free spyware and virus checker for Linux? - Setup

This is a discussion on free spyware and virus checker for Linux? - Setup ; Is there such an animal as a free spyware and virus checker for Linux? -- Carpet diem = Seize the carpet...

  1. free spyware and virus checker for Linux?

    Is there such an animal as a free spyware and virus checker for Linux?

    --
    Carpet diem = Seize the carpet

  2. Re: free spyware and virus checker for Linux?

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:02:03 GMT, Umma Gumma wrote:
    > Is there such an animal as a free spyware and virus checker for Linux?

    Using free spyware and virus checker for Linux
    in the following url we find

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,570 for free spyware and virus checker for Linux

    --------- standard search tip follows ---------------------

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    key word(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    --------- end standard search tip text ---------------------

  3. Re: free spyware and virus checker for Linux?

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:02:03 +0000, Umma Gumma wrote:

    > Is there such an animal as a free spyware and virus checker for Linux?

    ClamAV : http://www.clamav.net
    F-Prot (free, as in beer, for home users): http://www.f-prot.com/

    Viruses...
    Linux viruses do exist, in theory. The main purpose for using AV on
    GNU/Linux is to prevent prevalent viruses from spreading. AFAICT, The
    most prevalent viruses are written with another platform targetted
    specifically. For example, using AV could prevent you from forwarding an
    EMail with a virus attached. I would say that the virus would need to be
    "forwarded" because it is unlikely that a virus would be attached from a
    native GNU/Linux system, and be self-propogating from that platform.

    Spyware...
    AFAICT, spyware is divided into two categories:
    1. Designed to track a specific online presence and activity. This method
    uses browser cookie tracking, IP connection tracking between collaborating
    or associated websites (such as, was publicized with doubleclick), and
    other forms of data mining.

    2. More virus-like behaviour (keyloggers, rootkits, etc.) This form could
    enlist the PC in a bot-net, etc. IMO, people would not be sane if they
    allowed their computer to be controlled in this manner.

    Given the stark contrast to the two forms it is important to distiguish
    which form is of most concern.

+ Reply to Thread