networking - Setup

This is a discussion on networking - Setup ; I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any support groups, so here I am... I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up home networking. I can ping my windows machine from the Linux box ...

  1. networking

    I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any
    support groups, so here I am...

    I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up home networking. I can
    ping my windows machine from the Linux box and can ping the lInux box
    from Windows. Under Applications, network servers in Linux it shows
    Windows Network. Under File in the network window if I try to Open, I
    get a bland screen and if I try to browse folder I get smb:/// and
    that's all. I have a home network set up and working with all other
    computers: Two other Windows machines and three Linux boxes, two of
    which are running Ubuntu and one running SUSE and they all work fine
    with both file sharing and print sharing. I can't see the Scientific
    Linux box from any other system in the house.

    From the Scientific box I access the Internet - as I do with all other
    computers - through a cable modem, router and hub.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: networking

    Joe O schrieb:
    > I have Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise. I don't see any
    > support groups, so here I am...
    >

    > get a bland screen and if I try to browse folder I get smb:/// and
    > that's all. I have a home network set up and working with all other

    open a root console.
    smbclient -N -L : you should see available shares.
    mount -t cifs //host/share /mountpoint : mount a share

    HTH Martin

+ Reply to Thread