Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems. - Setup

This is a discussion on Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems. - Setup ; Hi, I┤ve had a lot of problems getting my new machine booting. All got sorted the other day. I finally got to the point where I could install an OS, so installed Ubuntu to try it out. All seemed to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Hi,

    I┤ve had a lot of problems getting my new machine booting. All got
    sorted the other day.

    I finally got to the point where I could install an OS, so installed
    Ubuntu to try it out. All seemed to go fine. Rebooted into the new
    machine and:

    1) No GUI
    2) No Madwifi network
    3) Could not, whatever I tried, get to root. su wouldn┤t work even
    though the password was right. Managed to change the password of root
    with Ęsudo passwdĘ and set it to the same password, I can now get in
    as root.
    4) Got the GUI up after doing ĘX -configureĘ and copying over the new
    xorg.conf.
    5) Got the network up using the GUI tool.
    6) Installed the ATi drivers, Ubuntu tells me I need to reboot and
    then as it restarts, my monitor is no more, won┤t display POST/BIOS or
    anything!
    7) Using my massive old SGI monitor I┤ve managed to get into the OS,
    changed the keyboard to UK (intl) and now when I try to use quotes or
    apostrophes it beeps doesn┤t display anything and basically I have to
    type it twice to get the character.

    Been using Gentoo for over 5 years, Linux for over 10, never had any
    problems like these.

    Thanks,
    Luke.

  2. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 09:30, lucretia escreveu:

    > 1) No GUI
    > 2) No Madwifi network
    > 3) Could not, whatever I tried, get to root. su wouldn┬┤t work even
    > though the password was right. Managed to change the password of root
    > with ┬Ęsudo passwd┬Ę and set it to the same password, I can now get in
    > as root.

    acount it's blocked, use sudo instead

    > 4) Got the GUI up after doing ┬ĘX -configure┬Ę and copying over the new
    > xorg.conf.
    > 5) Got the network up using the GUI tool.
    > 6) Installed the ATi drivers, Ubuntu tells me I need to reboot and
    > then as it restarts, my monitor is no more, won┬┤t display POST/BIOS or
    > anything!

    ???? reboot ? are you sure you're talking about linux at all?

    where did you get those drivers?

  3. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    On 11 Jul, 09:57, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 09:30, lucretia escreveu:
    >
    > > 1) No GUI
    > > 2) No Madwifi network
    > > 3) Could not, whatever I tried, get to root. su wouldn┬┤t work even
    > > though the password was right. Managed to change the password of root
    > > with ┬Ęsudo passwd┬Ę and set it to the same password, I can nowget in
    > > as root.

    > acount it's blocked, use sudo instead

    Why is it blocked? I┬┤m not new to Linux. Also, why does it need my
    password rather than the root password? How do I unblock it? I┬┤m used
    to a root user account, thanks.

    > > 4) Got the GUI up after doing ┬ĘX -configure┬Ę and copying overthe new
    > > xorg.conf.
    > > 5) Got the network up using the GUI tool.
    > > 6) Installed the ATi drivers, Ubuntu tells me I need to reboot and
    > > then as it restarts, my monitor is no more, won┬┤t display POST/BIOS or
    > > anything!

    > ???? reboot ? are you sure you're talking about linux at all?

    Yeah. I ran ┬ĘX -configure┬Ę to get a basic xorg.conf and it worked, but
    had a few weird lines in it:

    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection

    etc.

    So, I┬┤m not sure if that┬┤s what started to kill it.

    I rebooted after installing the ATi drivers (via the gui update
    manager - apt?) and when it rebooted the machine, at the post/bios
    screen, I could see nothing. It didn┬┤t get to the OS before the screen
    died.

    > where did you get those drivers?

    See above.

    And why do I have to type ┬┤ or ┬Ę twice to get the character? That┼Ť
    just f**kin weird!

    Luke.

  4. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 20:30, lucretia escreveu:

    >> acount it's blocked, use sudo instead

    > Why is it blocked? I┬┤m not new to Linux. Also, why does it need my
    > password rather than the root password?

    Good question

    > How do I unblock it? I┬┤m used
    > to a root user account, thanks.

    i'm not a ubuntu user, i've just been reading that using sudo is better than
    su...

    > Yeah. I ran ┬ĘX -configure┬Ę to get a basic xorg.conf and it worked, but
    > had a few weird lines in it:
    >
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Viewport 0 0
    > Depth 1
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Viewport 0 0
    > Depth 4
    > EndSubSection

    viewports ?
    i'm not sure about but i think that have to do with multiple monitors

    > etc.
    >
    > So, I┬┤m not sure if that┬┤s what started to kill it.
    >
    > I rebooted after installing the ATi drivers (via the gui update
    > manager - apt?) and when it rebooted the machine, at the post/bios
    > screen, I could see nothing. It didn┬┤t get to the OS before the screen
    > died.

    are you sure your monitor is dead? that is the wierdest part of all...

    >> where did you get those drivers?

    > See above.
    >
    > And why do I have to type ┬┤ or ┬Ę twice to get the character? That┼Ť
    > just f**kin weird!

    does your keyboard works fine if you don't start a X session ?

    i would verify every line of your xorg.conf file.

    regards

  5. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    On 11 Jul, 21:29, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 20:30, lucretia escreveu:
    >

    > >> acount it's blocked, use sudo instead

    > > Why is it blocked? I┬┤m not new to Linux. Also, why does it need my
    > > password rather than the root password?

    > Good question

    Yes, it is, isn't it?

    > > How do I unblock it? I┬┤m used
    > > to a root user account, thanks.

    > i'm not a ubuntu user, i've just been reading that using sudo is better than
    > su...

    Why's that then? I know it's on Debian as well.

    > > Yeah. I ran ┬ĘX -configure┬Ę to get a basic xorg.conf and it worked, but
    > > had a few weird lines in it:

    > > SubSection "Display"
    > > Viewport 0 0
    > > Depth 1
    > > EndSubSection
    > > SubSection "Display"
    > > Viewport 0 0
    > > Depth 4
    > > EndSubSection

    > viewports ?
    > i'm not sure about but i think that have to do with multiple monitors

    Nah, they're defined on my old machine and I copied the "generic"
    stuff over from the livecd xorg.conf and they have them too.

    > > etc.

    > > So, I┬┤m not sure if that┬┤s what started to kill it.

    > > I rebooted after installing the ATi drivers (via the gui update
    > > manager - apt?) and when it rebooted the machine, at the post/bios
    > > screen, I could see nothing. It didn┬┤t get to the OS before the screen
    > > died.

    > are you sure your monitor is dead? that is the wierdest part of all...

    Well:

    1) No picture
    2) A clicking noise emanating from it.
    3) Power gets to it, as it goes into power save mode eventually.

    But screwed, yes. Dead, not completely.

    > >> where did you get those drivers?

    > > See above.

    > > And why do I have to type ┬┤ or ┬Ę twice to get the character? That┼Ť
    > > just f**kin weird!

    > does your keyboard works fine if you don't start a X session ?

    Dunno.

    > i would verify every line of your xorg.conf file.

    I already changed the lines to an "pc101(intl)" and "gb" when I
    rebooted, Ubuntu noticed a difference between the GNOME and the X
    configs and asked which to keep, kept the X one and all works fine
    now ;D Still a **** way to do it.

    > regards

    Laters,
    Luke.

  6. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    lucretia writes:
    > Why is it blocked?

    Root logins are disabled on Ubuntu to prevent naive new users from running
    as root.

    > I┤m not new to Linux. Also, why does it need my password rather than the
    > root password? How do I unblock it?

    If you aren't new to Linux you know that sudo normally asks for the user's
    password. You also know how to use vipw and passwd to unblock root logins.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  7. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    lucretia writes:
    > Why's that then? I know it's on Debian as well.

    What's on Debian as well?
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  8. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    On 2007-07-11, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > i'm not a ubuntu user, i've just been reading that using sudo is better than
    > su...

    For certain purposes, yes. If you want to grant a user (even yourself)
    limited rights to perform certain tasks, then sudo works great.
    However, if you want a root shell, so that you don't have to prefix
    every single command you type with "sudo", then su is better. Note that
    it's a common idiom to do

    sudo su -

    and then use /etc/sudoers to limit access to su. Then you can keep the
    root password secure, instead using sudo to prompt the allowed-to-su
    user to use his own password to gain root instead of the root password.
    Keep in mind that if the user's password is compromised, the root
    account has automatically been compromised as well.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  9. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 22:11, John Hasler escreveu:

    > lucretia writes:
    >> Why is it blocked?

