do you have any
    >> idea how to get around the 'Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) =
    >> 2.4 is needed by package' error?

    > You installed the SRPM, or source rpm. Look in /usr/src/redhat/ for
    > the files from that source RPM you could use to rebuild the software.
    > I really wish that source RPM's were named .srpm, instead of .rpm, to
    > make the difference clear.
    >
    > You need to install the binary RPM, probably yum-3.2.1-1.i386.rpm

    Isn't also better to do when the package is already gone:

    rpm -ivh yum-3.2.1-1.rpm
    instead of
    rpm -Uvh yum-3.2.1-1.rpm

    "U" is for upgrade, it's intended for when you upgrade something already
    installed. the OP said he'd removed yum and then wanted to reinstall it.
    The man page isn't clear about whether it's ok to also use U in the
    situation where the package is gone. Since update implies removing the
    old package I guess it just looks around in the proper locations
    and is happy if the files are already gone.

    Mark

  4. Re: Help Installing Yum

    On 15 Jul, 05:41, Mark <-...@---.---> wrote:

    > Isn't also better to do when the package is already gone:
    >
    > rpm -ivh yum-3.2.1-1.rpm
    > instead of
    > rpm -Uvh yum-3.2.1-1.rpm
    >
    > "U" is for upgrade, it's intended for when you upgrade something already
    > installed. the OP said he'd removed yum and then wanted to reinstall it.
    > The man page isn't clear about whether it's ok to also use U in the
    > situation where the package is gone. Since update implies removing the
    > old package I guess it just looks around in the proper locations
    > and is happy if the files are already gone.

    -U works just fine. It's also vital when you install a mix of
    packages, some of which are updates, and some of which are brand new
    but require those updated other packages.

  5. Re: Help Installing Yum

    On 15 Jul, 10:04, Nico wrote:
    > On 15 Jul, 05:41, Mark <-...@---.---> wrote:

    > > "U" is for upgrade, it's intended for when you upgrade something already
    > > installed. the OP said he'd removed yum and then wanted to reinstall it.
    > > The man page isn't clear about whether it's ok to also use U in the
    > > situation where the package is gone. Since update implies removing the
    > > old package I guess it just looks around in the proper locations
    > > and is happy if the files are already gone.

    > -U works just fine. It's also vital when you install a mix of
    > packages, some of which are updates, and some of which are brand new
    > but require those updated other packages.

    And I'm following up to myself: "rpm -U" is only really a problem for
    packages that will support multiple copies at the same time, such as
    kernels and a few obscure packages such as db1, db2, db3, and db4.

+ Reply to Thread