Please help to setup the Wifi - Setup

This is a discussion on Please help to setup the Wifi - Setup ; Hi all, I'm having Debian "etch" (released on 28th of May) on my HP dv2132ea laptop. But still I couldn't configure the wifi devices and the bluetooth on my lap. The wi-fi manager tool is not auto recognising the wireless ...

  1. Please help to setup the Wifi

    Hi all,

    I'm having Debian "etch" (released on 28th of May) on my HP dv2132ea
    laptop.
    But still I couldn't configure the wifi devices and the bluetooth on
    my lap.
    The wi-fi manager tool is not auto recognising the wireless device.
    The wireless device is Integrated to the lap and it is Intel® Pro/
    Wireless 2200 802.11b/g Wireless LAN.

    Please help me to configure the wireless device and to connect.

    thank you.

  2. Re: Please help to setup the Wifi

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:21:53 +0000, kaari wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm having Debian "etch" (released on 28th of May) on my HP dv2132ea
    > laptop.
    > But still I couldn't configure the wifi devices and the bluetooth on my
    > lap.
    > The wi-fi manager tool is not auto recognising the wireless device. The
    > wireless device is Integrated to the lap and it is IntelĀ® Pro/ Wireless
    > 2200 802.11b/g Wireless LAN.
    >
    > Please help me to configure the wireless device and to connect.
    >
    > thank you.

    Take a look at ndiswrapper

    --
    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done
    http://beginnerslinux.org

  3. Re: Please help to setup the Wifi

    repo wrote:

    >> The wi-fi manager tool is not auto recognising the wireless device. The
    >> wireless device is Integrated to the lap and it is IntelĀ® Pro/ Wireless
    >> 2200 802.11b/g Wireless LAN.
    >>
    >> Please help me to configure the wireless device and to connect.
    >>
    >> thank you.

    > Take a look at ndiswrapper

    I don't think you need ndiswrapper for this device.
    It uses the ipw2200 module in the kernel.

    1. See if the module is installed, with
    lsmod | grep 2200 .

    2. If it is not, try
    modprobe ipw2200

    3. Then see what iwconfig says.

    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: Please help to setup the Wifi

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:21:53 +0000, kaari wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm having Debian "etch" (released on 28th of May) on my HP dv2132ea
    > laptop.
    > But still I couldn't configure the wifi devices and the bluetooth on
    > my lap.
    > The wi-fi manager tool is not auto recognising the wireless device.
    > The wireless device is Integrated to the lap and it is Intel® Pro/
    > Wireless 2200 802.11b/g Wireless LAN.
    >
    > Please help me to configure the wireless device and to connect.
    >
    > thank you.

    Caveat: I am not running Debian "etch."

    Intel's 2200 chipset has enjoyed full kernel support, since 2.6.x. (x is
    some variable which I don't recall. It is definitely supported with
    kernels I use- 2.6.16.22, 2.6.17.13, 2.6.21.5.)

    Beside the kernel module, you need the matching firmware. Get a matching
    firmware here:
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

    The firmware is installed at /lib/firmware in Slackware.

    Or else, you might find the firmware specifically within Debian package.
    As I said, I couldn't advise in you about the specifics of Debian.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread