Help me choose a Linux Distro - Setup

This is a discussion on Help me choose a Linux Distro - Setup ; I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises. I need a distro that fulfills all the following: 1.Easy Instalation I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps possible 2.Desktop ...

  1. Help me choose a Linux Distro

    I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    I need a distro that fulfills all the following:

    1.Easy Instalation

    I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    possible

    2.Desktop Enviroment

    After installation there should be a desktop environment in place that
    has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    network and user configuration.

    3.Easy package add and removal

    I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time
    and that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to
    have installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    should be able to remove it in the same way. I am particularly
    interested on packages like MySQL 5.X , web server and mail server.

    Please remember that I have only basic Linux knowledge. I just want a
    distro where I can easily test and learn mayor packages as MYSQL.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Artificer wrote:

    > I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    > I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >
    > 1.Easy Instalation
    >
    > I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    > possible
    >
    > 2.Desktop Enviroment
    >
    > After installation there should be a desktop environment in place that
    > has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    > network and user configuration.
    >
    > 3.Easy package add and removal
    >
    > I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time
    > and that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to
    > have installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    > packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    > should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    > should be able to remove it in the same way. I am particularly
    > interested on packages like MySQL 5.X , web server and mail server.
    >
    > Please remember that I have only basic Linux knowledge. I just want a
    > distro where I can easily test and learn mayor packages as MYSQL.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Try it with politeness.

  3. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Artificer wrote:

    > I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    > I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >
    > 1.Easy Instalation
    >
    > I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    > possible
    >
    > 2.Desktop Enviroment
    >
    > After installation there should be a desktop environment in place that
    > has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    > network and user configuration.
    >
    > 3.Easy package add and removal
    >
    > I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time
    > and that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to
    > have installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    > packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    > should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    > should be able to remove it in the same way. I am particularly
    > interested on packages like MySQL 5.X , web server and mail server.
    >
    > Please remember that I have only basic Linux knowledge. I just want a
    > distro where I can easily test and learn mayor packages as MYSQL.

    I would have thought any distribution would provide this.

    My choice would be Fedora-7 with KDE or Kubuntu.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Artificer wrote:
    > I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    > I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >
    > 1.Easy Instalation

    Damn Small Linux. It doesn't even require installation.

    > I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    > possible

    My Dsl Browser

    > 2.Desktop Enviroment

    Yes, as above

    > After installation there should be a desktop environment in

    place that
    > has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    > network and user configuration.

    DSL has Fluxbox ans JWM
    > 3.Easy package add and removal

    as above
    > I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time
    > and that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to
    > have installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    > packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    > should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    > should be able to remove it in the same way.

    Once you got the grips with DSL you can switch over to Debian.

    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  5. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    F8BOE wrote:

    > Artificer wrote:
    >
    >> I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    >> I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >>
    >> 1.Easy Instalation
    >>
    >> I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    >> possible
    >>
    >> 2.Desktop Enviroment
    >>
    >> After installation there should be a desktop environment in place that
    >> has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    >> network and user configuration.
    >>
    >> 3.Easy package add and removal
    >>
    >> I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time
    >> and that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to
    >> have installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    >> packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    >> should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    >> should be able to remove it in the same way. I am particularly
    >> interested on packages like MySQL 5.X , web server and mail server.
    >>
    >> Please remember that I have only basic Linux knowledge. I just want a
    >> distro where I can easily test and learn mayor packages as MYSQL.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > Try it with politeness.

    As well, there is really no easy answer. I use Mandriva
    (http://www.mandriva.com), and it goes a long way towards meeting your
    requirements, but in the end, it is personal preference. Any mainstream
    distro now makes it easy to add and remove programs, including
    their "dependencies" - other programs that you have to install as well
    before the one you want will run. That is the big difference between
    Linux and Windows, where program packages usually come with all the DLLs.
    Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) now has a server version, but probably no
    desktop with it, since servers are often run with a minimum of "extras."
    You could install their desktop version and add MySQL to it. I am actually
    running a mixture of both, including MySQL, under Mandriva, and its
    installer asks you what you want to run on your computer.

    HTH,

    Doug.

  6. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:42:56 -0700, Artificer wrote:

    > I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises. I
    > need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >
    > 1.Easy Instalation
    >
    > I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps possible
    >
    > 2.Desktop Enviroment
    >
    > After installation there should be a desktop environment in place that
    > has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    > network and user configuration.
    >
    > 3.Easy package add and removal
    >
    > I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time and
    > that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to have
    > installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    > packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    > should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    > should be able to remove it in the same way. I am particularly
    > interested on packages like MySQL 5.X , web server and mail server.
    >
    > Please remember that I have only basic Linux knowledge. I just want a
    > distro where I can easily test and learn mayor packages as MYSQL.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    PCLinuxOS 2007 Final satisfies all your requirements.

