Implementing Virtual Mailboxes/POP3/Webmail with postfix - Setup

This is a discussion on Implementing Virtual Mailboxes/POP3/Webmail with postfix - Setup ; Hi, I'm planning on building a new server for hosting websites/email. I'm fine with the website side, but I'm struggling to find a solution for the mailboxes. I plan to base the system on debian, with postfix as the MTA. ...

  1. Implementing Virtual Mailboxes/POP3/Webmail with postfix

    Hi,

    I'm planning on building a new server for hosting websites/email.

    I'm fine with the website side, but I'm struggling to find a solution
    for the mailboxes.

    I plan to base the system on debian, with postfix as the MTA.

    Then I get stuck.
    I want to be able to provide virtual mailboxes (to save creating a login
    for each mailbox) with pop3, and also provide mail forwarding, and webmail.

    I'm struggling to find a combination of forwarding/pop3/webmail that
    will all work with virtual mailboxes.

    There seems to be a lot of advice for qmail solutions, but not for postfix.

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks
    JohnT

  2. Re: Implementing Virtual Mailboxes/POP3/Webmail with postfix

    I've done this with Exim since it supports keeping account info in
    MySQL. I'm sure Postfix supports a database in some form, too.

    You'll also need something to handle the mail users. I recommend
    Courier-IMAP (also supports POP3) to handle client logins and such.

    If you're not fixed on using Postfix, take a look at
    http://silverwraith.com/vexim/ for the Exim solution.

    John Taylor wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning on building a new server for hosting websites/email.
    >
    > I'm fine with the website side, but I'm struggling to find a solution
    > for the mailboxes.
    >
    > I plan to base the system on debian, with postfix as the MTA.
    >
    > Then I get stuck.
    > I want to be able to provide virtual mailboxes (to save creating a login
    > for each mailbox) with pop3, and also provide mail forwarding, and webmail.
    >
    > I'm struggling to find a combination of forwarding/pop3/webmail that
    > will all work with virtual mailboxes.
    >
    > There seems to be a lot of advice for qmail solutions, but not for postfix.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >

    > Thanks
    > JohnT

+ Reply to Thread