usb disk insists on being readonly - Setup

This is a discussion on usb disk insists on being readonly - Setup ; lalawawa wrote: > On Jul 28, 9:46 pm, Roby wrote: >> lalawawa wrote: >> >> Put a disk label on the usb drive and use it to identify the right device >> by putting something like this in /etc/fstab: >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: usb disk insists on being readonly

    lalawawa wrote:

    > On Jul 28, 9:46 pm, Roby wrote:
    >> lalawawa wrote:
    >>
    >> Put a disk label on the usb drive and use it to identify the right device
    >> by putting something like this in /etc/fstab:
    >>
    >> /dev/disk/by-label/my_usb_disk /media/st ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    >>
    >> The label is case-sensitive.

    > OK, sounds great. How do I put a label on the disk?

    For ntfs, use ntfslabel (or use windows).
    For ext2/3, use either e2label or tune2fs -L.

    Or just use a felt-tip marking pen!

  2. Re: usb disk insists on being readonly

    Roby wrote:
    > lalawawa wrote:
    >> On Jul 28, 9:46 pm, Roby wrote:
    >>> lalawawa wrote:
    >>> Put a disk label on the usb drive and use it to identify the right device
    >>> by putting something like this in /etc/fstab:

    >>> /dev/disk/by-label/my_usb_disk /media/st ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
    >>>
    >>> The label is case-sensitive.

    >> OK, sounds great. How do I put a label on the disk?

    > For ntfs, use ntfslabel (or use windows).
    > For ext2/3, use either e2label or tune2fs -L.

    > Or just use a felt-tip marking pen!

    Cute but all of those are for labeling the /media/st not for labeling the /dev
    which is the suggestion here. So the question here is involve the /dev and I
    would like to know about that too if it is possible.

    --
    An entire cool summer is trumped by a warm day in January if you are a
    global melter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2