    It is about the easiest install I've ever come across. Pretty much takes
    care of everything automagically with very little input from the user.
    All GUI config utilities. Simple and very intuitive. Works well on both
    old and new systems. I have it installed on a 5 year old Dell Inspiron
    5000e notebook (500MHz P3 and 256MB RAM) and a self built, 5 to 7 year
    old desktop system (1GHz Duron with 512MB RAM). No problems. Runs
    smartly on both even with the default KDE GUI. Uses Synaptic, a GUI front-
    end for apt, for package and dependency management. Repositories are
    already preconfigured for you, but simple to change, if you so desire.
    All through a GUI interface. Plus, it installs most browser plug-ins by
    default. It even runs Windows Media Player files. 99% of other Linux
    distros don't include plug-ins at all. You have to install them yourself
    AFTER the OS installation is complete. What a pain.

    Perfect distro for the Linux tyro.

    Check out the details: www.pclinuxos.com

    Stef

  7. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Artificer wrote:
    > I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    > I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    > 1.Easy Instalation
    > I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    > possible

    How will you know the fewest steps without trying a few of them? Not many
    people try different distributions available at the same time to count the
    steps. Answers that are out of date are useless.

    > 2.Desktop Enviroment
    > After installation there should be a desktop environment in place that
    > has at least basic visual administrative tools for common tasks like
    > network and user configuration.

    KDE and Gnome and others are the same in all distributions. Linux is not
    dependent on them. All linux has is a choice of command line interfaces of which
    bash is the most popular. Technically linux does not even have shells like bash.
    The OS can get along quite well without them although it will make the user
    wonder what to do with the computer as paperweight.

    > 3.Easy package add and removal
    > I would like to have a visual application that I can run at any time
    > and that allow me to choose from a list packages that I would like to
    > have installed and configured. Preferable it should be just a list of
    > packages with check boxes. If I check one of the packages the package
    > should be installed and configured on a "standard" configuration and I
    > should be able to remove it in the same way. I am particularly
    > interested on packages like MySQL 5.X , web server and mail server.

    Why not find a local linux group and hire someone. If you have no interest in
    learning you might as well stick with windows. As with any tool you have to
    learn how to use it. The implication of MS as something that requires no
    learning comes at a very heavy price no one who knows better would pay. I mean
    installation is so simple that a new application can disable other applications
    without the need for the user to even be told it is going to happen. It saves
    the user from making decisions and worrying.

    > Please remember that I have only basic Linux knowledge. I just want a
    > distro where I can easily test and learn mayor packages as MYSQL.

    Whichever you choose will become the best there is.

    No one thinks of a car as an effortless thing to learn and use. No one thinks
    of even a blender or microwave as something effortless to learn and use. Why do
    you expect to find an operating system to be effortless? If all you ever want to
    do is the simplest things then stick with Microsoft. You have no need for linux.

    And one hopes you have used databases before because you are not going to jump
    into any of them without having a grasp of the basic concepts of how computers
    work. And if you do I do not see the point of your questions.

    All that said, Redhat FC7, choose custom install, scroll to the bottom and
    choose install everything. Get it started before you go to sleep and reboot in
    the morning.

    yum upgrade

    brings you up to date. Adding a new package is

    yum install packagename*

    or

    yum -nogpgcheck localinstall package.rpm

    and the other part is

    yum erase packagename*

    I think those are simple enough.

    Read the fine man page or just type yum to see what else is possible.

    --
    The purpose of torturing prisoners is to torture prisoners.
    It has no other purpose.

  8. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Matt Giwer (jull43@tampabay.REMover.rr.com) writes:
    > Artificer wrote:
    >> I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    >> I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >> 1.Easy Instalation
    >> I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    >> possible

    > How will you know the fewest steps without trying a few of them?
    > Not many people try different distributions available at the same time
    > to count the steps. Answers that are out of date are useless.

    But "number of steps" is also irrelevant. When I slapped the latest
    version of Slackware on my drive in May, I didn't really have to do
    much, though of course I've done it before. Yet everyone is always
    talking about how "Slackware is for the advanced user".

    We also need to examine this "easy to install" question, since it's
    one of those Big Steps that people perceive as such before they
    can enter the land of Linux, yet it is a relatively minor step (no
    matter how big). You won't be constantly installing Linux, but you
    will be constantly using Linux (if you stick with it). So other factors
    may be far more significant for the beginning user than how easy it
    is to install.

    I once posted about this and someone replied that it is an issue
    since every time you need to upgrade you'll have to deal with the
    installer. And that is a valid point. Yet, the issue of the install
    process is the gateway to Linux, and people often only see that first
    Big Step, and not much beyond it. Once you've passed through that
    install, a lot of things will look different.

    Michael

  9. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Michael writes:
    > I once posted about this and someone replied that it is an issue since
    > every time you need to upgrade you'll have to deal with the installer.

    This is certainly not true of Debian.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  10. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    Michael Black wrote:
    > Matt Giwer (jull43@tampabay.REMover.rr.com) writes:
    >> Artificer wrote:
    >>> I want to choose a linux distro that I will use for testing porpoises.
    >>> I need a distro that fulfills all the following:
    >>> 1.Easy Instalation
    >>> I should be able to install it with the fewest amount of steps
    >>> possible

    >> How will you know the fewest steps without trying a few of them?
    >> Not many people try different distributions available at the same time
    >> to count the steps. Answers that are out of date are useless.

