Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk - Setup

This is a discussion on Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk - Setup ; Hello, I have installed Fedora Core 6 without problems using a driver disk for my HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 controller. Now I want to update all my packages which would include the kernel. I suppose that my system wouldn't boot anymore ...

  1. Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    Hello,

    I have installed Fedora Core 6 without problems using a driver disk
    for my HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 controller.

    Now I want to update all my packages which would include the kernel. I
    suppose that my system wouldn't boot anymore if I'd do so because of
    the missing drivers for the RAID controller. So how to update the
    kernel package and adding the driver disk to it? Is there an easy way
    to run the update?

    Greetings,
    Glenn

  2. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    Glenn Kusardi wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed Fedora Core 6 without problems using a driver disk
    > for my HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 controller.
    >
    > Now I want to update all my packages which would include the kernel. I
    > suppose that my system wouldn't boot anymore if I'd do so because of
    > the missing drivers for the RAID controller. So how to update the
    > kernel package and adding the driver disk to it? Is there an easy way
    > to run the update?

    Did not yum work?

    --
    If a Democrat were president the Republicans would be against the Iraq war.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3797

  3. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    On 27 Jun., 22:54, Matt Giwer wrote:

    > > I have installed Fedora Core 6 without problems using a driver disk
    > > for my HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 controller.
    > > Now I want to update all my packages which would include the kernel. I

    > Did not yum work?

    It is working, but when I do that, Linux isn't booting anymore because
    of the missing RAID controller driver. The new kernel isn't capable to
    access the RAID but I do have the necessary driver. I just want to get
    the new kernel working with them :-).

  4. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    On 28 Jun, 08:39, Glenn Kusardi wrote:
    > On 27 Jun., 22:54, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    > > > I have installed Fedora Core 6 without problems using a driver disk
    > > > for my HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 controller.
    > > > Now I want to update all my packages which would include the kernel. I

    > > Did not yum work?

    > It is working, but when I do that, Linux isn't booting anymore because
    > of the missing RAID controller driver. The new kernel isn't capable to
    > access the RAID but I do have the necessary driver. I just want to get
    > the new kernel working with them :-).

    Heh. Yeah, this is why I try to avoid needing non-standard kernels to
    boot with. The usual technique is to boot with the kernel and drivers
    that work, and review the installer for the add-on kernel drivers to
    see how to add it or compile it in for the new kernel, then run
    "mkinitrd" to add the new drivers to the /boot/initrd-* file as
    necessary.

    Unfortunately, a lot of driver installers suck really hard. And
    HighPoint seems to be one of the bad ones, I can say from previous
    experience. Does the development or testing kernel for Fedora Core 7
    work?

  5. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    On 28 Jun., 10:27, Nico wrote:

    > Heh. Yeah, this is why I try to avoid needing non-standard kernels to
    > boot with. The usual technique is to boot with the kernel and drivers
    > that work, and review the installer for the add-on kernel drivers to
    > see how to add it or compile it in for the new kernel, then run
    > "mkinitrd" to add the new drivers to the /boot/initrd-* file as
    > necessary.

    This is the way I have done it now. Getting the new kernel package,
    booting with the old one and then compiling the driver against the new
    kernel. A more automatic way would be great, but this method is
    working at least.

    Compiling and installing the HighPoint source driver was easy. It was
    just a "make KERNELDIR=/path/to/new/kernel/build" and "make install
    KERNELDIR=/path/to/new/kernel/build".

    mkinitrd is automatically called from "make install" so this is very
    easy.

    > experience. Does the development or testing kernel for Fedora Core 7
    > work?

    I didn't made any experiences with Fedora 7 yet.

    Glenn

  6. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    Glenn Kusardi wrote:
    > On 27 Jun., 22:54, Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >>> I have installed Fedora Core 6 without problems using a driver disk
    >>> for my HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 controller.
    >>> Now I want to update all my packages which would include the kernel. I

    >> Did not yum work?

    > It is working, but when I do that, Linux isn't booting anymore because
    > of the missing RAID controller driver. The new kernel isn't capable to
    > access the RAID but I do have the necessary driver. I just want to get
    > the new kernel working with them :-).

    Why not put /boot on a non-raid drive, and everything else on the RAID? This
    might be the simplest solution. A small drive would be enough (25 megabytes,
    if you can get one that small). And you could use the rest of the space for
    low priority stuff if you wanted to.

    ^^-^^ 08:00:01 up 7 days, 15:35, 4 users, load average: 4.28, 4.26, 4.15

  7. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    On 28 Jun, 10:33, Glenn Kusardi wrote:

    > This is the way I have done it now. Getting the new kernel package,
    > booting with the old one and then compiling the driver against the new
    > kernel. A more automatic way would be great, but this method is
    > working at least.
    >
    > Compiling and installing the HighPoint source driver was easy. It was
    > just a "make KERNELDIR=/path/to/new/kernel/build" and "make install
    > KERNELDIR=/path/to/new/kernel/build".

    Yeah, a good installer will detect other kernels present and install
    drivers for those as well. But it''s awkward to do.

    > mkinitrd is automatically called from "make install" so this is very
    > easy.
    >
    > > experience. Does the development or testing kernel for Fedora Core 7
    > > work?

    > I didn't made any experiences with Fedora 7 yet.

    It's only in testing mode right now, it's not quite released.

  8. Re: Updating kernel using yum and adding a driver disk

    On 28 Jun, 13:03, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > Why not put /boot on a non-raid drive, and everything else on the RAID? This
    > might be the simplest solution. A small drive would be enough (25 megabytes,
    > if you can get one that small). And you could use the rest of the space for
    > low priority stuff if you wanted to.

    This can be..... fraught. For example, many el cheapo IDE controllers,
    and drivers with them, re-order the devices at odd moments. The
    published add-on drivers for Promise controllers, for years, had a
    hard-coded setting of switching the /dev/hde and /dev/hdf drives to
    look like /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, to try and force the Promise managed
    drives to be seen first.

    Ye ghods, those things were *awful*. It's why I try to get 3Ware and
    Adaptec controllers these days: more robust, more supported, and more
    consistent in their quality and behavior.

+ Reply to Thread