how to start mysql server at boot time - Setup

This is a discussion on how to start mysql server at boot time - Setup ; dear everyone we've been starting mysql server manually by typing bin/safe_mysqld from the shell...but i wanted to know how we could set it start automatically upon restarting the machine.. i've been browsing the internet and found some solutions like this ...

  1. how to start mysql server at boot time

    dear everyone
    we've been starting mysql server manually by typing bin/safe_mysqld
    from the shell...but i wanted to know how we could set it start
    automatically upon restarting the machine.. i've been browsing the
    internet and found some solutions like this one:

    To start MySQL server automatically when you
    boot your machine,
    copy the mysql.server script to the `/etc/init.d'
    directory with the name
    mysql, and then make it executable

    cp support-files/mysql.server /etc/init.d/mysql
    chmod +x /etc/init.d/mysql

    10) Activate to run the script at system startup by
    adding to the chkconfig list

    chkconfig --add mysql
    chkconfig --level 345 mysql on

    i did found the mysql.server file but i am unable to do a chkconfig as
    it is returning a 'bash: chkconfig: command not found' msg..i tried
    '#whereis chkconfig' but returns no path, and '#man chkconfig' but
    says 'no manual entry for chkconfig'...does this mean i haven't
    intalled the chkconfig feature? how would i install it if am going to
    use this option?

    another option w/c i've been thnkng is to create a script (a .sh file)
    w/c would run this statement:
    cd /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.22-pc-linux-gnu-i686-glibc23
    bin/safe_mysqld

    ...but i don't know how to make this run upon start up...

    or are there any other way to restart the mysql server at boot time?
    i am new to linux...we really need somone's help
    grace

  2. Re: how to start mysql server at boot time

    On 2007-06-12, grace wrote:
    > from the shell...but i wanted to know how we could set it start
    > automatically upon restarting the machine.

    It depends by your distribution, if it uses System V startup scripts
    (/etc/init.d) add a script in there and connect it using the various
    runlevel directories.

    > i did found the mysql.server file but i am unable to do a chkconfig as
    > it is returning a 'bash: chkconfig: command not found' msg..i tried

    chkconfig is used in most RedHat and derivate distributions, maybe
    your distro doesn't use it.

    > ..but i don't know how to make this run upon start up...

    Moste distro have a 'local' script that is called after everything else,
    just put it in that script.

    Davide

    --
    I'm not in favor of senseless Micro$oft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing
    Micro$oft senseless.

  3. Re: how to start mysql server at boot time

    Ayon kay Davide Bianchi:
    > On 2007-06-12, grace wrote:
    > > from the shell...but i wanted to know how we could set it start
    > > automatically upon restarting the machine.

    > It depends by your distribution, if it uses System V startup scripts
    > (/etc/init.d) add a script in there and connect it using the various
    > runlevel directories.
    >
    > > i did found the mysql.server file but i am unable to do a chkconfig as
    > > it is returning a 'bash: chkconfig: command not found' msg..i tried

    > chkconfig is used in most RedHat and derivate distributions, maybe
    > your distro doesn't use it.
    >
    > > ..but i don't know how to make this run upon start up...

    > Moste distro have a 'local' script that is called after everything else,
    > just put it in that script.
    >
    > Davide
    >
    > --
    > I'm not in favor of senseless Micro$oft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing
    > Micro$oft senseless.
    > -- From a Slashdot.org post

    we are using ubuntu 5.10 (the breezy badger')...i could see the /etc/
    init.d folder..where i added a script which i named mysql.sh
    i then execute this command -> '# chmod +x /etc/init.d/mysql.sh
    to make it executable...
    then what's next? i am sorry i really don't know how to do it.. tnx...

  4. Re: how to start mysql server at boot time

    grace wrote:

    > we are using ubuntu 5.10 (the breezy badger')...i could see the /etc/
    > init.d folder..where i added a script which i named mysql.sh
    > i then execute this command -> '# chmod +x /etc/init.d/mysql.sh
    > to make it executable...
    > then what's next? i am sorry i really don't know how to do it.. tnx...

    Hmmm...

    How did you install mysql ?
    Normally 'apt-get install' should do all this stuff for you.

    I don't think that mysql.server is the correct script to put in init.d
    The scriptss that go here normally take a parameter like start or stop
    or restart or reload to tell them what to do.

    I *Think* (without seeing it - I don't have a mysql.server on my unubtu
    6.06), that this just starts mysql.

    If you just run it, and it starts mysql, then you need to run it from
    /etc/rc.local

    your rc.local probably looks something like this:

    -----------------

    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

    -------------

    What you need to do is to add the path to your mysql script on a new
    line at the end of that file, using your favourite text editor.

    e.g.:
    -----------------

    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

    #run mysql at startup
    /var/lib/mysql/mysql.server

    -------------

    You may also need to change the permissions on /etc/rc./local to make it
    executable by root:

    # chmod u+rwx /etc/rc.local

    Regards
    JohnT

  5. Re: how to start mysql server at boot time

    grace wrote:
    > dear everyone
    > we've been starting mysql server manually by typing bin/safe_mysqld
    > from the shell...but i wanted to know how we could set it start
    > automatically upon restarting the machine.. i've been browsing the
    > internet and found some solutions like this one:

    This is normally full automatic on modern Linux distributions. If you
    use Debian, Ubuntu or Gentoo Linux, they ship already scripts which
    helps to start MySQL full automatic at boot up.
    Maybe your Linux distribution has also a package which contains already
    MySQL?

    --
    saf
    E-Mail protected against spam: ihnnsfbg@smtp2.trashmail.net