    > But "number of steps" is also irrelevant. When I slapped the latest
    > version of Slackware on my drive in May, I didn't really have to do
    > much, though of course I've done it before. Yet everyone is always
    > talking about how "Slackware is for the advanced user".

    Back with Slack 3.0 I could barely spell linux and had no problem. A later
    version sort of earned the advanced user because the obscure description of how
    to get the graphics mode working. I never figured it out and upgraded RH 5 to 6
    instead of trying it. I assume it was really simple wrapped in needless detail
    instead of making it an installation choice.

    > We also need to examine this "easy to install" question, since it's
    > one of those Big Steps that people perceive as such before they
    > can enter the land of Linux, yet it is a relatively minor step (no
    > matter how big). You won't be constantly installing Linux, but you
    > will be constantly using Linux (if you stick with it). So other factors
    > may be far more significant for the beginning user than how easy it
    > is to install.

    > I once posted about this and someone replied that it is an issue
    > since every time you need to upgrade you'll have to deal with the
    > installer. And that is a valid point. Yet, the issue of the install
    > process is the gateway to Linux, and people often only see that first
    > Big Step, and not much beyond it. Once you've passed through that
    > install, a lot of things will look different.

    I never turned back once MS had trashed my HD for the third in a month.
    No one said an UPS was mandatory with Windows. Florida lightning is a bitch. And
    besides it made an honest man of me because with Gimp I didn't have to pirate
    photoshop.

    --
    The purpose of torturing prisoners is to torture prisoners.
    It has no other purpose.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3805
    flying saucers http://www.giwersworld.org/flyingsa.html a2

  11. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    [ John Hasler ] wrote:
    > Michael writes:
    >> I once posted about this and someone replied that it is an issue since
    >> every time you need to upgrade you'll have to deal with the installer.

    > This is certainly not true of Debian.

    Indeed, all you need to upgrade to the latest release is:

    apt-get dist-upgrade

    But I guess Michel's point is, that The Slack is pretty easy to install.
    OTOH I am afraid most new users want a GUI based installer, requiring
    only a few mouse clicks.

    Unfortunately many new users are not really interested in GNU/Linux, but
    seek for an alternative to Windows, just to get rid of all the mallware
    'nd stuff.

    I would recommend a Live distro like PCLinuxOS or (K)Ubuntu:

    http://www.pclinuxos.org
    http://www.ubuntu.com
    --
    |_|0|_| Registered Linux user # 394093
    |_|_|0| http://counter.li.org
    |0|0|0| http://ml2mst.topcities.com

  12. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    On 2007-06-26, ml2mst wrote:

    > But I guess Michel's point is, that The Slack is pretty easy to install.
    > OTOH I am afraid most new users want a GUI based installer, requiring
    > only a few mouse clicks.

    The irony, of course, is that most of the GUI-based installers require
    many more than only a few mouse clicks. I recently did a Centos 4.4
    install, and the number of screens/decision points was more or less
    comparable to my Slackware installs. The only actual difference I found
    is that the Slackware installer expects you to have already partitioned
    prior to starting setup, whereas CentOS has a partition screen.
    Everything else is eye candy.

    This is splitting hairs, but I've found most distributions fairly easy
    to install; the difference is in configuring them once installed. Back
    to my example, CentOS does a whole lot automatically (including X, which
    I hate configuring myself), whereas Slackware leaves things to the admin
    (which, excepting X, I prefer).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  13. Re: Help me choose a Linux Distro

    [ Keith Keller ] wrote:
    > On 2007-06-26, ml2mst wrote:
    >> But I guess Michel's point is, that The Slack is pretty easy to install.
    >> OTOH I am afraid most new users want a GUI based installer, requiring
    >> only a few mouse clicks.

    > The irony, of course, is that most of the GUI-based installers require
    > many more than only a few mouse clicks. I recently did a Centos 4.4
    > install, and the number of screens/decision points was more or less
    > comparable to my Slackware installs. The only actual difference I found
    > is that the Slackware installer expects you to have already partitioned
    > prior to starting setup, whereas CentOS has a partition screen.
    > Everything else is eye candy.

    I agree with you to some extend. I prefer the Slack's install as well.
    Cfdisk and co, require you to know exactly what your doing. Also I agree
    that most GUI installers require more than "just a few mouse clicks",
    however the install GUI's of those Live CD's actually require a maximum
    of 6.

    > This is splitting hairs, but I've found most distributions fairly easy
    > to install; the difference is in configuring them once installed. Back
    > to my example, CentOS does a whole lot automatically (including X, which
    > I hate configuring myself), whereas Slackware leaves things to the admin
    > (which, excepting X, I prefer).

    In the 1990's I had no problem configuring X with xf86config, but since
    most distributions have this hardware recognition, I guess I became
    somewhat lazy :-) Only if it doesn't work right out of the box, I'll
    configure it manually (which is very rare these days).

    --
    |_|0|_| Registered Linux user # 394093
    |_|_|0| http://counter.li.org
    |0|0|0| http://ml2mst.topcities.com