thanks to the group - Setup

This is a discussion on thanks to the group - Setup ; About 4 weeks ago I asked the group about a diskless print server. A few of you mentioned Freesco. I just wanted to say that I downloaded it configured it. (Ok took me a couple of days off and on ...

  1. thanks to the group

    About 4 weeks ago I asked the group about a diskless print server. A
    few of you mentioned Freesco. I just wanted to say that I downloaded
    it configured it. (Ok took me a couple of days off and on to
    configure) But it works like a charm. I just have one printer on it
    but it can use 10. I'm astounded that a copy of linux on a floppy
    disk, can be a print server, even have email, and fire wall. It blows
    my mind. Using it saves our charity one XP licence. If anything goes
    wrong (which it has not in 2 weeks) I just reboot and let it boot off
    the floppy and walk away. Its done.

    Anyway thanks to those who suggested it and if you are looking for the
    simplest thing its a winner.

  2. Re: thanks to the group

    steve wrote:
    > About 4 weeks ago I asked the group about a diskless print server. A
    > few of you mentioned Freesco. I just wanted to say that I downloaded
    > it configured it. (Ok took me a couple of days off and on to
    > configure) But it works like a charm. I just have one printer on it
    > but it can use 10. I'm astounded that a copy of linux on a floppy
    > disk, can be a print server, even have email, and fire wall. It blows
    > my mind. Using it saves our charity one XP licence. If anything goes
    > wrong (which it has not in 2 weeks) I just reboot and let it boot off
    > the floppy and walk away. Its done.
    >
    > Anyway thanks to those who suggested it and if you are looking for the
    > simplest thing its a winner.

    Shame you aren't in the UK, or I could have sent you a free print server
    in a box..

    They retail on ebay for about $10 if they sell at all.

    Then you could have used the computer for something more interesting..

  3. Re: thanks to the group

    steve wrote:
    > About 4 weeks ago I asked the group about a diskless print server. A
    > few of you mentioned Freesco. I just wanted to say that I downloaded
    > it configured it. (Ok took me a couple of days off and on to
    > configure) But it works like a charm. I just have one printer on it
    > but it can use 10. I'm astounded that a copy of linux on a floppy
    > disk, can be a print server, even have email, and fire wall. It blows
    > my mind. Using it saves our charity one XP licence. If anything goes
    > wrong (which it has not in 2 weeks) I just reboot and let it boot off
    > the floppy and walk away. Its done.
    >
    > Anyway thanks to those who suggested it and if you are looking for the
    > simplest thing its a winner.

    Now all we need to do is get the rest of your charity's computers
    switched over to linux.

    OpenOffice.org is a wonderful package that does pretty much everything
    that MS Office does. Word processing, spreadsheets, etc. Alternately,
    using Google Apps for word processing and spreadsheets has huge
    advantages since your data is stored online (which can be considered a
    disadvantage in some situations) which protects you from hard disk
    failure. It also makes it simple to share documents with others and to
    get to them from other locations besides the office.

    Perhaps a test system is the way to go. Grab a box, it doesn't need to
    be high end, and install a distro. I'm partial to Ubuntu, but many
    others will work just as well.

    If all you need is web browsing, email, spreadsheets, and word
    processing, there is absolutely no reason to stick to a Windows OS.

    Office Suite: OpenOffice.org or Google Apps
    Email: Thunderbird
    Browser: Firefox
    AntiVirus: Hahahahahahahaha - we don't need no stinkin' antivirus.

    --
    Ogre

  4. Re: thanks to the group

    Yes well sadly when you have an install base, its difficult to switch
    over. Like trying to wean a vampire from blood.

    Regards.

+ Reply to Thread