    > Root logins are disabled on Ubuntu to prevent naive new users from running
    > as root.

    If they abuse of the sudo there is no gain

  10. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 22:20, Keith Keller escreveu:
    > Keep in mind that if the user's password is compromised, the root
    > account has automatically been compromised as well.

    That is why i don't like sudo

  11. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    ArameFarpado writes:
    > If they abuse of the sudo there is no gain

    Yes there is. They can only run single commands via sudo whereas they can
    (and often will) log in as root and do everything that way.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  12. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    ArameFarpado writes:
    > That is why i don't like sudo

    Sudo need not give every user full root privileges.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  13. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    On 2007-07-11, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 22:20, Keith Keller escreveu:
    >> Keep in mind that if the user's password is compromised, the root
    >> account has automatically been compromised as well.

    > That is why i don't like sudo

    Then don't give that user rights to sudo su.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  14. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quinta, 12 de Julho de 2007 00:22, John Hasler escreveu:

    > Yes there is. They can only run single commands via sudo whereas they can
    > (and often will) log in as root and do everything that way.

    Humm? In that case, they deserve to have the're system trashed...

  15. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quinta, 12 de Julho de 2007 00:24, John Hasler escreveu:

    > Keith Keller writes:
    >> Keep in mind that if the user's password is compromised, the root
    >> account has automatically been compromised as well.

    > ArameFarpado writes:
    >> That is why i don't like sudo

    > Sudo need not give every user full root privileges.

    In that case, a root account will be needed, eventually...

  16. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quinta, 12 de Julho de 2007 01:07, Keith Keller escreveu:

    > On 2007-07-11, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >> Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 22:20, Keith Keller escreveu:
    >>> Keep in mind that if the user's password is compromised, the root
    >>> account has automatically been compromised as well.

    >> That is why i don't like sudo

    > Then don't give that user rights to sudo su.
    >
    > --keith

    Well, at least one person must know how to gain administrator rights, or who
    will administrate the system?

  17. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    On 2007-07-11, ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Quarta, 11 de Julho de 2007 22:11, John Hasler escreveu:
    >
    >> lucretia writes:
    >>> Why is it blocked?

    >> Root logins are disabled on Ubuntu to prevent naive new users from running
    >> as root.

    > If they abuse of the sudo there is no gain

    Of course there is--the naive user is going to log in at xdm or
    equivalent, which means their whole X session will be run as non-root.
    More likely than not all of their GUI apps will also be run non-root.
    So, in this scenario it's unlikely that a naive user can permanently
    damage the core OS by accident. If this naive user abuses sudo, then of
    course he can hose his OS, but that's his own fault.

    As john points out, there's also the sit-on-fingers aspect of sudo: the
    more characters you need to type to accomplish a task, the more time you
    have to catch yourself doing something stupid.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  18. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    ArameFarpado writes:
    > In that case, a root account will be needed, eventually...

    Only one user needs full root privileges. We are discussing a multiuser
    system, remember?
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  19. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quinta, 12 de Julho de 2007 01:12, Keith Keller escreveu:

    >> If they abuse of the sudo there is no gain

    > Of course there is--the naive user is going to log in at xdm or
    > equivalent, which means their whole X session will be run as non-root.
    > More likely than not all of their GUI apps will also be run non-root.

    Look, i know easy ways to block root login in kdm or gdm, and i know distros
    that come configured that way... it only takes a line on a config file.
    There are also other distros that display a huge red warning when you start
    X as root.

    And they would only be naive once, people usualy learn with they're
    mistakes, don't they?

    you're to one that said:
    ""Keep in mind that if the user's password is compromised, the root
    account has automatically been compromised as well.""

    doesn't naive users usualy use "123" for there passwords?

  20. Re: Ubuntu killed my monitor and other problems.

    Em Quinta, 12 de Julho de 2007 01:29, John Hasler escreveu:

    > I wrote:
    >> Sudo need not give every user full root privileges.

    > ArameFarpado writes:
    >> In that case, a root account will be needed, eventually...

    > Only one user needs full root privileges.

    Who? the "desabled guy" ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast