Turning off CPU's / Partitioning CPU's - Setup

This is a discussion on Turning off CPU's / Partitioning CPU's - Setup ; Hello: We have RH installed on an eight cpu machine. We need, for resource issues to limit the number of CPU's that are active to 2. Is there a way to configure Linux so that either: 1) Only two cpu's ...

  1. Turning off CPU's / Partitioning CPU's

    Hello:

    We have RH installed on an eight cpu machine. We need, for resource
    issues to limit
    the number of CPU's that are active to 2. Is there a way to configure
    Linux so that either:

    1) Only two cpu's are active (temporarily)

    Or

    2) Create a virtual environment where some applications get access to
    2 cpu's while other processes and applications get access to the other
    cpu's ?

    Thanks

    Matthew Harelick

  2. Re: Turning off CPU's / Partitioning CPU's

    Matthew wrote:

    > We have RH installed on an eight cpu machine. We need, for resource
    > issues to limit
    > the number of CPU's that are active to 2. Is there a way to configure
    > Linux so that either:
    >
    > 1) Only two cpu's are active (temporarily)

    I don't know. You could use maxcpus=2 on the kernel command line, but
    you'd have to reboot, so it's not exactly temporarily.

    > 2) Create a virtual environment where some applications get access to
    > 2 cpu's while other processes and applications get access to the other
    > cpu's ?

    You can use taskset to start a process which uses only some CPUs.
    http://rlove.org/schedutils/

    Regards...
    Michael

  3. Re: Turning off CPU's / Partitioning CPU's

    In message e>
    michael.mauch@gmx.de (Michael Mauch) wrote:

    > Matthew wrote:
    >
    >> We have RH installed on an eight cpu machine. We need, for resource
    >> issues to limit
    >> the number of CPU's that are active to 2. Is there a way to configure
    >> Linux so that either:
    >>
    >> 1) Only two cpu's are active (temporarily)

    > I don't know. You could use maxcpus=2 on the kernel command line, but
    > you'd have to reboot, so it's not exactly temporarily.
    >
    >> 2) Create a virtual environment where some applications get access to
    >> 2 cpu's while other processes and applications get access to the other
    >> cpu's ?

    > You can use taskset to start a process which uses only some CPUs.
    > http://rlove.org/schedutils/
    >
    > Regards...
    > Michael

    This sounds a bit like the VMS Galaxy idea. It allows several
    instances of an operating system to run, with the number of CPUs
    allocated to each instance being adjustable.

    I mention it because I've heard of a demonstration where one of the
    instances was Linux (the others being VMS).

    The processors however had to be Dec Alpha - I don't know whether it
    runs on Itanium yet. I suspect it does.

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk