Can't login with xwindow - Setup

This is a discussion on Can't login with xwindow - Setup ; Hi all, Now my linux installation is not working. I log in through Xwindow login screen then it brings up a screen-wide dialog with white backgroud and a couple a buttons among which only the failsafe and cancel buttons clickable. ...

  1. Can't login with xwindow

    Hi all,

    Now my linux installation is not working. I log in through Xwindow
    login screen then it brings up a screen-wide dialog with white
    backgroud and a couple a buttons among which only the failsafe and
    cancel buttons clickable. If i hit the cancel button it says the
    session lasted less than 10 sec and there might be installation
    problem or not sufficient harddrive space and asks me to check
    ~/.xsession_error file. I open that file and can see a couple lines in
    there, the one on top reads:

    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1636, errno = 104

    What am I going to do the restore the normal xwindow session. Other
    than that i want to know who to force linux to boot into a text screen
    console without going into xwindow.

    Many thanks

    Timmy

  2. Re: Can't login with xwindow

    mdk wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Now my linux installation is not working. I log in through
    > Xwindow login screen then it brings up a screen-wide dialog with
    > white backgroud and a couple a buttons among which only the
    > failsafe and cancel buttons clickable. If i hit the cancel
    > button it says the session lasted less than 10 sec and there
    > might be installation problem or not sufficient harddrive space
    > and asks me to check ~/.xsession_error file. I open that file
    > and can see a couple lines in there, the one on top reads:
    >
    > ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1636, errno
    > = 104
    >
    > What am I going to do the restore the normal xwindow session.
    > Other than that i want to know who to force linux to boot into a
    > text screen console without going into xwindow.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Timmy

    Regarding the login problem, you'll probably get more help when
    you add some more details, like which distro you use and what
    version. Without those informations I would guess you have a
    misconfigured X, probably wrong resolutions for your video card.

    Regarding your second question, as root edit your /etc/inittab and
    change the default runlevel. The relevant line should reead then

    # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefult:

    HTH
    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  3. Re: Can't login with xwindow

    Joerg wrote:

    > mdk wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Now my linux installation is not working. I log in through
    >> Xwindow login screen then it brings up a screen-wide dialog with
    >> white backgroud and a couple a buttons among which only the
    >> failsafe and cancel buttons clickable. If i hit the cancel
    >> button it says the session lasted less than 10 sec and there
    >> might be installation problem or not sufficient harddrive space
    >> and asks me to check ~/.xsession_error file. I open that file
    >> and can see a couple lines in there, the one on top reads:
    >>
    >> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1636, errno
    >> = 104
    >>
    >> What am I going to do the restore the normal xwindow session.
    >> Other than that i want to know who to force linux to boot into a
    >> text screen console without going into xwindow.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Timmy

    > Regarding the login problem, you'll probably get more help when
    > you add some more details, like which distro you use and what
    > version. Without those informations I would guess you have a
    > misconfigured X, probably wrong resolutions for your video card.
    >
    > Regarding your second question, as root edit your /etc/inittab and
    > change the default runlevel. The relevant line should reead then
    >
    > # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    > id:3:initdefult:
    >
    > HTH
    > Joerg

    init 3 is without X; for X he needs init 5.

    Doug.
    --
    If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise we do not
    believe in it at all.

  4. Re: Can't login with xwindow

    mdk wrote:

    > I open that file and can see a couple lines in
    > there, the one on top reads:
    >
    > ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1636, errno = 104

    That is only a "nuisance" message; it drives me nuts. What does the second
    line say?

    I probably can't help you: I have never seen that screen; but to get a good
    response, please post at least your distro and the window manager you are
    using. Did you change anything just before this started? Look at
    www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ; the tips there will make for
    quicker results.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    The complete truth is not the prerogative of the human judge.
    - Judge Meir Shamgar.

  5. Re: Can't login with xwindow

    On 2007-06-23, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Joerg wrote:
    >> mdk wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Now my linux installation is not working. I log in through
    >>> Xwindow login screen then it brings up a screen-wide dialog with
    >>> white backgroud and a couple a buttons among which only the
    >>> failsafe and cancel buttons clickable. If i hit the cancel
    >>> button it says the session lasted less than 10 sec and there
    >>> might be installation problem or not sufficient harddrive space
    >>> and asks me to check ~/.xsession_error file. I open that file
    >>> and can see a couple lines in there, the one on top reads:
    >>>
    >>> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1636, errno
    >>> = 104
    >>>
    >>> What am I going to do the restore the normal xwindow session.
    >>> Other than that i want to know who to force linux to boot into a
    >>> text screen console without going into xwindow.

    >> Regarding the login problem, you'll probably get more help when
    >> you add some more details, like which distro you use and what
    >> version. Without those informations I would guess you have a
    >> misconfigured X, probably wrong resolutions for your video card.
    >>
    >> Regarding your second question, as root edit your /etc/inittab and
    >> change the default runlevel. The relevant line should reead then
    >>
    >> # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    >> id:3:initdefult:

    > init 3 is without X; for X he needs init 5.

    It may or may not be. Run levels 3, 4 and 5 can be anything. It
    depends on what the distro sets them to.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

+ Reply to Thread