LVM remote snapshot - Setup

This is a discussion on LVM remote snapshot - Setup ; Let's say I have a linux box, say RHES 4 or Centos 4, which I have put everything but the boot partition in a LVM partition. Now I would like to back it up. So, I could connect an external ...

  1. LVM remote snapshot

    Let's say I have a linux box, say RHES 4 or Centos 4, which I have put
    everything but the boot partition in a LVM partition. Now I would like
    to back it up. So, I could connect an external USB drive, then create
    the snapshot LVM device and go from there. Now, let's say the disk I
    want to snapshot to is in a different machine running the same OS. Is
    it possible to somehow offer this disk to the first machine such that
    it can then create its lvm and then run the snapshot?

  2. Re: LVM remote snapshot

    Mauricio staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have put everything but the boot partition in LVM [LVs]. Now I would
    > like to back it up. So, I could connect an external USB drive, then
    > create the snapshot LVM device and go from there. Now, let's say the
    > disk I want to [create a snapshot on] is in a different machine
    > running the same OS. Is it possible to somehow offer this disk to the
    > first machine?

    It's possible, but it's also more of a pain than connecting the disk
    directly. Read Documentation/nbd.txt for the basics. Then modprobe nbd
    on machine1 , run nbd-server on machine2 with appropriate options, then
    nbd-client /dev/nb0 on machine1. Then run pvcreate on
    /dev/nb0 and vgcreate (or vgextend, or whatever) and lvcreate. Then do
    the snapshot thing. The PV and LV sitting on the network block device
    will be much slower than directly connected disks. But it should work.

    --
    The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in
    late and owns the worm farm. --Travis McGee