Windows installation over Linux - Setup

This is a discussion on Windows installation over Linux - Setup ; Hello Friends, Is there any possibilities - to change up all application runining on windows enviornment to a linux system. company need to change over into linux , form windows... application such as photoshop etc ...need to shift into linux......any ...

  1. Windows installation over Linux

    Hello Friends,

    Is there any possibilities - to change up all application runining on
    windows enviornment to a linux system.

    company need to change over into linux , form windows...

    application such as photoshop etc ...need to shift into
    linux......any idea..please

    Regards
    Melbin Mathew

  2. Re: Windows installation over Linux

    "JOHN MATHEW" wrote in message
    news:1183717466.440435.212440@z28g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...

    > Is there any possibilities - to change up all application runining on
    > windows enviornment to a linux system.
    >
    > company need to change over into linux , form windows...
    >
    > application such as photoshop etc ...need to shift into
    > linux......any idea..please

    Two different methods . . .
    1. Select Linux software that (can import your old data
    and) offers the same functionality as Windows apps.
    2. Instal Linux software that emulates Windows well
    enough to run your Windows apps. The O'Reilly
    manual Running Linux lists VMware, Win4Lin and
    some others, saying all "are fairly immature and
    significantly limited."

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Windows installation over Linux

    JOHN MATHEW wrote:
    > Hello Friends,
    >
    > Is there any possibilities - to change up all application runining on
    > windows enviornment to a linux system.
    >
    > company need to change over into linux , form windows...
    >
    > application such as photoshop etc ...need to shift into
    > linux......any idea..please

    Nightmare.

    You will need to change all the applications or run VMWARE.

    Not sure photoshop is available in Linux..might be better to go MAC OSX :-)

    > Regards
    > Melbin Mathew

  4. Re: Windows installation over Linux

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 03:24:26 -0700, JOHN MATHEW wrote:

    > Is there any possibilities - to change up all application runining on
    > windows enviornment to a linux system.

    I have found that for anything I did on Windows years ago, there was a
    comparable or better Linux app available. Look around Freshmeat.net and
    Sourceforge.net; new stuff comes out all the time. What's left Wine can
    run most of the time. With that I've run Masm32, MS Visual C/C++, PPView,
    Adobe Acrobat, mIRC, WinZip, and various others I've forgotten.

    Not sure of your exact needs, but look at OpenOffice, KDE or Gnome, Gimp,
    Cups, Samba, Bluefish, Esp Ghostscript, Emacs, Xine, AbiWord & teTeX for
    starters. There's no reason a properly set up Linux workstation can't be
    every bit as user-friendly as your typical Windows system.

    --
    [RBL:Just A Bad Idea] Do not use DNS-RBL; Demand your ISP stop.
    Tell RoadRunner/Adelphia, Netzero,etc: don't trash your mail.

+ Reply to Thread