I'm building a backup system for a small network and I'm trying to
stay away from tapes, but I need to be able to bring the backup
storage off-site. I currently have a 1U 2x 5.25HH external drive bay
with 2 Addonics Diamond drive cartridge systems, connected to an
Addonics SATA-II card (really the Silicon Image 3132 (sil24 module on
libata). I've purchased 4 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II drives to
use in the cartridge systems. I don't want to have to shut the system
down (and I shouldn't) to pull the drives out and put new ones in when
a particular drive has reached it's rotation. What do I need to do
(kernel rebuild, script to bring drives offline/back online, etc.) to
"hot-swap" these drives? The sil24 module is installed and running,
giving me these drives as /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc. As well, what would
be the recommended FS for backing data up to? XFS, Reiser, Ext3?
Thanks.

--
Andrew