Language and 12 Hr clock - Setup

This is a discussion on Language and 12 Hr clock - Setup ; Im working in Debian Etch. I downloaded the VMWare virtual machine and Im learning Linux this way before I switch. I have two issues. First of all, I have no quote mark. I cant put the quote mark in anything. ...

  1. Language and 12 Hr clock

    Im working in Debian Etch. I downloaded the VMWare virtual machine and
    Im learning Linux this way before I switch.

    I have two issues. First of all, I have no quote mark. I cant put the
    quote mark in anything. I think this is a language/keyboard problem but
    I cant figure out how to fix it. Any suggestions?

    Second, my clock is 24 hour and Id like to change it to 12 hour, am/pm.
    How do I do this?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Language and 12 Hr clock

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 20:17:09 +0000, Suzanne Thwogswallow wrote:

    > Im working in Debian Etch. I downloaded the VMWare virtual machine and
    > Im learning Linux this way before I switch.

    Ahh, just reformat C: and install Linux onto the full thing. You'll be
    amazed how quickly you'll learn Linux

    > I have two issues. First of all, I have no quote mark. I cant put the
    > quote mark in anything. I think this is a language/keyboard problem but
    > I cant figure out how to fix it. Any suggestions?

    Do you mean under X Window or just on the console? If on the console, the
    only things I can think of would be a) keyboard's key is broken b)
    non-standard keyboard (country-specific), or c) interaction with VMWare.
    Under X11, keys are mapped under the Xserver's config file, either
    XF86Config or xorg.conf

    I can't imagine why this would be on a normal US standard keyboard,
    unless, of course, if you are not using a US standard keyboard. It may
    also have something to do with key mapping from VMWare. Linux running
    under VMWare is not going to behave exactly like a native install. Make
    sure you locale is set correctly, as well.

    > Second, my clock is 24 hour and Id like to change it to 12 hour, am/pm.
    > How do I do this?

    Set you timezone, TZ file and envvar, set you locale, and use hwclock to
    set the RTC clock to 12 hour.

    /etc/localtime should be a symlink to your timezone or location under
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/, like:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2005-02-09 02:46 /etc/localtime ->
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

    The TZ variable is the same:

    TZ=America/New_York

    "tzselect" comes with glibc and can aid in this.

    To set locale:

    LC_ALL=en_US
    LANG=en_US

    or whatever is appropriate.

    and export them:

    export LC_ALL LANG TZ

    tcsh/csh uses 'setenv LC_ALL en_US' like that. The hwclock command I can't
    remember exactly because it's been so long, but try 'hwclock --help' and
    look at the options. Once the hardware clock is set correctly, you can set
    the system time from it: hwclock --localtime --hctosys

    All these commands should be put in the system startup files, and the
    envvars in a nice place like /etc/environment if this file gets read on
    your system, which is set in /etc/login.defs for 'login' via the
    ENVIRON_FILE envvar.

    Two pdf's to pick up: "Linux Administration Made Easy" and "Linux: Rute
    User's Tutorial and Exposition" that will answer many of your Linux
    questions. You might also want to browse www.linuxquestions.org.

    --
    [RBL:Just A Bad Idea] Do not use DNS-RBL; Demand your ISP stop.
    Tell RoadRunner/Adelphia, Netzero,etc: don't trash your mail.

+ Reply to Thread