Debian linux usb memory stick access Q - Setup

This is a discussion on Debian linux usb memory stick access Q - Setup ; I am a newbie. I have learned to set the date and time. I can mount and umount the floppy drive. I am working my way through a linux manual trying to learn it. I am only in terminal-text mode. ...

  1. Debian linux usb memory stick access Q

    I am a newbie. I have learned to set the date and time. I can mount
    and umount the floppy drive. I am working my way through a linux manual
    trying to learn it. I am only in terminal-text mode. Graphics are way
    too slow.

    How do I open a file on the usb memory stick with the editor, if i can,
    or get data on or off the usb memory stick.

    I plugged in a usb memory stick into a thinkpad 285 laptop running
    Deiban (stable) linux. My screen produced these comments:

    user1@localhost:$ (the prompt)

    USBB 1-1.1 new full speed usb device
    using uhci_hcd and address 11
    usb 1-1.1 configuration #1 chosen from choice scsi3: SCSI emulation for
    USB mass storage devices
    Vendor USB2.0 model Mobile Disk
    Rev: 1.00
    Type direct-access ANSI SCSI revision : 02
    sda Write Protect Off
    sda assuming driver cach3: write through
    SCSI device sda: 4030463 512 bytes hdwr Sectors (2064MB)
    sda : Write Protect off
    sda : sda1
    sd 3:0:0:0: attached SCSI
    removble disk sda

    I have a subdirectory srv but somebody said this device should be sr0.

    help/comments appreciated.

  2. Re: Debian linux usb memory stick access Q

    Em Quinta, 12 de Julho de 2007 11:01, enquiring mind escreveu:

    > I have a subdirectory srv but somebody said this device should be sr0.
    >
    > help/comments appreciated.

    No, usualy it is /dev/sda1

    with you pen connected do as root

    # fdisk -l
    to see if you pen has a partition, the usualy do

    then create a mount point for it (a folder) it can be /mnt/usbvolume

    then edit your /etc/fstab
    to add a line like this:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbvolume vfat user,noauto,umask=0 0 0
    (save file and exit)

    now you can mount/unmount you pen whit a device icon on desktop or with
    kwikdisk, or in case you use gnome, there are ways to mount/unmount volumes
    by clicking also.

    regards

+ Reply to Thread