laptop display problems with Linux live CD - Setup

This is a discussion on laptop display problems with Linux live CD - Setup ; I have tried many different live CDs for my laptop, but nearly all of them produce a blank screen just as it switches to the desktop. One day, as I was trying a live CD, I had the laptop plugged ...

  1. laptop display problems with Linux live CD

    I have tried many different live CDs for my laptop, but nearly all of
    them produce a blank screen just as it switches to the desktop. One
    day, as I was trying a live CD, I had the laptop plugged into my TV
    via the monitor out plug and low and behold the TV was displaying the
    desktop! (That was Knoppix)

    I have tried to use the Fn key to switch where the display is being
    directed (LCD or monitor out), but this doesn't work.

    I have tried to deactivate the external monitor via the bios, but this
    doesn't seem to be an option.

    Simply MEPIS is the only live CD that I have gotten to work with my
    laptop. This has been a good live CD, but I would like to try some
    others as well!

  2. Re: laptop display problems with Linux live CD

    On 27 May, 01:47, techni...@speedpost.net wrote:
    > I have tried many different live CDs for my laptop, but nearly all of
    > them produce a blank screen just as it switches to the desktop. One
    > day, as I was trying a live CD, I had the laptop plugged into my TV
    > via the monitor out plug and low and behold the TV was displaying the
    > desktop! (That was Knoppix)

    I've found several laptops that winid up with the X output on the
    external video port, or can successfully switch the X to the external
    monitor port and more successfully detect and configure the monitor.
    Laptops are awful about using the "chipset of the day" for their
    graphics, and it's tough for a LiveCD to stay up to date with them
    all.

    > I have tried to use the Fn key to switch where the display is being
    > directed (LCD or monitor out), but this doesn't work.
    >
    > I have tried to deactivate the external monitor via the bios, but this
    > doesn't seem to be an option.
    >
    > Simply MEPIS is the only live CD that I have gotten to work with my
    > laptop. This has been a good live CD, but I would like to try some
    > others as well!

    Which other ones have you tried? And were the uhe CD's up to date, and
    were the laptops common models or weird
    Taiwan bottom-of-the-barrel ones using chipsets with the
    manufacturer's numbers filed off? (I've actually seen this!)

  3. Re: laptop display problems with Linux live CD

    On May 27, 6:55 pm, Nico wrote:
    > On 27 May, 01:47, techni...@speedpost.net wrote:
    >
    > > I have tried many different live CDs for my laptop, but nearly all of
    > > them produce a blank screen just as it switches to the desktop. One
    > > day, as I was trying a live CD, I had the laptop plugged into my TV
    > > via the monitor out plug and low and behold the TV was displaying the
    > > desktop! (That was Knoppix)

    > I've found several laptops that winid up with the X output on the
    > external video port, or can successfully switch the X to the external
    > monitor port and more successfully detect and configure the monitor.
    > Laptops are awful about using the "chipset of the day" for their
    > graphics, and it's tough for a LiveCD to stay up to date with them
    > all.
    >
    > > I have tried to use the Fn key to switch where the display is being
    > > directed (LCD or monitor out), but this doesn't work.

    > > I have tried to deactivate the external monitor via the bios, but this
    > > doesn't seem to be an option.

    > > Simply MEPIS is the only live CD that I have gotten to work with my
    > > laptop. This has been a good live CD, but I would like to try some
    > > others as well!

    > Which other ones have you tried? And were the the CD's up to date, and
    > were the laptops common models or weird
    > Taiwan bottom-of-the-barrel ones using chipsets with the
    > manufacturer's numbers filed off? (I've actually seen this!)

    The following Live CD/DVDs have not worked with my laptop. This is a
    recent Sharp laptop purchased about two years ago.

    Knoppix,
    Suse 10
    Ubuntu 6.10
    SLAX ( a recent version)

    If there are suggestions for other Live CD/DVDs I would love to try
    them! I am really thinking that my laptop is the problem,
    unfortunately.

  4. Re: laptop display problems with Linux live CD

    On 30 May 2007 05:10:30 -0700,technical@speedpost.net, wrote

    > On May 27, 6:55 pm, Nico wrote:
    > > On 27 May, 01:47, techni...@speedpost.net wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have tried many different live CDs for my laptop, but nearly all of
    > > > them produce a blank screen just as it switches to the desktop. One
    > > > day, as I was trying a live CD, I had the laptop plugged into my TV
    > > > via the monitor out plug and low and behold the TV was displaying the
    > > > desktop! (That was Knoppix)

    > > I've found several laptops that winid up with the X output on the
    > > external video port, or can successfully switch the X to the external
    > > monitor port and more successfully detect and configure the monitor.
    > > Laptops are awful about using the "chipset of the day" for their
    > > graphics, and it's tough for a LiveCD to stay up to date with them
    > > all.
    > >
    > > > I have tried to use the Fn key to switch where the display is being
    > > > directed (LCD or monitor out), but this doesn't work.

    > > > I have tried to deactivate the external monitor via the bios, but this
    > > > doesn't seem to be an option.

    > > > Simply MEPIS is the only live CD that I have gotten to work with my
    > > > laptop. This has been a good live CD, but I would like to try some
    > > > others as well!

    > > Which other ones have you tried? And were the the CD's up to date, and
    > > were the laptops common models or weird
    > > Taiwan bottom-of-the-barrel ones using chipsets with the
    > > manufacturer's numbers filed off? (I've actually seen this!)

    > The following Live CD/DVDs have not worked with my laptop. This is a
    > recent Sharp laptop purchased about two years ago.
    >
    > Knoppix,
    > Suse 10
    > Ubuntu 6.10
    > SLAX ( a recent version)
    >
    > If there are suggestions for other Live CD/DVDs I would love to try
    > them! I am really thinking that my laptop is the problem,
    > unfortunately.

    Actually I have the opportunity to try several live distributions
    in the last few months and Mandriva 2006 thru 2007 Spring works a treat
    but so does DSL current,
    Puppy 2.0.3cc,
    Ubunto 7.04,
    Fedora Core 5,

    Mandriva 2007 Spring updated my previous 2007 without any hitches
    last weekend. It is running on a cheap desktop replacement (heavy
    laptop) with Celeron 1.8, 512 MB of DRAM and doing dual boot on a
    111 GB hard drive. SiS chipset all around. I had to add a
    refurbished 3COM PCMCIA modem to get it online.

    You guys who offer advice here are great to spend so much time
    with ignorant newbies and help Linux spread. I have been reading
    for just over a year and am still using my Amiga for posting and
    e-mail after an exhaustion fueled mistake crashed my initial address
    and newsgroup listings on the "compromise" as I call my other computer.
    Thanks again for all the hints and help you meant for others
    but which I also profitted by.

    later
    bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

    --
    bobbie sellers - (Back to Angband) Team *AMIGA SF-LUG*
    bliss at california dot com

    Cocoa refers not to a computer but the food.

+ Reply to Thread