Dual Boot problem - XP + Redhat, Sata + IDE - Setup

This is a discussion on Dual Boot problem - XP + Redhat, Sata + IDE - Setup ; Hi all, I just got a new HP that has a motherboard that has no IDE chain, just SATA. The SATA drive has Windows XP on it. I had an IDE drive and a PCI IDE controller lying around so ...

  1. Dual Boot problem - XP + Redhat, Sata + IDE

    Hi all,

    I just got a new HP that has a motherboard that has no IDE chain, just
    SATA. The SATA drive has Windows XP on it. I had an IDE drive and a
    PCI IDE controller lying around so I hooked up the drive via the
    controller and attempted to install Redhat 9 on it (it needs to be
    redhat9...don't ask).

    Now, during the install grub insisted on being installed on the SATA
    primary instead of the IDE primary. I didn't want this but could see
    no way around it except to unplug the SATA drive and then install
    linux.

    So far so good.

    Now, I want to be able to boot to Windows XP (on the SATA drive) using
    grub. I modified /boot/grub/devices.map so that it reads:

    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/hde
    (hd1) /dev/hda <--- I added this line and I got /dev/hda
    from dmesg which showed /dev/hda to be the SATA drive that has XP
    installed.

    I then modified by /etc/grub.conf by adding the following to the
    bottom:

    title Windows XP
    map (hd0)(hd1)
    map (hd1)(hd0)
    root (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    However, when I attempt to boot into Windows XP, I get:

    Booting 'Windows XP'

    map (hd0)(hd1)

    Error 11: Unrecognized device string

    Not sure what is going on. Can anyone help?

    Thank you.

    -Greg

  2. Re: Dual Boot problem - XP + Redhat, Sata + IDE

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:32:01 +0000, sprots wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just got a new HP that has a motherboard that has no IDE chain, just
    > SATA. The SATA drive has Windows XP on it. I had an IDE drive and a
    > PCI IDE controller lying around so I hooked up the drive via the
    > controller and attempted to install Redhat 9 on it (it needs to be
    > redhat9...don't ask).
    >
    > Now, during the install grub insisted on being installed on the SATA
    > primary instead of the IDE primary. I didn't want this but could see no
    > way around it except to unplug the SATA drive and then install linux.
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > Now, I want to be able to boot to Windows XP (on the SATA drive) using
    > grub. I modified /boot/grub/devices.map so that it reads:
    >
    > (fd0) /dev/fd0
    > (hd0) /dev/hde
    > (hd1) /dev/hda <--- I added this line and I got /dev/hda
    > from dmesg which showed /dev/hda to be the SATA drive that has XP
    > installed.

    Just a stab in the dark here but I thought the linux naming convention
    for SATA drives was /dev/sda?

    > I then modified by /etc/grub.conf by adding the following to the bottom:
    >
    > title Windows XP
    > map (hd0)(hd1)
    > map (hd1)(hd0)
    > root (hd0)
    > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > However, when I attempt to boot into Windows XP, I get:
    >
    > Booting 'Windows XP'
    >
    > map (hd0)(hd1)
    >
    > Error 11: Unrecognized device string
    >
    > Not sure what is going on. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > -Greg

  3. Re: Dual Boot problem - XP + Redhat, Sata + IDE

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:32:01 +0000, sprots wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just got a new HP that has a motherboard that has no IDE chain, just
    > SATA. The SATA drive has Windows XP on it. I had an IDE drive and a
    > PCI IDE controller lying around so I hooked up the drive via the
    > controller and attempted to install Redhat 9 on it (it needs to be
    > redhat9...don't ask).
    >
    > Now, during the install grub insisted on being installed on the SATA
    > primary instead of the IDE primary. I didn't want this but could see no
    > way around it except to unplug the SATA drive and then install linux.
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > Now, I want to be able to boot to Windows XP (on the SATA drive) using
    > grub. I modified /boot/grub/devices.map so that it reads:
    >
    > (fd0) /dev/fd0
    > (hd0) /dev/hde
    > (hd1) /dev/hda <--- I added this line and I got /dev/hda
    > from dmesg which showed /dev/hda to be the SATA drive that has XP
    > installed.

    The SATA drive is /dev/sda, not /dev/hda

    > I then modified by /etc/grub.conf by adding the following to the bottom:
    >
    > title Windows XP
    > map (hd0)(hd1)
    > map (hd1)(hd0)
    > root (hd0)
    > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > However, when I attempt to boot into Windows XP, I get:
    >
    > Booting 'Windows XP'
    >
    > map (hd0)(hd1)
    >
    > Error 11: Unrecognized device string
    >
    > Not sure what is going on. Can anyone help?

    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    Make sure that BIOS has the IDE drive set as the boot drive, and copy/
    past the above stanza into yout /boot/grub/grub.conf.

    If your machine gets a grub menu, the above will work. If it boots
    directly into Windows, you have the BIOS set to boot SATA first, and you
    will need to change that.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

+ Reply to Thread