Is it Memory or processor? - Setup

This is a discussion on Is it Memory or processor? - Setup ; I have been having trouble while converting my dv files to mpeg thro' kino as well as converting my photos to mpeg or .vob using dvd- slideshow. 50% of the times the PC hangs somewhere during. Mostly while mpeg2enc or ...

  1. Is it Memory or processor?

    I have been having trouble while converting my dv files to mpeg thro'
    kino as well as converting my photos to mpeg or .vob using dvd-
    slideshow. 50% of the times the PC hangs somewhere during. Mostly
    while mpeg2enc or convert or Transcode is running. Not sure if it is
    memory problem or processor. I have a 512 RAM with 3Gb Swap and Athlon
    XP 2600 1.9Gb processor on Linux Fedora core 5. checking the memory
    usage while the process is running shows that RAM used is about 80-90%
    and Swap almost nothing. Checking the processor usage shows that CPU
    usage can be from 45% to 70% to sometimes close to 100% while mpeg2enc
    is running. So what could be the reason? Is it worth adding another
    512 RAM? Anyother way or either slowing it down so that it finishes
    without hanging?

    Thanks for your help
    NS

  2. Re: Is it Memory or processor?

    sridhar wrote:
    > I have been having trouble while converting my dv files to mpeg thro'
    > kino as well as converting my photos to mpeg or .vob using dvd-
    > slideshow. 50% of the times the PC hangs somewhere during. Mostly
    > while mpeg2enc or convert or Transcode is running. Not sure if it is
    > memory problem or processor. I have a 512 RAM with 3Gb Swap and Athlon
    > XP 2600 1.9Gb processor on Linux Fedora core 5. checking the memory
    > usage while the process is running shows that RAM used is about 80-90%

    How did you check memory usage? I ask because just looking at total memory
    consumed on my machine, with 8 GBytes RAM, even when the machine is "idle,"
    shows > 95% memory consumption. Usually around 2/3 of it is just input cache
    data that can be discarded anytime the kernel wishes to assign RAM to a process.

    > and Swap almost nothing. Checking the processor usage shows that CPU
    > usage can be from 45% to 70% to sometimes close to 100% while mpeg2enc
    > is running. So what could be the reason? Is it worth adding another
    > 512 RAM?

    Not likely. If it is not paging, you do not need more memory.

    > Anyother way or either slowing it down so that it finishes
    > without hanging?

    If you are overclocking your machine, stop doing that. Otherwise, slowing it
    down is a mistake. You might try memtest86 program (stand-alone) to test
    your memory. Do it for a long time; e.g., overnight.

    > Thanks for your help
    > NS

    ^^-^^ 07:00:01 up 2 days, 14:35, 3 users, load average: 4.23, 4.21, 4.19

  3. Re: Is it Memory or processor?

    On Jun 23, 4:07 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > sridhar wrote:
    > > I have been having trouble while converting my dv files to mpeg thro'
    > > kino as well as converting my photos to mpeg or .vob using dvd-
    > > slideshow. 50% of the times the PC hangs somewhere during. Mostly
    > > while mpeg2enc or convert or Transcode is running. Not sure if it is
    > > memory problem or processor. I have a 512 RAM with 3Gb Swap and Athlon
    > > XP 2600 1.9Gb processor on Linux Fedora core 5. checking the memory
    > > usage while the process is running shows that RAM used is about 80-90%

    > How did you check memory usage? I ask because just looking at total memory
    > consumed on my machine, with 8 GBytes RAM, even when the machine is "idle,"
    > shows > 95% memory consumption. Usually around 2/3 of it is just input cache
    > data that can be discarded anytime the kernel wishes to assign RAM to a process.
    >
    > > and Swap almost nothing. Checking the processor usage shows that CPU
    > > usage can be from 45% to 70% to sometimes close to 100% while mpeg2enc
    > > is running. So what could be the reason? Is it worth adding another
    > > 512 RAM?

    > Not likely. If it is not paging, you do not need more memory.
    >
    > > Anyother way or either slowing it down so that it finishes
    > > without hanging?

    > If you are overclocking your machine, stop doing that. Otherwise, slowing it
    > down is a mistake. You might try memtest86 program (stand-alone) to test
    > your memory. Do it for a long time; e.g., overnight.
    >

    > > Thanks for your help
    > > NS

    > --
    > .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
    > /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine 241939.
    > /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
    > ^^-^^ 07:00:01 up 2 days, 14:35, 3 users, load average: 4.23, 4.21, 4.19

    Could you pl. tell me how to run memtest86. I could get the rpm for
    fc5. But I guess it is to be run before it boots up, but how and how
    do I see the results? Any info on this will help.
    Thanks, NS

  4. Re: Is it Memory or processor?

    sridhar wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 4:07 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> sridhar wrote:
    >>> I have been having trouble while converting my dv files to mpeg thro'
    >>> kino as well as converting my photos to mpeg or .vob using dvd-
    >>> slideshow. 50% of the times the PC hangs somewhere during. Mostly
    >>> while mpeg2enc or convert or Transcode is running. Not sure if it is
    >>> memory problem or processor. I have a 512 RAM with 3Gb Swap and Athlon
    >>> XP 2600 1.9Gb processor on Linux Fedora core 5. checking the memory
    >>> usage while the process is running shows that RAM used is about 80-90%

    >> How did you check memory usage? I ask because just looking at total memory
    >> consumed on my machine, with 8 GBytes RAM, even when the machine is "idle,"
    >> shows > 95% memory consumption. Usually around 2/3 of it is just input cache
    >> data that can be discarded anytime the kernel wishes to assign RAM to a process.
    >>
    >>> and Swap almost nothing. Checking the processor usage shows that CPU
    >>> usage can be from 45% to 70% to sometimes close to 100% while mpeg2enc
    >>> is running. So what could be the reason? Is it worth adding another
    >>> 512 RAM?

