[SOLVED] GRUB won't boot with a ServerWorks H1000 controller (SATA) - Setup

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] GRUB won't boot with a ServerWorks H1000 controller (SATA) - Setup ; After a long phone call with the technical support we got hold of a new BIOS version and that fixed the problem. Davide -- The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those, you've got ...

  1. [SOLVED] GRUB won't boot with a ServerWorks H1000 controller (SATA)

    --
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake those,
    you've got it made.

  2. Re: [SOLVED] GRUB won't boot with a ServerWorks H1000 controller (SATA)

    Davide Bianchi wrote:

    > After a long phone call with the technical support we got hold of a new
    > BIOS version and that fixed the problem.
    >
    > Davide

    Interesting. I had an old IDE/AGP system and replaced it with a
    SATA/PCExpress one. I am having a devil of a time making NVidia and sound
    work, across several distros, and both the sound and the video cards are by
    NVidia, who have a good reputation for supporting Linux.

    Doug.
    --
    If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise we do not
    believe in it at all.

  3. Re: [SOLVED] GRUB won't boot with a ServerWorks H1000 controller (SATA)

    I demand that Doug Laidlaw may or may not have written...

    [snip problem which turned out to be a BIOS bug]
    > I had an old IDE/AGP system and replaced it with a SATA/PCExpress one. I
    > am having a devil of a time making NVidia and sound work, across several
    > distros, and both the sound and the video cards are by NVidia, who have a
    > good reputation for supporting Linux.

    Sound works fine here - CK804 driven by ALSA intel8x0, kernel configured &
    built locally. (Are you sure that you don't mean built-in sound hardware?)

    Graphics, though - good reputation? No, that belongs to Intel and those nice
    shiny _open-source_ drivers of theirs. That said, I'm using older ATI mainly
    because I can easily get dual-head working with their hardware and it has
    better open-source support than nVidia.

    | + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    How do frogs die? They ker-mit suicide...

  4. Re: [SOLVED] GRUB won't boot with a ServerWorks H1000 controller (SATA)

    Darren Salt wrote:

    > Sound works fine here - CK804 driven by ALSA intel8x0, kernel configured &
    > built locally. (Are you sure that you don't mean built-in sound hardware?)

    Yes, it is a Gigabyte mobo. Onboard networking had problems until I
    installed the NIC from my previous system, onboard sound is detected but
    won't utter a squeak. I have a very old soundcard that doesn't support
    MIDI, and I don't want to reinstall that.

    Doug

+ Reply to Thread