rhel5 server install media kit is dvd-based, not cdrom - Setup

This is a discussion on rhel5 server install media kit is dvd-based, not cdrom - Setup ; I just got in the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Linux for x86, AMD64, and intel 64 media kit, and I notice they require you to have a dvd player to load linux. I recall rhel4 had both dvd ...

  1. rhel5 server install media kit is dvd-based, not cdrom

    I just got in the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    Server
    Linux for x86, AMD64, and intel 64

    media kit, and I notice they require you to have a dvd player to load
    linux. I recall rhel4 had both dvd and cdrom media in the box...

    The rhel5 bootable 'rescue disk' and the 'supplemental disk'
    are cdrom media, not dvd media.

  2. Re: rhel5 server install media kit is dvd-based, not cdrom

    "Frank Winans" wrote in
    message news:136gorrp5ileja4@corp.supernews.com...
    > I just got in the new Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    > Server
    > Linux for x86, AMD64, and intel 64
    >
    > media kit, and I notice they require you to have a dvd player to load
    > linux. I recall rhel4 had both dvd and cdrom media in the box...
    >
    > The rhel5 bootable 'rescue disk' and the 'supplemental disk'
    > are cdrom media, not dvd media.

    You can afford RHEL but you don't want to pop 20 bucks for
    a dvd reader?

    later.....

  3. Re: rhel5 server install media kit is dvd-based, not cdrom

    "***** charles" wrote
    > "Frank Winans" wrote
    > > rhel5 needs dvd to load, not just a cdrom player

    > You can afford RHEL but you don't want to pop 20 bucks for
    > a dvd reader?
    >
    > later.....

    I don't absolutely hate dvd drives, but I dislike them somewhat
    for many many small annoyances they've inflicted over the years.
    I was mainly posting as a warning so our gentle readers could plan
    ahead; sorry if it came off as whiney. < I'd have noted that they dropped the source-code rpm's from the
    rhel5 media kit, too...>>

+ Reply to Thread