    >> Not likely. If it is not paging, you do not need more memory.
    >>
    >>> Anyother way or either slowing it down so that it finishes
    >>> without hanging?

    >> If you are overclocking your machine, stop doing that. Otherwise, slowing it
    >> down is a mistake. You might try memtest86 program (stand-alone) to test
    >> your memory. Do it for a long time; e.g., overnight.
    >>

    >>> Thanks for your help

    > Could you pl. tell me how to run memtest86. I could get the rpm for
    > fc5. But I guess it is to be run before it boots up, but how and how
    > do I see the results? Any info on this will help.
    > Thanks, NS

    memtest86 is normally written to a floppy, and you just reboot the system
    from the floppy. I write it to a CD-ROM instead, since my experience with
    floppies is that they are very short-lived. They used last longer, but they
    were never very reliable.

    You just boot with the floppy (or, in my case, the CD-ROM) in place. It is a
    stand-alone program; it does not matter what Linux distribution, Windows
    version, or what you run on your computer, but it must run the *86
    instruction set.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    ^^-^^ 09:20:01 up 2 days, 16:55, 3 users, load average: 4.00, 4.05, 4.12

  5. Re: Is it Memory or processor?

    On Jun 23, 6:33 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > sridhar wrote:
    > >> How did you check memory usage? I ask because just looking at total memory
    > >> consumed on my machine, with 8 GBytes RAM, even when the machine is "idle,"
    > >> shows > 95% memory consumption. Usually around 2/3 of it is just input cache
    > >> data that can be discarded anytime the kernel wishes to assign RAM to a process.

    > >> Not likely. If it is not paging, you do not need more memory.

    > >> If you are overclocking your machine, stop doing that. Otherwise, slowing it
    > >> down is a mistake. You might try memtest86 program (stand-alone) to test
    > >> your memory. Do it for a long time; e.g., overnight.

    > > Could you pl. tell me how to run memtest86. I could get the rpm for
    > > fc5. But I guess it is to be run before it boots up, but how and how
    > > do I see the results? Any info on this will help.
    > > Thanks, NS

    > memtest86 is normally written to a floppy, and you just reboot the system
    > from the floppy. I write it to a CD-ROM instead, since my experience with
    > floppies is that they are very short-lived. They used last longer, but they
    > were never very reliable.
    >
    > You just boot with the floppy (or, in my case, the CD-ROM) in place. It is a
    > stand-alone program; it does not matter what Linux distribution, Windows
    > version, or what you run on your computer, but it must run the *86
    > instruction set.
    >
    > http://www.memtest86.com/
    >
    > --
    > .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
    > /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine 241939.
    > /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
    > ^^-^^ 09:20:01 up 2 days, 16:55, 3 users, load average: 4.00, 4.05, 4.12

    I tried what you said. What I find is that my system hangs when
    memtest is going thro' Test #8. I tried changing the slot for my RAM
    but still the same. Any idea it means? Bad memory or a bug? Thanks

    NS

  6. Re: Is it Memory or processor?

    sridhar wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 6:33 pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> sridhar wrote:
    >>> Could you pl. tell me how to run memtest86. I could get the rpm for
    >>> fc5. But I guess it is to be run before it boots up, but how and how
    >>> do I see the results? Any info on this will help.
    >>> Thanks, NS

    >> memtest86 is normally written to a floppy, and you just reboot the system
    >> from the floppy. I write it to a CD-ROM instead, since my experience with
    >> floppies is that they are very short-lived. They used last longer, but they
    >> were never very reliable.
    >>
    >> You just boot with the floppy (or, in my case, the CD-ROM) in place. It is a
    >> stand-alone program; it does not matter what Linux distribution, Windows
    >> version, or what you run on your computer, but it must run the *86
    >> instruction set.
    >>
    >> http://www.memtest86.com/

    > I tried what you said. What I find is that my system hangs when
    > memtest is going thro' Test #8. I tried changing the slot for my RAM
    > but still the same. Any idea it means? Bad memory or a bug? Thanks
    >
    > NS

    My guess is bad memory since I have never experienced a bug in the memtest86
    program. It is remotely possible that memtest86 has a bug, but it would
    probably have been discovered before now if it were there.

    Did you read the README file that comes with the program?

    ^^-^^ 14:45:01 up 3 days, 22:20, 3 users, load average: 4.19, 4.05, 4.01

  7. Re: Is it Memory or processor?

    On 2007-06-23, sridhar wrote:

    > Could you pl. tell me how to run memtest86. I could get the rpm for
    > fc5. But I guess it is to be run before it boots up, but how and how
    > do I see the results? Any info on this will help.

    "System Rescue CD" is a bootable .iso image you can burn to a CD. Amoung
    the boot options is MemTest86; just select that, respond to the prompts
    and let it run.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread