compact flash boot? [thinkpad x31, but also others] - Setup

This is a discussion on compact flash boot? [thinkpad x31, but also others] - Setup ; my thinkpad x31 has a compact flash slot, which is basically a short pcmcia slot in this case---almost every notebook likely has one, so my question is fairly portable. many desktop computers have compact flash card slots, too, though often ...

  1. compact flash boot? [thinkpad x31, but also others]

    my thinkpad x31 has a compact flash slot, which is basically a short
    pcmcia slot in this case---almost every notebook likely has one, so my
    question is fairly portable. many desktop computers have compact
    flash card slots, too, though often usb based. the compact flash
    memory itself is also having good speed, with some vendors advertising
    10MB/sec. (266x speeds---I don't believe it, but presumably it means
    reasonable fast.)

    I am now thinking about installing ubuntu on a 2GB fast flash drive.
    I guess booting a computer from CF usually doesn't work, so I may need
    to install grub on the IDE hard disk, perhaps create a small boot
    partition on the hard disk, too; and after bootup, umount the /boot/
    partition, and try to convince the hard drive to spin down. (can
    standard internal 2.5" IDE drives spin down on command?) a compact
    flash system should keep the system cooler and save battery. if I get
    lucky, it may even be a little faster (due to faster random access
    times, not streaming speed, of course). if I need huge storage, I
    can always spin up the hard drive, remount my partition, and then spin
    down the driveagain.

    has anyone tried this before?

    sincerely,

    /iaw

  2. Re: compact flash boot? [thinkpad x31, but also others]

    In article news:<1180300176.015882.108480@m36g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    > I guess booting a computer from CF usually doesn't work, ...

    It depends on the BIOS. If the BIOS supports booting from a medium in a CF
    slot then you can boot from that medium. It's not uncommon for linux-based
    firewall devices using e.g. IPCop or smoothwall on PC-like hardware to boot
    from a CF (or PCMCIA) disk in this way.

    2GB might be a bit small for Ubuntu -- I failed to get an old laptop with a
    2GB disk to work with Ubuntu but the reason there may have been low RAM
    capacity (64MB) not disk space, I don't recall (I got Debian working, but
    with only about 100MB for user data).

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread