Where did the upper right hand menu go? - Setup

This is a discussion on Where did the upper right hand menu go? - Setup ; In my enthusiasm to delve into Linux I inadvertently hide the upper right hand menu on myself. I clicked there a couple of times while there was a lot of disc activity. I saw flashes of a little box appearing ...

  1. Where did the upper right hand menu go?

    In my enthusiasm to delve into Linux I inadvertently hide the upper right
    hand menu on myself. I clicked there a couple of times while there was a lot
    of disc activity. I saw flashes of a little box appearing to the left on the
    desktop and now my menu is invisible...not there. How do I get it back?

  2. Re: Where did the upper right hand menu go?

    Umma Gumma did eloquently scribble:
    > In my enthusiasm to delve into Linux I inadvertently hide the upper right
    > hand menu on myself. I clicked there a couple of times while there was a lot
    > of disc activity. I saw flashes of a little box appearing to the left on the
    > desktop and now my menu is invisible...not there. How do I get it back?

    So far, you haven't told us ANYTHING we'd need to know in order to help you.
    What "right hand menu"?
    What distro?
    What window manager?
    What desktop?

    As no-one here has ever seen your computer how can we know anything about
    how it's setup?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  3. Re: Where did the upper right hand menu go?

    In comp.os.linux.setup, Umma Gumma

    wrote
    on Sat, 26 May 2007 07:22:38 GMT
    <2fR5i.223273$aG1.144364@pd7urf3no>:
    > In my enthusiasm to delve into Linux I inadvertently hide the upper right
    > hand menu on myself. I clicked there a couple of times while there was a lot
    > of disc activity. I saw flashes of a little box appearing to the left on the
    > desktop and now my menu is invisible...not there. How do I get it back?

    As another poster has commented, we'll need more information.

    [1] KDE or Gnome?
    [2] Which distro?
    [3] Are you running an application whose menus have vanished,
    or are you referring to the main desktop?

    at least. (In #3, I can at least guess you're referring to the main
    desktop.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
    elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

  4. Re: Where did the upper right hand menu go?

    I demand that The Ghost In The Machine may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > [1] KDE or Gnome?

    Yes, right...

    > [2] Which distro?

    Don't you mean

    [2] Fedora or Ubuntu?

    ;-)

    [snip]
    | RISC OS, Debian | youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
    | + Use more efficient products. Use less. BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

    If enough data is collected, anything may be proven by statistics.

  5. Re: Where did the upper right hand menu go?

    In comp.os.linux.setup, Darren Salt

    wrote
    on Sat, 26 May 2007 17:37:52 +0100
    <4EEE8E11F0%news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>:
    > I demand that The Ghost In The Machine may or may not have written...
    >
    > [snip]
    >> [1] KDE or Gnome?

    > Yes, right...
    >
    >> [2] Which distro?

    > Don't you mean
    >
    > [2] Fedora or Ubuntu?
    >
    > ;-)

    I use Gentoo, young whippersnapper! ;-)

    To be sure, the distro might make a difference in the
    configuration. I for one can't say.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's there and it works.
    Windows. It's there, but does it work?

  6. Re: Where did the upper right hand menu go?

    Darren Salt did eloquently scribble:
    > I demand that The Ghost In The Machine may or may not have written...

    > [snip]
    >> [1] KDE or Gnome?

    > Yes, right...

    >> [2] Which distro?