Can't get dual-boot to work, always goes to Vista - Setup

This is a discussion on Can't get dual-boot to work, always goes to Vista - Setup ; I posted this earlier to linux.redhat.install, but I think that may be a low-activity group so I'm posting it here. I'm new to Linux, though I've been using PCs since they came out. I've got a machine running Vista and ...

  1. Can't get dual-boot to work, always goes to Vista

    I posted this earlier to linux.redhat.install, but I think that may be
    a low-activity group so I'm posting it here. I'm new to Linux, though
    I've been using PCs since they came out. I've got a machine running
    Vista and I added a 2nd hard drive to try out Linux (both drives are
    160GB). I have Fedora Core 6 and have run through the installation
    and modify install (many times now!) and when I reboot I never get a
    choice of OS to start up - the machine always comes up in Windows.
    Frustrating!

    Here is my drive information as given by the install program:

    VolGroup00 152480
    LogVol01 swap 1792
    LogVol00 ext3 150688

    Hard Drives
    /dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 ntfs 146726 start=1
    /dev/sda3 ntfs 5899

    /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb1 /boot ext3 102 start=1
    /dev/sdb2 VolGroup00 LVM PV 152523

    So, can somebody tell me what I need to do differently to make this
    all work? I'm amazed and disheartened that I am already stuck on page
    1, sentence 1.

    Thanks.
    Mike

  2. Re: Can't get dual-boot to work, always goes to Vista

    On 19 Jun, 23:33, Mike Silva wrote:
    > I posted this earlier to linux.redhat.install, but I think that may be
    > a low-activity group so I'm posting it here. I'm new to Linux, though
    > I've been using PCs since they came out. I've got a machine running
    > Vista and I added a 2nd hard drive to try out Linux (both drives are
    > 160GB). I have Fedora Core 6 and have run through the installation
    > and modify install (many times now!) and when I reboot I never get a
    > choice of OS to start up - the machine always comes up in Windows.
    > Frustrating!
    >
    > Here is my drive information as given by the install program:
    >
    > VolGroup00 152480
    > LogVol01 swap 1792
    > LogVol00 ext3 150688
    >
    > Hard Drives
    > /dev/sda
    > /dev/sda1 ntfs 146726 start=1
    > /dev/sda3 ntfs 5899
    >
    > /dev/sdb
    > /dev/sdb1 /boot ext3 102 start=1
    > /dev/sdb2 VolGroup00 LVM PV 152523
    >
    > So, can somebody tell me what I need to do differently to make this
    > all work? I'm amazed and disheartened that I am already stuck on page
    > 1, sentence 1.

    You've left out some vital information. In particular, what is your
    bootloader? Grub, or LILO? What do your boot loader configuration
    files say? And where did you install the boot loader?

    I'm betting that the Windows boot loader is on /dev/sda, and you
    selected to install the Linux boot loader on /dev/sdb, and the Windows
    boot loader is automatically being detected first.

  3. Re: Can't get dual-boot to work, always goes to Vista

    On Jun 20, 2:12 am, Nico wrote:
    > On 19 Jun, 23:33, Mike Silva wrote:
    >

    > > I posted this earlier to linux.redhat.install, but I think that may be
    > > a low-activity group so I'm posting it here. I'm new to Linux, though
    > > I've been using PCs since they came out. I've got a machine running
    > > Vista and I added a 2nd hard drive to try out Linux (both drives are
    > > 160GB). I have Fedora Core 6 and have run through the installation
    > > and modify install (many times now!) and when I reboot I never get a
    > > choice of OS to start up - the machine always comes up in Windows.
    > > Frustrating!

    > > Here is my drive information as given by the install program:

    > > VolGroup00 152480
    > > LogVol01 swap 1792
    > > LogVol00 ext3 150688

    > > Hard Drives
    > > /dev/sda
    > > /dev/sda1 ntfs 146726 start=1
    > > /dev/sda3 ntfs 5899

    > > /dev/sdb
    > > /dev/sdb1 /boot ext3 102 start=1
    > > /dev/sdb2 VolGroup00 LVM PV 152523

    > > So, can somebody tell me what I need to do differently to make this
    > > all work? I'm amazed and disheartened that I am already stuck on page
    > > 1, sentence 1.

    > You've left out some vital information. In particular, what is your
    > bootloader? Grub, or LILO?

    Sorry, Grub

    > What do your boot loader configuration
    > files say?

    I don't know. I don't even know where I would find such files.

    > And where did you install the boot loader?

    The config program gave me two options, the MBR and (I think, from
    memory) the /boot partition on the 2nd drive. I know the options
    involved the MBR and the Linux (2nd) drive, and I tried them both on
    different installs with identical results.

  4. Re: Can't get dual-boot to work, always goes to Vista

    On 20 Jun, 14:31, Mike Silva wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 2:12 am, Nico wrote:
    >

    > > On 19 Jun, 23:33, Mike Silva wrote:

    > > > I posted this earlier to linux.redhat.install, but I think that may be
    > > > a low-activity group so I'm posting it here. I'm new to Linux, though
    > > > I've been using PCs since they came out. I've got a machine running
    > > > Vista and I added a 2nd hard drive to try out Linux (both drives are
    > > > 160GB). I have Fedora Core 6 and have run through the installation
    > > > and modify install (many times now!) and when I reboot I never get a
    > > > choice of OS to start up - the machine always comes up in Windows.
    > > > Frustrating!

    > > > Here is my drive information as given by the install program:

    > > > VolGroup00 152480
    > > > LogVol01 swap 1792
    > > > LogVol00 ext3 150688

    > > > Hard Drives
    > > > /dev/sda
    > > > /dev/sda1 ntfs 146726 start=1
    > > > /dev/sda3 ntfs 5899

    > > > /dev/sdb
    > > > /dev/sdb1 /boot ext3 102 start=1
    > > > /dev/sdb2 VolGroup00 LVM PV 152523

    > > > So, can somebody tell me what I need to do differently to make this
    > > > all work? I'm amazed and disheartened that I am already stuck on page
    > > > 1, sentence 1.

    > > You've left out some vital information. In particular, what is your
    > > bootloader? Grub, or LILO?

    > Sorry, Grub
    >
    > > What do your boot loader configuration
    > > files say?

    > I don't know. I don't even know where I would find such files.
    >
    > > And where did you install the boot loader?

    > The config program gave me two options, the MBR and (I think, from
    > memory) the /boot partition on the 2nd drive. I know the options
    > involved the MBR and the Linux (2nd) drive, and I tried them both on
    > different installs with identical results.- Hide quoted text -

    Well, that explains it. It's finding your MBR from the first disk, the
    Windows MBR. You may be able to tell your BIOS to look at your second
    disk for an MBR first, or you can over-write that one with the grub
    boot loader, or you can even record your Linux MBR to a file and add
    it as an option for your Windows boot loader.

+ Reply to Thread