UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ? - Setup

This is a discussion on UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ? - Setup ; So, I installed Xp on HD1 (or 0, as it may be) Installed UbuntuStudio on HD2, no problemo Grub and all, no problemo HD3 I want to use for multimedia files (fat32, shared w/XP), but when I try to mount ...

  1. UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    So, I installed Xp on HD1 (or 0, as it may be)
    Installed UbuntuStudio on HD2, no problemo
    Grub and all, no problemo

    HD3 I want to use for multimedia files (fat32, shared w/XP), but when I
    try to mount it (in Nautilus) it requests an administrator passwd. I
    don't recall being prompted for an admin passwd while installing.

    Is there a default root passwd ?

    I guess I could terminal sudo root mount /dev/hdb2 or something
    or edit the fstab

    What's the easy way ?

    TIA
    Esben I.

  2. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    Esben I. wrote:
    >> Is there a default root passwd ?

    seems so, thx anyway
    Esben I.

  3. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:39:41 +0200, Esben I. wrote:

    > Esben I. wrote:
    >>> Is there a default root passwd ?

    > seems so, thx anyway
    > Esben I.

    Didn't see this thread till now so I don't know what preceded this
    "discussion" but the "root" password is same as the user's. It's just how
    sudo works in this distro.

    Quick aside - Ubuntu Studio is a very nice piece of work!

    Frank

  4. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    Frank writes:
    > Didn't see this thread till now so I don't know what preceded this
    > "discussion" but the "root" password is same as the user's.

    No it isn't. The password for sudo is the user's password. Root logins
    are disabled in the default Ubuntu configuration: there is no root password
    (and there is no such thing as a default root password in any Linux
    distribution I am aware of).

    > It's just how sudo works in this distro.

    Sudo works the same in Ubuntu as in any other distribution.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  5. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:51:39 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

    > Frank writes:
    >> Didn't see this thread till now so I don't know what preceded this
    >> "discussion" but the "root" password is same as the user's.

    > No it isn't. The password for sudo is the user's password. Root logins
    > are disabled in the default Ubuntu configuration: there is no root password
    > (and there is no such thing as a default root password in any Linux
    > distribution I am aware of).
    >
    >> It's just how sudo works in this distro.

    > Sudo works the same in Ubuntu as in any other distribution.

    Thanks for the clarification John.

    That's why I quoted root. There indeed is no "default" password for root
    in any distro I'm aware of.

    How sudo works in a distro like Ubuntu in the absence of a root account is
    it accepts the user's password for administrative operations. In the
    presence of a root account, that password would be required either for
    log-ins to perform system maintenance or for sudo to do the same.

    How much fun would it be if all every user had to do to access the bowels
    of the OS is go sudo?

    Frank

  6. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    Frank writes:
    > How sudo works in a distro like Ubuntu in the absence of a root account
    > is it accepts the user's password for administrative operations. In the
    > presence of a root account, that password would be required either for
    > log-ins to perform system maintenance or for sudo to do the same.

    From the sudo man page:

    If the invoking user is root or if the target user is the same as
    the invoking user, no password is required. Otherwise, sudo
    requires that users authenticate themselves with a password by
    default (NOTE: in the default configuration this is the user's
    password, not the root password).

    This has nothing to do with whether or not root logins are enabled.

    > How much fun would it be if all every user had to do to access the bowels
    > of the OS is go sudo?

    From the sudo man page again:

    sudo determines who is an authorized user by consulting the file
    /etc/sudoers.

    Thus "every user" would only be able to "access the bowels of the OS" if
    you gave them that privilege. Ubuntu gives full sudo privileges to the
    first (and only the first) user created. Try creating an second user. You
    will find that sudo will not work for him.

    man sudo
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  7. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:51:39 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

    > From the sudo man page:
    >
    > blah, blah, blah
    >
    > From the sudo man page again:
    >
    > blah, blah, blah again
    >
    > man sudo

    Well, I tried just what you said, and...it worked just as you said.
    That's it. You're going in my killfile!

    Actually I understood that the first user, the installer, gets that
    privilege. What I didn't know was 1. Anyone in the sudoers file could do
    sudo with their own password, even if there were a root account, and 2.
    Other users could be added to grant them that power.

    Cool. New to Ubuntu - I've messed around with Ubuntu, EdUbuntu, XUbuntu,
    Fluxbuntu, Studio (outstanding) and just yesterday, Server (all in VMs
    hosted on a Mac).

    Spent all my time in RedHat/Fedora and though I've sued many times I never
    sudoed till this distro.

    Frank

  8. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    Frank writes:
    > What I didn't know was 1. Anyone in the sudoers file could do sudo with
    > their own password, even if there were a root account, and 2. Other
    > users could be added to grant them that power.

    More interestingly, other users can be added to grant them lesser powers.
    You can specify in considerable detail exactly what each user can do.

    man sudoers
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  9. Re: UbuntuStudio, mounting a 2nd HD ?

    John Hasler wrote:
    > Root logins
    > are disabled in the default Ubuntu configuration: there is no root password
    > (and there is no such thing as a default root password in any Linux
    > distribution I am aware of).

    Very interesting, thx guys
    Esben I.

+ Reply to Thread