Building kernel - a couple of quick questions - Setup

This is a discussion on Building kernel - a couple of quick questions - Setup ; Compiling a vanilla 2.6.20.6 kernel: (a) They say to compile it as normal user. Where? (b) I have a Sempron processor; should I choose one of the Athlon variants? TIA, Doug. -- It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal ...

  1. Building kernel - a couple of quick questions

    --
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    - Albert Einstein

  2. Re: Building kernel - a couple of quick questions

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:17:18 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    >Compiling a vanilla 2.6.20.6 kernel:

    Why not 2.6.20.14? Or 2.6.21.5?

    >(a) They say to compile it as normal user. Where?

    I use ~/linux

    >(b) I have a Sempron processor; should I choose one of the Athlon variants?

    Yeah, get a hint from /proc/cpuinfo

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: Building kernel - a couple of quick questions

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Compiling a vanilla 2.6.20.6 kernel:
    >
    > (a) They say to compile it as normal user. Where?

    My distro (RHEL3) puts the source in /usr/src/linux-xxx. It is considered
    poor form to do builds there, but that is where I do it. I do do 'make
    clean" afterwards. I think you are not supposed to build there because they
    do not want you running it out of space (for me, /usr/src is a separate
    partition, but I have a lot of disk space).

    > (b) I have a Sempron processor; should I choose one of the Athlon variants?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Doug.

    ^^-^^ 07:05:01 up 2 days, 14:40, 3 users, load average: 4.10, 4.20, 4.18

  4. Re: Building kernel - a couple of quick questions

    I demand that Grant may or may not have written...

    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:17:18 +1000, Doug Laidlaw
    > wrote:
    >> Compiling a vanilla 2.6.20.6 kernel:

    > Why not 2.6.20.14? Or 2.6.21.5?

    Could be to (try to) avoid having to rebuild some fiddly out-of-tree
    modules...?

    [snip]
    >> (b) I have a Sempron processor; should I choose one of the Athlon
    >> variants?

    > Yeah, get a hint from /proc/cpuinfo

    That'd be a 32-bit kernel build, then... K7 is a safe option. However, if
    it's a 64-bit Sempron (i.e. you know that from the packaging, or the "lm"
    flag is listed in /proc/cpuinfo), you can choose K8 or you can restart the
    configuration, this time with "ARCH=x86_64" appended to all of your
    kernel-related make commands.

    If you're using make-kpkg to compile for 64-bit from i386, its man page says
    that you want "--arch amd64 --cross-compile -".

    | + Generate power using sun, wind, water, nuclear. FORGET COAL AND OIL.

    Up your accumulator.

  5. Re: Building kernel - a couple of quick questions

    Darren Salt wrote:

    > I demand that Grant may or may not have written...
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:17:18 +1000, Doug Laidlaw
    >> wrote:
    >>> Compiling a vanilla 2.6.20.6 kernel:

    >> Why not 2.6.20.14? Or 2.6.21.5?

    > Could be to (try to) avoid having to rebuild some fiddly out-of-tree
    > modules...?

    For the classic reason: because it was there.
    > [snip]
    >>> (b) I have a Sempron processor; should I choose one of the Athlon
    >>> variants?

    >> Yeah, get a hint from /proc/cpuinfo

    > That'd be a 32-bit kernel build, then... K7 is a safe option. However, if
    > it's a 64-bit Sempron (i.e. you know that from the packaging, or the "lm"
    > flag is listed in /proc/cpuinfo), you can choose K8 or you can restart the
    > configuration, this time with "ARCH=x86_64" appended to all of your
    > kernel-related make commands.
    >
    > If you're using make-kpkg to compile for 64-bit from i386, its man page
    > says that you want "--arch amd64 --cross-compile -".

    It is 32-bit.

    Another one? I want to incorporate some changes to the .config file, but
    the info is supplied as just that. I can't find them or anything likely in
    the menu. Is there a way to work from .config to the menu?

    Doug.
    --
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
    accepting it.

  6. Re: Building kernel - a couple of quick questions

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Darren Salt wrote:
    >
    >> I demand that Grant may or may not have written...

    >>> Why not 2.6.20.14? Or 2.6.21.5?

    >> Could be to (try to) avoid having to rebuild some fiddly out-of-tree
    >> modules...?
    >>

    > For the classic reason: because it was there.

    and for some reason, 2.6.20.14 doesn't support my NV_SATA hardware, so I
    went to 2.6.21.5.

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread