debian dependency problem - Setup

This is a discussion on debian dependency problem - Setup ; Hi, I recently find the ethereal did not work, so I tried to remove & install it. I get the following: mail:/etc/apt# apt-get install ethereal Reading Package Lists... Done Building Dependency Tree... Done Some packages could not be installed. This ...

  1. debian dependency problem

    Hi, I recently find the ethereal did not work, so I tried to remove &
    install it. I get the following:

    mail:/etc/apt# apt-get install ethereal
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    or been moved out of Incoming.

    that package should be filed.

    ethereal: Depends: wireshark (= 0.99.4-5.etch.0) but it is not going to be
    installed
    E: Broken packages
    mail:/etc/apt#

    I'm not sure how to fix it. Anyone can give me some hints? I'm not sure if I
    run into some big problems. I'm running Sarge, in the version of wireshark
    it said 0.99.4-5.**etch**.0.

    Thanks
    Eric

  2. Re: debian dependency problem

    Eric Wong wrote:
    > Hi, I recently find the ethereal did not work, so I tried to remove &
    > install it. I get the following:
    >
    > mail:/etc/apt# apt-get install ethereal
    > Reading Package Lists... Done
    > Building Dependency Tree... Done
    > or been moved out of Incoming.
    >
    > Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    > the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    > that package should be filed.

    > ethereal: Depends: wireshark (= 0.99.4-5.etch.0) but it is not going to be
    > installed
    > E: Broken packages
    > mail:/etc/apt#
    >
    > I'm not sure how to fix it. Anyone can give me some hints? I'm not sure if I
    > run into some big problems. I'm running Sarge, in the version of wireshark
    > it said 0.99.4-5.**etch**.0.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Sarge used to be stable, now it's oldstable. Most likely your /etc/apt/
    sources.list still reports "stable".

    You'll have to change into either "sarge" or "oldstable" and retry but
    this time use aptitude, not apt-get.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  3. Re: debian dependency problem

    Hi,

    Thanks Ottavio, it solved the problem, and I can upgrade now. However, I
    don't know how to use aptitude. I'll make sure to check it out when I have
    the time.

    Also thanks Bill, I tried apt-get install wireshark and then it told me
    something else has problems, and at the end there is a version conflict in a
    certain library.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread