Re: Help With Yum? - Setup

This is a discussion on Re: Help With Yum? - Setup ; On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:33:27 +0000, gnosbush wrote: > I just upgraded my server from RedHat 9 to Fedora 5. I have never used > yum in the past but it appears that this is what should be used. ...

  1. Re: Help With Yum?

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:33:27 +0000, gnosbush wrote:

    > I just upgraded my server from RedHat 9 to Fedora 5. I have never used
    > yum in the past but it appears that this is what should be used. I need
    > to install two things but I am having a heck of a time trying to get yum
    > to install them. I need httpd-devel and vnc. Can someone suggest what
    > the yum.conf file should look like to get these two applications? Any
    > help is greatly appreciated.

    Both of those packages should be available from the default repositories
    so you shouldn't need any modification to yum. Just use "yum install
    " to install. You can also use "yum provides " to
    find package names that include a particular file or "yum list "
    to list package names with optional wildcards.

    One particularly useful repository that isn't included by default is
    livna. You can download an rpm for it at rpm.livna.org which will update
    your yum config automatically.

    - Chris

  2. Re: Help With Yum?

    On 13 Jul, 06:16, Netlurker wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:33:27 +0000, gnosbush wrote:
    > > I just upgraded my server from RedHat 9 to Fedora 5. I have never used
    > > yum in the past but it appears that this is what should be used. I need
    > > to install two things but I am having a heck of a time trying to get yum
    > > to install them. I need httpd-devel and vnc. Can someone suggest what
    > > the yum.conf file should look like to get these two applications? Any
    > > help is greatly appreciated.

    > Both of those packages should be available from the default repositories
    > so you shouldn't need any modification to yum. Just use "yum install
    > " to install. You can also use "yum provides " to
    > find package names that include a particular file or "yum list "
    > to list package names with optional wildcards.
    >
    > One particularly useful repository that isn't included by default is
    > livna. You can download an rpm for it at rpm.livna.org which will update
    > your yum config automatically.
    >
    > - Chris

    Unfortunately, that package is rather hazardous. It has no version
    number in the downloaded package name, and it adds a whole stack of
    repositories you really, really may have to beware due to legal
    issues, such as NVidia drivers for which you haven't signed an NVidia
    user agreement to install.

+ Reply to Thread