Is crontab sensitive to time zones - Setup

This is a discussion on Is crontab sensitive to time zones - Setup ; When a crontab is created does it conform to the users timezone or the servers timezone? If the crontab has to be created in accordance with the servers timezone is it possible to create a crontab in your user account's ...

  1. Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    When a crontab is created does it conform to the users timezone or the
    servers timezone?

    If the crontab has to be created in accordance with the servers
    timezone is it possible to create a crontab in your user account's
    timezone and have it converted to the servers format automatically.

    Where is the user's crontab stored in any case?

    - voipfc

  2. Re: Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 04:20:36 -0700, voipfc wrote:

    > Where is the user's crontab stored in any case?

    Click up a terminal and
    man -k crontrab

  3. Re: Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    On 2007-06-30, voipfc wrote:
    > When a crontab is created does it conform to the users timezone or the
    > servers timezone?

    The server.

    > If the crontab has to be created in accordance with the servers
    > timezone is it possible to create a crontab in your user account's
    > timezone and have it converted to the servers format automatically.

    How is the server supposed to know which in which timezone the user
    resides? The user should be the one doing the conversion, since
    the user knows where he is.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    voipfc wrote:
    > When a crontab is created does it conform to the users timezone or the
    > servers timezone?
    >
    > If the crontab has to be created in accordance with the servers
    > timezone is it possible to create a crontab in your user account's
    > timezone and have it converted to the servers format automatically.
    >
    > Where is the user's crontab stored in any case?

    The server's TZ at least I have never come across a one that gave a damn about
    mine nor any transmission of my TZ in the login process. The only question I
    have found worth checking is if the server is on its local TZ or Greenwich time
    (or whatever it is called these days.) It is worth checking if daylight savings
    time might be an issue for you.

    --
    If a politician says he is doing it for the good of the children rest
    assured it is about the money.

  5. Re: Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    voipfc wrote:
    > When a crontab is created does it conform to the users timezone or the
    > servers timezone?

    It ¨conforms¨ to the user´s timezone on the server. Just set TZ
    appropriately in your account on the server and you´ll be fine,
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  6. Re: Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    John Hasler wrote:
    > voipfc wrote:
    >> When a crontab is created does it conform to the users timezone or the
    >> servers timezone?

    > It ¨conforms¨ to the user´s timezone on the server. Just set TZ
    > appropriately in your account on the server and you´ll be fine,

    Not sure that is correct.
    Crontab itself runs as a root type process..it will pickup presumably
    what the server time is reckoned to be as the time to execute a script.

    However a users timezone will be picked up by any user installed
    scripts, under user space crontab entries. That wonlt affect WHEN they
    are executed..tho.

    Why not test by setting your local user TZ to something weird, and
    installing a cron script and have it simply echo the date?

  7. Re: Is crontab sensitive to time zones

    I think crontab works on server time and not sensitive to timezone.
    I tried it out, and the server was still showing localtime, even though i changed my timezone settings to local time. It did not work. I am trying to get it work for updates checkout
    http://digitalpbk.blogspot.com/2009/...-php-date.html
    http://digitalpbk.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread