Diskless Print Server ?? - Setup

This is a discussion on Diskless Print Server ?? - Setup ; Can anyone give me any advice on what they would use for a diskless (cd based) or even small disk print server. We have a windows domain network and want users to print to a printer. We dont want to ...

  1. Diskless Print Server ??

    Can anyone give me any advice on what they would use for a diskless
    (cd based) or even small disk print server.

    We have a windows domain network and want users to print to a
    printer. We dont want to load windows on the computer that the
    printserver is on because we would have to pay for a lic on a machine
    that is just a print server. It needs very little security etc. it is
    just a print server. I dont want to much software on it as the more
    software the more posiblity there is for things to fail.

    Anybody give any advice.

    Regards

  2. Re: Diskless Print Server ??

    Freesco???

    --
    please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

    "steve" wrote in message
    news:1180451965.907159.164390@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Can anyone give me any advice on what they would use for a diskless
    > (cd based) or even small disk print server.
    >
    > We have a windows domain network and want users to print to a
    > printer. We dont want to load windows on the computer that the
    > printserver is on because we would have to pay for a lic on a machine
    > that is just a print server. It needs very little security etc. it is
    > just a print server. I dont want to much software on it as the more
    > software the more posiblity there is for things to fail.
    >
    > Anybody give any advice.
    >
    > Regards

  3. Re: Diskless Print Server ??

    steve wrote:
    > Can anyone give me any advice on what they would use for a diskless
    > (cd based) or even small disk print server.

    The currently idle Intel InBuysiness Print server that I have lying in
    my cupboard.

    IIRC it was about $20 when I got it. Its worth nothing now. Ebay full of em.

    > We have a windows domain network and want users to print to a
    > printer. We dont want to load windows on the computer that the
    > printserver is on because we would have to pay for a lic on a machine
    > that is just a print server. It needs very little security etc. it is
    > just a print server. I dont want to much software on it as the more
    > software the more posiblity there is for things to fail.

    Go on ebay and buy a dedicated box, The old Intel range are good enough
    for windows. Other good ones are HP JetDirect etc etc.

    Even a brand new one will be cheaper than a computer.

    > Anybody give any advice.
    >
    > Regards

  4. Re: Diskless Print Server ??

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:48:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Can anyone give me any advice on what they would use for a diskless
    >> (cd based) or even small disk print server.
    >>

    > The currently idle Intel InBuysiness Print server that I have lying in
    > my cupboard.
    >
    > IIRC it was about $20 when I got it. Its worth nothing now. Ebay full of em.
    >
    >> We have a windows domain network and want users to print to a
    >> printer. We dont want to load windows on the computer that the
    >> printserver is on because we would have to pay for a lic on a machine
    >> that is just a print server. It needs very little security etc. it is
    >> just a print server. I dont want to much software on it as the more
    >> software the more posiblity there is for things to fail.
    >>

    > Go on ebay and buy a dedicated box, The old Intel range are good enough
    > for windows. Other good ones are HP JetDirect etc etc.
    >
    > Even a brand new one will be cheaper than a computer.
    >

    >> Anybody give any advice.
    >>
    >> Regards

    The primary consideration is probably the interface to the printer.
    The old standard parallel interface is too slow for modern print jobs. If
    you have a HP laser which will accept a jet direct card, then the printer
    will be a TCP/IP peer on your network, and no other print server is
    required. If your printer is using a USB interface, then you can get a
    simple print server, such as this:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=165

    Or, as an alternate, you can setup Samba on a spare box which is connected
    to the printer. If you go the Samba route, you will not need a powerful
    computer and it can be setup to boot headless. Any GNU/Linux distribution
    can work in this role, but I'd opt for a "base" install of Slackware 11.
    The bonus with this method is that the spare box can also be used as a
    Samba file server, etc. The computer I have for this task is a Pentium
    166 with 64M RAM. It also has a modem for receiving faxes.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: Diskless Print Server ??

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 May 2007 23:48:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> Can anyone give me any advice on what they would use for a diskless
    >>> (cd based) or even small disk print server.
    >>>

    >> The currently idle Intel InBuysiness Print server that I have lying in
    >> my cupboard.
    >>
    >> IIRC it was about $20 when I got it. Its worth nothing now. Ebay full of em.
    >>
    >>> We have a windows domain network and want users to print to a
    >>> printer. We dont want to load windows on the computer that the
    >>> printserver is on because we would have to pay for a lic on a machine
    >>> that is just a print server. It needs very little security etc. it is
    >>> just a print server. I dont want to much software on it as the more
    >>> software the more posiblity there is for things to fail.
    >>>

    >> Go on ebay and buy a dedicated box, The old Intel range are good enough
    >> for windows. Other good ones are HP JetDirect etc etc.
    >>
    >> Even a brand new one will be cheaper than a computer.
    >>

    >>> Anybody give any advice.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>

    > The primary consideration is probably the interface to the printer.
    > The old standard parallel interface is too slow for modern print jobs.

    It will certainly run faster than a 10MbpS link will feed it. I run all
    parallel on even 100mpbs and its all slower than the parallel interface
    will go native..

    If
    > you have a HP laser which will accept a jet direct card, then the printer
    > will be a TCP/IP peer on your network, and no other print server is
    > required. If your printer is using a USB interface, then you can get a
    > simple print server, such as this:
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=165

    USB IS slower than parallel IME.

    > Or, as an alternate, you can setup Samba on a spare box which is connected
    > to the printer. If you go the Samba route, you will not need a powerful
    > computer and it can be setup to boot headless. Any GNU/Linux distribution
    > can work in this role, but I'd opt for a "base" install of Slackware 11.
    > The bonus with this method is that the spare box can also be used as a
    > Samba file server, etc. The computer I have for this task is a Pentium
    > 166 with 64M RAM. It also has a modem for receiving faxes.

    we used to do that..but with print servers in a box being peanuts, the
    novelty wore off. AND they DO need disks.

+ Reply to Thread