ufs-tools: compile on modern system - Setup

This is a discussion on ufs-tools: compile on modern system - Setup ; While making a disk to do installs with, I noticed 'mkufs' had been linked wrong, depending on a 'libufs/libufs.so' that of course wouldn't be found. When I tried to fix and recompile the ufs-tools, I found out that it won't ...

  1. ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    While making a disk to do installs with, I noticed 'mkufs' had been linked
    wrong, depending on a 'libufs/libufs.so' that of course wouldn't be found.
    When I tried to fix and recompile the ufs-tools, I found out that it won't
    compile now using GCC 4.2.0 with my 2.6.21.5 kernel. There are some
    patches around, findable by Google, but the webportal I found them on
    destroyed the spacing in the diff output which broke the patch. These I
    applied by hand. Apart from this, there were a few other things to fix
    (like the 'libufs/libufs.so' name to libufs.so conversion) and the
    makefiles could be better if setup differently. According to the patches'
    author, he sent his changes to the maintainer but got no answer. Prehaps
    the project is dead, but that leaves Linux with no way that I know of to
    make UFS file systems.

    I didn't test this much, but at least it compiles again.

    http://ufs-linux.sourceforge.net/

  2. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 06:27:54 -0400, jayjwa wrote:

    > http://ufs-linux.sourceforge.net/

    (actual patch part of this post was cut off)

    Got to love my ****ty ISP. Each time I attempt a post some time of patch
    or shar file containing a patch to my newsserver, the connection is cut. I
    repeated this little experiment 7 times and same thing each time. Someone
    running a horrifically broken filter on news posting that disconnects when
    it sees certain data? I don't know...no other way to explain this.

    Apologies in advance of it spits them later as duplicate posts, but it
    seems they went to /dev/null.

    So, last try, try #8, tftp://atr2.ath.cx/ufs-tools-patchset-1.patch.shar

    (and bet *this* post goes thru without error as the data part is now a URL)

  3. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    jayjwa wrote:

    > Got to love my ****ty ISP. Each time I attempt a post some time of patch
    > or shar file containing a patch to my newsserver, the connection is cut.

    That's because you attempted to post an attachment to a
    UseNet group. UseNet has never accepted attachments.
    Don't blame your ISP for a user training issue. Do ask your
    ISP for their docs on the topic.

    Since UFS format has been declared obsolete for Linux use
    it doesn't surprise me that you have not found an easy path.
    Sorry, but working with old filesystem formats is development
    work that is not easy. Keep at it and you will eventually get
    through.

    UFS has been used in Solaris for many years. Consider
    downloading a personal copy of the parts of Solaris sources
    that are released and work with them as reference material.

  4. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    Package: libufs2
    Section: libs
    Installed-Size: 60
    Maintainer: Guillem Jover
    Architecture: i386
    Source: ufsutils
    Version: 0.0+2004.06.26-4
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
    Filename: pool/main/u/ufsutils/libufs2_0.0+2004.06.26-4_i386.deb
    Size: 8766
    MD5sum: 62df0acc78ebd3340ab19ecd63cb35d3
    SHA1: d02610cc5ef6a2b8cb4e594c91caefc24e5ac069
    SHA256: c4514aeafb631f0da43c08c481c9474989770150d74b58945e 3da75e96030df5
    Shared library to manage the UFS filesystem, mostly used in BSD or derived
    operating systems. This include FFS, UFS and UFS2.

    Package: ufsutils
    Section: utils
    Installed-Size: 400
    Maintainer: Guillem Jover
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 0.0+2004.06.26-4
    Provides: fsck-backend
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libedit2 (>= 2.5.cvs.20010821-1), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1), libufs2
    Conflicts: hurd
    Filename: pool/main/u/ufsutils/ufsutils_0.0+2004.06.26-4_i386.deb
    Size: 148140
    MD5sum: 42c4d0048596c75b559ef8c3e458e5c8
    SHA1: 56089b2f47ad4306f9da8a4dd431782311add61c
    SHA256: b994d1d7edcb1a82d876d43dd3d481cc012795e41f5af4a0cf a0ac27376e1652
    Utilities to manage the UFS filesystem, mostly used in BSD or derived
    operating systems. This include FFS, UFS and UFS2.

  5. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    On 5 Jul, 23:26, Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > That's because you attempted to post an attachment to a
    > UseNet group. UseNet has never accepted attachments.
    > Don't blame your ISP for a user training issue. Do ask your
    > ISP for their docs on the topic.

    You don't go look in alt.binaries much, do you?

    Seriously, it's a group by group decision. Most such attachments are
    sent out to the balkans of alt.binaries.

    > Since UFS format has been declared obsolete for Linux use
    > it doesn't surprise me that you have not found an easy path.
    > Sorry, but working with old filesystem formats is development
    > work that is not easy. Keep at it and you will eventually get
    > through.

    Well, yes.

    > UFS has been used in Solaris for many years. Consider
    > downloading a personal copy of the parts of Solaris sources
    > that are released and work with them as reference material.

    Jay? Why do you want to do this?

  6. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 05:28:58 -0700, Nico wrote:

    > On 5 Jul, 23:26, Doug Freyburger wrote:
    >
    >> That's because you attempted to post an attachment to a
    >> UseNet group. UseNet has never accepted attachments.
    >> Don't blame your ISP for a user training issue. Do ask your
    >> ISP for their docs on the topic.

    > You don't go look in alt.binaries much, do you?

    Actually, it wasn't an attachment, it was similar to:

    (a paragraph or two of text about ufs stuff and a URL)

    (start of the diff's)
    diff blah blah
    diff something something

    - minus this
    + plus that
    and so on and so forth...

    Part of it actually came thru.

    >> Since UFS format has been declared obsolete for Linux use
    >> it doesn't surprise me that you have not found an easy path.
    >> Sorry, but working with old filesystem formats is development
    >> work that is not easy. Keep at it and you will eventually get
    >> through.

    It must still be around, it's here in this recent kernel:
    /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/fs/ufs/ufs.ko

    > Jay? Why do you want to do this?

    Well, I was making a root disk that had all the file maintenance utilities
    on it that I had. When I went to test 'mkufs', it failed run due to
    linking funny. It wanted 'libufs/libufs.so', verbatum. When I went to
    change that to 'libufs.so', I found it wouldn't compile again under gcc
    4.2.0 and so tried to fix it, then thought no harm in putting out what I
    did.

  7. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:24:49 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

    > Package: libufs2
    > Section: libs
    > Installed-Size: 60
    > Maintainer: Guillem Jover
    > Architecture: i386
    > Source: ufsutils

    > The following utilities are provided:
    > - mkfs.ufs
    > - fsck.ufs
    > - fsdb.ufs
    > - dumpfs.ufs
    > - growfs.ufs
    > - tunefs.ufs
    > - badsect.ufs
    > - ffsinfo

    Ah, the Debian one. I didn't find that in my search for some reason. p7zip
    should get the files out the .deb., as I don't have a Debian package
    system. Thanks for the info.

  8. Re: ufs-tools: compile on modern system

    On 8 Jul, 00:39, jayjwa wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 05:28:58 -0700, Nico wrote:

    > > Jay? Why do you want to do this?

    > Well, I was making a root disk that had all the file maintenance utilities
    > on it that I had. When I went to test 'mkufs', it failed run due to
    > linking funny. It wanted 'libufs/libufs.so', verbatum. When I went to
    > change that to 'libufs.so', I found it wouldn't compile again under gcc
    > 4.2.0 and so tried to fix it, then thought no harm in putting out what I
    > did.

    Fair enough.

+ Reply to Thread