Hi,

Reporting this to see if that rings a bell to someone and I could get
some
help with this problem, which is becoming increasingly irritating...

Running Ubuntu 7.04 on my Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop --- Celeron
M,
ATI video adapter, SB-800 chipset. Running with an external, USB
optical
mouse.

I constantly get the mouse pointer frozen --- the keyboard is alive,
and
pretty much everything that I can do with the keyboard works
perfectly
(Alt-TAB to go to other apps; if I have a terminal open, then I go to
that
terminal and I can type just about any shell command, and it will
work;
I can also do Alt-F4 --- which I do before forcing a hardware reboot).

If I attempt a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, or the shut-down (via sudo reboot,
or
via the GUI shutdown dialog), then the thing completely freezes (not
even Ctrl-Alt-F1 et al).

I normally do Alt-F4 for every application running, and then I have
press the power button to forcibly shut down.

The problem can be triggered at will by moving the mouse quickly;
or grabbing a scroll bar of an application and moving it very fast.

One colleague of mine tells me that quite likely it is due to buggy
support
for the ATI SB-800 chipset --- is that the case?

BTW, I did disable the touchpad (it annoys me beyond description),
and
I also upgraded to the latest BIOS (flashed it two days ago). The
BIOS
upgrade did not change a thing --- still freezes at a rate of many
times
per day. The problem was the same (but much less frequent) with FC5
with the ATI video drivers manually installed.

Anyone out there has encountered --- and even better, solved --- this
issue?

Thanks,

Carlos